Is thin the only sexy?

I found this incredible poem.. I love this poet!

What Are Big Girls Made Of?

The construction of a woman:
a woman is not made of flesh
of bone and sinew
belly and breasts, elbows and liver and toe.
She is manufactured like a sports sedan.
She is retooled, refitted and redesigned
every decade.
Cecile had been seduction itself in college.
She wriggled through bars like a satin eel,
her hips and ass promising, her mouth pursed
in the dark red lipstick of desire.

She visited in '68 still wearing skirts
tight to the knees, dark red lipstick,
while I danced through Manhattan in mini skirt,
lipstick pale as apricot milk,
hair loose as a horse's mane. Oh dear,
I thought in my superiority of the moment,
whatever has happened to poor Cecile?
She was out of fashion, out of the game,
disqualified, disdained, dis-
membered from the club of desire.

Look at pictures in French fashion
magazines of the 18th century:
century of the ultimate lady
fantasy wrought of silk and corseting.
Paniers bring her hips out three feet
each way, while the waist is pinched
and the belly flattened under wood.
The breasts are stuffed up and out
offered like apples in a bowl.
The tiny foot is encased in a slipper
never meant for walking.
On top is a grandiose headache:
hair like a museum piece, daily
ornamented with ribbons, vases,
grottoes, mountains, frigates in full
sail, balloons, baboons, the fancy
of a hairdresser turned loose.
The hats were rococo wedding cakes
that would dim the Las Vegas strip.
Here is a woman forced into shape
rigid exoskeleton torturing flesh:
a woman made of pain.

How superior we are now: see the modern woman
thin as a blade of scissors.
She runs on a treadmill every morning,
fits herself into machines of weights
and pulleys to heave and grunt,
an image in her mind she can never
approximate, a body of rosy
glass that never wrinkles,
never grows, never fades. She
sits at the table closing her eyes to food
hungry, always hungry:
a woman made of pain.

A cat or dog approaches another,
they sniff noses. They sniff asses.
They bristle or lick. They fall
in love as often as we do,
as passionately. But they fall
in love or lust with furry flesh,
not hoop skirts or push up bras
rib removal or liposuction.
It is not for male or female dogs
that poodles are clipped
to topiary hedges.

If only we could like each other raw.
If only we could love ourselves
like healthy babies burbling in our arms.
If only we were not programmed and reprogrammed
to need what is sold us.
Why should we want to live inside ads?
Why should we want to scourge our softness
to straight lines like a Mondrian painting?
Why should we punish each other with scorn
as if to have a large ass
were worse than being greedy or mean?

When will women not be compelled
to view their bodies as science projects,
gardens to be weeded,
dogs to be trained?
When will a woman cease
to be made of pain?

Marge Piercy

This poem too

Barbie Doll

This girlchild was born as usual
and presented dolls that did pee-pee
and miniature GE stoves and irons
and wee lipsticks the color of cherry candy.
Then in the magic of puberty, a classmate said:
You have a great big nose and fat legs.

She was healthy, tested intelligent,
possessed strong arms and back,
abundant sexual drive and manual dexterity.
She went to and fro apologizing.
Everyone saw a fat nose on thick legs.

She was advised to play coy,
exhorted to come on hearty,
exercise, diet, smile and wheedle.
Her good nature wore out
like a fan belt.
So she cut off her nose and her legs
and offered them up.

In the casket displayed on satin she lay
with the undertaker's cosmetics painted on,
a turned-up putty nose,
dressed in a pink and white nightie.
Doesn't she look pretty? everyone said.
Consummation at last.
To every woman a happy ending.

Anonymous submission.

Marge Piercy

My friend linked me this page, and I loved it. Thought it would go very well into this thread to show that thin is definitely not the only sexy or the only beautiful. :)

Adipositivity.

A fat person with confidence is infinitely more sexy than a thin person who is insecure about their appearance.

I'm infatuated with one of the biggest ladies on my roller derby league because she is such a beautiful person inside and out. She is losing weight but is still just as beautiful.

