New Boards?

Just had a thought: We could put the Life Stories and Fireplace boards together in their own section. I think they fit together.

Thoughts?
I think these two have fairly seperate roles...where life stories and blogs still tends to be fairly poly-centric in it's subject matter, and the Fireplace is an off-the-Poly-Topic area.

"The Fireplace" - I saw someone say in another thread that they had wanted to talk about something (was it a health issue or a health issue of family member or something... I can't remember...) but they felt hesitant to post it in "The Fireplace" because that area of the forum currently isn't very active and he/she wasn't sure anyone would want to hear about it.

That was me.

I would love to see a section for "experienced poly"

But I don't think it needs to be... closed to everyone.
I'm more thinking of... how do I word this?

When you click on "new to poly" you expect to read things pertienent to NEW to poly issues right?
A section labeled "experienced in poly" or soemthing along those lines could still be OPEN to everyone-but they would/could expect to see threads tht pertain less to "omg my girlfriend just told me she's poly and my heart is breaking" and more "wow this is our 10th year in poly and we're making a life change to include a baby" or the like...

Does that make any sense?

I think somehow we got stuck on the "closed area" idea. But for me-I don't think it needs to be CLOSED so much as I'd like to be able to find threads that are..........mature? in their poly topic...

Just had a thought: We could put the Life Stories and Fireplace boards together in their own section. I think they fit together.

Thoughts?

I think that's good thought.

What about adding one in that same section for... "day to day life"?

Where we could talk about normal day to day life without getting lost? Fireplace seems more of a "story" thing and life stories is more like "this is our poly story" but what about... like this last month-I was interested in some feedback about the medical issues i've been struggling with? That's just day to day life...
Or RP's 40th bday or Mono and Rp's anniversary, those are day to day life....

They pertain to OUR poly lives-but not to poly in general and ceratinly not to "new to poly" peoples needs/issues. ;)

I think that's good thought.

What about adding one in that same section for... "day to day life"?

Where we could talk about normal day to day life without getting lost? Fireplace seems more of a "story" thing and life stories is more like "this is our poly story" but what about... like this last month-I was interested in some feedback about the medical issues i've been struggling with? That's just day to day life...
Or RP's 40th bday or Mono and Rp's anniversary, those are day to day life....

They pertain to OUR poly lives-but not to poly in general and ceratinly not to "new to poly" peoples needs/issues. ;)

How about CHANGING the name from "Fireplace" to "Everyday Life". That's what's IN the "Fireplace" already. It's not like it's full of ghost stories and hot chocolate. I become frustrated when there are so many similar separate categories. We don't need a clever name at the expense of description.

I think these two have fairly seperate roles...where life stories and blogs still tends to be fairly poly-centric in it's subject matter, and the Fireplace is an off-the-Poly-Topic area.

True. The current configuration, however, has the Fireplace grouped with polycentric boards, also.

I view the two as working together as both involve sharing what's happening in life, whether it involves relationships or not.

True. The current configuration, however, has the Fireplace grouped with polycentric boards, also.

I view the two as working together as both involve sharing what's happening in life, whether it involves relationships or not.

I find Fireplace to be more of a general topic anything but poly place. And doesn't really follow the same logic as the blog one.

I think it was lumped with the poly boards because there probably wouldn't be as much sense lumping it by itself.

If anything, the Layout might be modified as follows:
Polyamory:
as is,
minus Fireplace.
Plus - Advanced Topics (however named)

Add Category - General Interest:
Move Fireplace here
Life stories & blogs...could go here, or remain in Poly....either way.

Dating:
No Change

My thoughts on Advanced topics is that it should probably be invisible or restricted from guests. Otherwise I think the content would be mostly self regulating...as happens with New to Poly threads. Option always exists to move threads if they're started up in a less optimal area.

My thoughts on Advanced topics is that it should probably be invisible or restricted from guests. Otherwise I think the content would be mostly self regulating...as happens with New to Poly threads. Option always exists to move threads if they're started up in a less optimal area.

