Corporate Personhood and Polyamory..

jokutus

Heylo poly peoples!

On the drive to work this morning a thought popped into my head.. Maybe this has been covered, maybe not but I figured I would toss it into the mix.

The Supreme Court recognized Corporations as persons under their interpretation 14th Amendment.

Corporations can have several "mergers" (or another word would be... marriages)

How come regular people cant have the same rights Corporate "people" enjoy?

What do you think? Is this just a silly pre-coffee brainspaz or shouldn't we be allowed to merge with several other people?

Heylo poly peoples!

On the drive to work this morning a thought popped into my head.. Maybe this has been covered, maybe not but I figured I would toss it into the mix.

The Supreme Court recognized Corporations as persons under their interpretation 14th Amendment.

Corporations can have several "mergers" (or another word would be... marriages)

How come regular people cant have the same rights Corporate "people" enjoy?

What do you think? Is this just a silly pre-coffee brainspaz or shouldn't we be allowed to merge with several other people?

They can, and it has been done. I seem to recall a reference on here to a three-person relationship that formed an LLC. It's just like entering into a legal business partnership.

They can, and it has been done. I seem to recall a reference on here to a three-person relationship that formed an LLC. It's just like entering into a legal business partnership.

Hmm. I wonder how this LLC differs from legal marriage? I suspect that there are significant legal differences which cannot amount to full legal equality. But that's just a guess.

Hmm. I wonder how this LLC differs from legal marriage? I suspect that there are significant legal differences which cannot amount to full legal equality. But that's just a guess.

I would imagine that you can have it any way you want, but it has to be spelled out in the documentation.

Even the definition of what constitutes "full legality" for marriage differs from state to state, does it not? Or does that just hold true for same-sex marriages at this time?

I would imagine that you can have it any way you want, but it has to be spelled out in the documentation.

Even the definition of what constitutes "full legality" for marriage differs from state to state, does it not? Or does that just hold true for same-sex marriages at this time?

I doubt that we/they/I can "have it any way you want," but don't doubt alternative legal contracts can cover most of the bases. ONLY and EXCLUSIVELY legally married people can have certain rather automatic access or process in certain legal situations having to do with property, visitation rights in hospitals, inheritance, etc.... As I remember there are some several hundred "benefits" (etc.) which automatically come with legal marriage, and not even the best case scenario in crafting a marriage alternative e.g., "civil union," is or can be fully legally equal to legal marriage. It's pretty complex stuff.

Quote (from http://www.religioustolerance.org/mar_bene.htm):

On the order of 1,400 legal rights are conferred upon married couples in the U.S. Typically these are composed of about 400 state benefits and over 1,000 federal benefits. Among them are the rights to:

joint parenting;
joint adoption;
joint foster care, custody, and visitation (including non-biological parents);
status as next-of-kin for hospital visits and medical decisions where one partner is too ill to be competent;
joint insurance policies for home, auto and health;
dissolution and divorce protections such as community property and child support;
immigration and residency for partners from other countries;
inheritance automatically in the absence of a will;
joint leases with automatic renewal rights in the event one partner dies or leaves the house or apartment;
inheritance of jointly-owned real and personal property through the right of survivorship (which avoids the time and expense and taxes in probate);
benefits such as annuities, pension plans, Social Security, and Medicare;
spousal exemptions to property tax increases upon the death of one partner who is a co-owner of the home;
veterans' discounts on medical care, education, and home loans; joint filing of tax returns;
joint filing of customs claims when traveling;
wrongful death benefits for a surviving partner and children;
bereavement or sick leave to care for a partner or child;
decision-making power with respect to whether a deceased partner will be cremated or not and where to bury him or her;
crime victims' recovery benefits;
loss of consortium tort benefits;
domestic violence protection orders;
judicial protections and evidentiary immunity;
and more....

Back