I am a pluse sized woman and have been heavier in the past and lighter also. I am on my way to a weight I would like to be again but sexy is always with in yourself. I have been to a nude beach before and have had plenty of smiles come my way. I am finding that there a lot of men who find pluse size the right size lol

I think confidence and inner sexiness coming out overrules a hell of a lot.

I'm heavier than I usually am due to illness (thyroid and adrenals went kaBOOM a few years back). I'm getting better, and finally losing a LITTLE bit, but still about 20 pounds higher than my "norm".

This past friday I went to a conference of Sex educators, counselors and therapists (I'm a student). I dressed semi dress-casual... grey slacks, black tank top with black sweater and some sensible grey/black heels. I put on makeup (which I normally don't as I work in a cubicle and nobody sees me, plus I get up at the crack of hell and would rather sleep an extra 10 minutes) and my contacts, sono glasses.

I walked downtown to a little place to get lunch and I SWEAR I was getting looked at like I haven't in YEARS. Now undoubtedly I put an extra 10 minutes into getting ready, LOL... but I think because I FELT sexy (and was listening to talks on sex) I was projecting a more sexified ME than normal. And it definitely was well received.

I'm trying to take the lesson and run with it! :)

I'm going to go out on a limb here and point out that physical sexiness (and health) can come in very different sizes for different people.

I lost 70+ lbs and have kept it off for five years now. Before I lost the weight, I had no shape--no waist, no butt, and relatively unendowed up top. I took immaculate care of myself, but there was no way my "figure" could have been considered feminine. I was "apple" shaped in the worst possible way. It was physically impossible for me look sexy in plus-sized clothes intended for curves.

The only way I could make up for it with personality was to be bubbly, self-deprecating, and unbeatably positive--then, very rarely, someone would express attraction to my personality. But that wasn't me. I'm intellectual and introverted; I like people but not as much as I like books; and I'm extremely proud of my achievements, so self-deprecating doesn't work for me. So, being attractive at that weight meant being someone I'm not.

Since I've lost the weight, many, many people have told me I'm quite attractive (not everyone, obviously, but that's fine). I am NOT curvy. My natural build is more boy-like: strong, square shoulders, narrower hips, a toned, tight backside, and a modest bosom. Occasionally, I'm made to feel like I'm unfeminine because I'm not curvy and don't have much extra meat, but eff 'em, this is my narrow, lean, "boyish" body and it looks better at a size 6 than it ever did or could at a 16.

I can't be what I'm not. Regardless of my weight, unless I pursue some massive plastic surgery, I'll never be curvy at any size. I hated how I looked when I was fat, and I love how I look now.

In this weight debate, I see a lot of hostility toward round, curvy pegs being forced into square, thin holes. But I'm the opposite: I'm a lean, square peg who was miserable trying to live in the round hole.

Possibly all anyone needs is a solid sense of self.

I am attracted to smaller (I'm 5'9''), curvy brunettes with curly hair if at all possible.

Guess how my mother looked like? I try to think parents are not responsible for everything, but sometimes I do wonder if such basic things like physical preference for certain body types comes from having pleasant memories associated with a particular type.

I had a teeny tiny grandmother who I take after, so genetically I guess I am blessed, in this society that so values thinness. But even tho I am small, I do still despise every little bit of flabby or saggy skin on my body :(. I manage to look good enough in clothes, tho, so the incentive to exercise is really just not there -- which is not good, because I may be thin but I am probably not the healthiest I could be.

I resist the urge to eat for comfort only, though, which I think has kept me thin in addition to the genetics. I simply know that when I am feeling emotional, it is NOT hunger for food that is nagging me. (In fact, it is probably a bit of a disorder -- if I am upset emotionally, I will NOT eat. I will hold out for the emotional fulfillment, instead. And sometimes, damn emotions -- I'm fucking HUNGRY! :mad:)

My grandma was very self-conscious and did not like being skinny. Her two sisters were curvy and the boys all liked their curves, and called her a skinny mama barn cat. She was teased as a child and even all throughout her adult life (when she DID get elegant little curves in all the right places). Other women were terribly jealous and often made rude comments. We thought she was beautiful -- but I must say that my other grandma, who was "fluffy," was much more comfortable to hug! :p

I will say one thing:

No one can wear a corset like a full-figured broad!