Why would advanced topics need to be invisible if they are topics that are generally about polyamory?

Why would advanced topics need to be invisible if they are topics that are generally about polyamory?

Some had expressed interest in wanting to have slightly more privacy to discuss things...particularly if there are personal aspects that might come up in such discussions.

A case could be made for either option. That's the one I would lean towards...open to members, closed to guests. Just me.

Last edited:
Some had expressed interest in wanting to have slightly more privacy to discuss things...particularly if there are personal aspects that might come up in such discussions.

If we follow that reasoning then how would a "New to Poly" board be less personal with the stories people bring there than an "Experienced Poly" board?

A case could be made for either option. That's the one I would lean towards...open to members, closed to guests. Just me.

Personally, I don't see a reason for a private/experienced section. If you want more privacy to discuss ....why not IM or PM?

Sea

If we follow that reasoning then how would a "New to Poly" board be less personal with the stories people bring there than an "Experienced Poly" board?

<shrug> Wasn't debating it Ceoli. Just stating my opinion.
(Which is not immutable...like most of the rest of my opinions)

Questioning the reasoning behind a suggestion about how to structure the boards doesn't automatically equal a debate. I'm merely pointing out why I disagree with it which I guess would qualify as stating my opinion about it.

Personally, I don't see a reason for a private/experienced section. If you want more privacy to discuss ....why not IM or PM?

Sea
In terms of requiring privacy to discuss identifiable details...I absolutely concur. There are other mechanisms for that.

In terms of prying eyes from a random surf past...boss, coworker, etc...depends on how others feel about it.
(I don't have a vested interest in it....I'm too paranoid to post anything too personal on any public forum.)

In terms of prying eyes from a random surf past...boss, coworker, etc...depends on how others feel about it.
(I don't have a vested interest in it....I'm too paranoid to post anything too personal on any public forum.)
A couple of thoughts about this:

1 - In terms of a random surf, then if someone finds content on this board, you could equally question back what they were doing reading here if the content is an issue! :D

2a - In terms of someone actually finding you, you can set the board so that threads here are not Google (or other search engine) searchable. (Right now threads on this board ARE Google searchable - search for your user name in Google and your poly forum posts will show up in the search results.)

2b - In other terms of finding people - if privacy is an issue, then make sure that your username is not something that people would associate with you or one that you use on other boards. Don't post names or personal information.

As far as true privacy goes - restricting the boards to registered members only is purely window dressing when it comes to privacy. I registered for this board in less than 3 mins. I signed up, clicked "I agree", entered the captcha, and confirmed my email addy. Voila - I was a member here. Now I think I've posted enough for people to realize I'm not a stalker or lurker or here for some nefarious reasons ... but ultimately unless you make it a closed, restricted access, admin approval needed process, any Joe Schmoe can create a member name and read the board.

If people want to post things that are THAT private and personal, I'd suggest that a public message board might not be the place to do it. To change the message board to allow private and personal postings for a few people would be detrimental to the community at large, IMO.

But as I said in my first post to this thread: It all depends on what kind of community you're trying to create.

I don't find a way to send a welcoming PM. I may be able to post a special notice that new members can see on the boards (and will disappear after a set time), though I'm uncertain about how that works, exactly.

I found controls for a welcoming message while researching controls for closing the site to search engines (which I've not found as yet). What would be good info for the welcoming message?

How about CHANGING the name from "Fireplace" to "Everyday Life". That's what's IN the "Fireplace" already. It's not like it's full of ghost stories and hot chocolate. I become frustrated when there are so many similar separate categories. We don't need a clever name at the expense of description.

I can't call it the Poop Deck? :eek:

I found controls for a welcoming message while researching controls for closing the site to search engines (which I've not found as yet). What would be good info for the welcoming message?

I know this is a little lazy, but I'll link you to my opinion on this other thread for that question.

Finals and all. :)

... while researching controls for closing the site to search engines ...

(a) How come?

(b) Would that make it more difficult to find us? (The site, that is.)

Last edited:
Back