being bold in public

booklady78

I had an opportunity to be rather bold in public this past weekend, here's what happened :)

My bf and I were at a comedy club and were seated right near the stage. At one point, the comedian sees my bf and I holding hands and asks us a few simple questions, 'How long have you two been together?", I answer '8 months' he replies 'Ah, no wonder you're still holding hands, I give it another year'. Audience chuckles and comedian continues on. He had a good act, but the audience didn't seem that impressed, only a few chuckles now and then.

He turns back to my bf and I later and asks us if we've ever been married, we look at each other and my bf replies 'No, but she still is!' to which the audience perks up a bit, comedian jumps on this. He says to me 'Oh, so you're seperated then?' and I say 'No' with a big grin on my face. He asks me to explain what my husband would think of me out with another man to which I reply 'He doesn't mind, he's out with his gf right now'. Comedian is loving this, with great flourish pulls his stool up in front of our table and asks some more questions. I tell him I'm polyamorous and he politely asks a couple questions. At one point, my bf tried to enter the conversation, but the comic shut him down with some smart ass comment about me being 'the one in charge with 2 men in my life' :p He didn't really joke too much, he seemed curious and just a bit flabbergasted. He said 'You know, the you've really freaked out the audience with all this, but it's the strongest reaction from this crowd I've got all night!'

It really was rather funny, my heart was racing the whole time, but it felt so incredibly liberating to just be open about it. The comedian wasn't rude or disrespectful, he handled it well. Don't think anyone had ever answered his 'Have you ever been married?' question quite like that before :p

You really need to copy paste this story to the " poly things that make you smile" This sounds like a great time!;)

Sounds like an awesome night! I don't think I could be that open in front of an audience!

My husband is a stand-up comic and works our relationship into some of his jokes.

So was this comedian funny at all besides what happened with you folks?

(I used to write rhyming poems)

Very cool. I'm proud of you. It's it great to find at least one way to be honest about your life and it not come back to bite you in the ass?;):D

Congrats! That is so kickass... :D

I went to a comedy club where the comedian started to joke about polyamory. I thought it was pretty funny because it shows polyamory going mainstream. The only joke I really remember was when he said, "'Polyamory' comes from the Greek, 'poly,' to mean 'many' and from the latin, 'amory,' to mean 'diseases.'"

YGirl, the comedian was funny, the audience was just kinda 'checked out' not really listening, texting, etc. My bf and I thought he was pretty funny though.

II - LOL! Yeah, nothing like shocking Rednecks, it's what us Liberals do for fun on Friday nights :p

Holy shit way to go!!!! can i get a HELL YEAH or an AMEN! SOMETHING!!! ANYTHING!!! JUST MAKE SOME NOISE!
WHOAHH!!!
It is so wonderful to hear these kind of stories where people are open and honest and out of the closet so to speak with complete strangers! :)

and kudos to the comic, man he may not have been a great comic ( cause you say the audience wasn't really too interested or engaged?) but he is definitely a great person!
this just made my day and made me smile! wish we all had your courage!

Last edited by a moderator:
that's awesome that you could be that open! how did the audience react? I hope they were as relaxed as the comedian

LOL! Thanks for the support Honestheart :D

And ksandra, honestly? I was so focused on talking to the comic that I really had no idea how the audience was reacting, other than the odd chuckle or 'ooooo!' sound when I referred to my hubby having a gf. I think if I had scanned over the audience it would have just freaked me out, my heart was racing the whole time.
The comic was pretty cool though, had some good jokes. His name is Kevin Foxx, has some vids on Youtube. He's definately not for the kiddies, pretty crude (but most comics are :p) Wonder if he'll work 'that poly couple' into his routine someday... ;)

The one in charge

I tell him I'm polyamorous and he politely asks a couple questions. At one point, my bf tried to enter the conversation, but the comic shut him down with some smart ass comment about me being 'the one in charge with 2 men in my life' :p He didn't really joke too much, he seemed curious and just a bit flabbergasted. He said 'You know, the you've really freaked out the audience with all this, but it's the strongest reaction from this crowd I've got all night!'
WOW! I always wonder what would happen if my bf and I run into people either of us know and what the reaction would be to our answers. Too freakin' funny! Love it!:D

i know this isnt the same thing, but one of my fantacies is for me in our swining life is: my wife and our playmate couple strolling down the las vegas strip, compleately open with eachother... and the world. kissing, huggin, making out, acting as ones in love at vegas do, but including all 4 of us. does anybody have a situation like this, or live this way as a part of daily life?

i know this isnt the same thing, but one of my fantacies is for me in our swining life is: my wife and our playmate couple strolling down the las vegas strip, compleately open with eachother... and the world. kissing, huggin, making out, acting as ones in love at vegas do, but including all 4 of us. does anybody have a situation like this, or live this way as a part of daily life?
yes, but I don't live in vegas and I have two male and a female partner.

The scenario you suggest isn't swinging to me really. I'm poly, my commitment is to more than one. I am not beholden to my husband and he isn't to me. We operate independently, yet together. We don't get together with other couples we are not in love with and not establishing relationships with to have sex. There would be a very different thing going on behind the scenes emotionally in $my scenario.

Back