They are just made for the ample body. I love wearing corsets.

Ditto! I love my curvy, full figured body, and so does my partner :p

I love me some corsets! :)

I've always been a "broad" kind of broad. Wide shoulders and ribcage... sturdy. :)

I've grown to be okay with that... though I have some extra poundage from my thyroid going wacky-- and that's the part I don't like. But... I'm trying to have some perspective, which is something I"ve sorely lacked my entire life. I was just looking back on some pictures my photographer friend had shot about 7 years ago... and remember at the time thinking I needed to lose 10 more pounds! Doh! Not only was I not fat, I was really muscular, so of course I weighed more!

Sometimes I wish I could go back and slap my younger self a couple of times. :D

By today's media standards yes I guess I do like fat women :p

In my opinion most women who think their butt ugly and fat look perfectly fine to me and sometimes even stunning! *pondered with the hand on the chin looking up thinking* Nope I guess EVERY woman I've every been with or almost was at a relationship level would have been considered fat.

As was the case with a woman of a couple we met (we call P in past posts.) I found her VERY attractive, 5'9 and I think about 220lbs (I think she said she was) with her body I did NOT think of her as fat she looked fucking GREAT! Brown eyes which I loved, great confidence another meowww :cool: Unfortunately me at 5'9, 230lbs was not good enough. Although the nice girl she said if I can lose the lil tummy in 6 months to a year she'll consider me LMAO. I should have believed the OKC questions which raised flags but my wife said nah she sounds so nice lol. Only part that really sucks is wife is dating the guy and I'm left still looking.

I'm not a BBW chaser, not into the whole feeding thing but yes when I see "skinny" women (ie where you can see ribs) compared to the "normal" women you see in normal everyday life while it may be rude. I often think wow what's wrong with them? :( Are they sick? can't keep the weight on? is it just the flu? or something more serious?

At the other end I admit someone going way past 300+ pounds, while a perfectly fine person and fine as a friend I do not find just attractive. I wouldn't leave someone for just gaining weight *shrugs* I don't know if we REALLY clicked and I loved their personality I might even be blinded to that :) I've had bitch fests with others about weight and other things. You CANNOT often change what you are "attracted" to, what turns you on, gets you hard, gets you wet and all that ;)

I'm not a BBW chaser, not into the whole feeding thing but yes when I see "skinny" women (ie where you can see ribs) compared to the "normal" women you see in normal everyday life while it may be rude. I often think wow what's wrong with them? :( Are they sick? can't keep the weight on? is it just the flu? or something more serious?

So, when I come back with "Yeah, it's chronic fatigue syndrome; done a number on me, thanks for noticing!" will you be embarrassed or just silent?

I mean, shit, I stuck both my feet in my mouth when I congratulated a "pregnant" lady on what turned out to be edema from her medications. That was when I learned to mind my own body.

So, when I come back with "Yeah, it's chronic fatigue syndrome; done a number on me, thanks for noticing!" will you be embarrassed or just silent?

I mean, shit, I stuck both my feet in my mouth when I congratulated a "pregnant" lady on what turned out to be edema from her medications. That was when I learned to mind my own body.

Haha, nice thing about Storm is he wouldn't say it :p

I know the edema thing! I get it during the summers, and it sucks!

Redpepper,
I loved this article! I am a 5'1" 200 lb woman with a sex drive to die for just ask my husband loves it as well. I read him this article and he said that he would rather be with me than any skinny woman at anytime (he wasn't just blowing smoke) lol.
I think women that are curvy are beautiful! I think all women are beautiful. I think that the way we percieve ourselves makes us who we are. For instance if we are overweight and think we are sexy and give off that vibe than others will pick up on that and think we are sexy too.
So to all you curvy women out there. Be sexy and love it.
CG

Back