Favourite movies thread

Scott

I hope it's ok to make a thread where poly people can post a link to a preview of a favourite movie of theirs and maybe talk about it a bit? I know there are threads about poly movies, or movies that would have been better with a poly ending, but just wanted a thread for poly people's favourite movies; may or may not have poly in it or been better with a poly ending type thing.. well, assuming it's ok, here goes one of my favourite movies that I just watched:

Inception

God I loved this movie. The idea of sharing dreams, just wow. I guess this could be considered somewhat poly.. it's certainly pretty intimate. I've been a fan of Christopher Nolan, who likes to both write and direct his films, ever since he did Memento; Memento became my favourite melancholy movie. But I like Inception even more. And the music, man the music. I've been listening to some of the pieces ever since I saw the movie about a week ago.. really one of those films I don't think I'll ever forget.

Hey Scott,

I wasn't such a fan of Inception but I did watch Waking Life: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0243017/ a while ago which is about dream states too and I thought was pretty good.

I also really really like the Pirates of the Caribbean films (esp. the first one). I love them for the whole being open to life and possibility vibe that there is throughout. I always find them uplifting. :)

IP

My favourite movie of all time is The Princess Bride. The book is even better.

I even bought the t-shirt...

Hey Scott,

I wasn't such a fan of Inception but I did watch Waking Life: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0243017/ a while ago which is about dream states too and I thought was pretty good.

I just saw the trailer (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uk2DeTet98o), looked pretty trippy, heh :). I liked this clip of it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&feature=endscreen&v=IzrImMmrAW0

The idea of unconscious telepathy, extending to the dreamworld, is something that I've believed in for a long time. May be seeing more of it soon.

I also really really like the Pirates of the Caribbean films (esp. the first one). I love them for the whole being open to life and possibility vibe that there is throughout. I always find them uplifting. :)

Cool :). I liked them too, but don't think I'd put them in my favourite category. I'm wondering if maybe they might be a bit more appealing to women.. been thinking of some aspects of it, I think this might be the case. Seriously, it seems that everyone of importance is after that blonde woman in the films, laugh :).

What did you think of the Matrix series?

Last edited:
My favourite movie of all time is The Princess Bride.

I certainly agree that that was an awesome movie. It's been a long time since I've seen it but thinking back on it, yeah, that was a really cool movie.

The book is even better.

Never read the book. I've found that if I see the movie first, I'm not so interested in the book; well, that's the way I felt after I saw "Girl with the Dragon Tatoo" (good movie) and then started reading the book; I kept thinking, "I'm not interested in these details, just get on with the story already", laugh :p. I read The Lord of The Rings trilogy (plus the hobbit) and then I saw the films; loved the films. Went back to read one of the books and it just couldn't hold my attention that long anymore. That being said, atleast in this case (maybe because I read all the books first), I feel like having read the books added to the experience. I actually read more then just "The Lord of the Rings" from J.R.R. Tolkien. Actually, my favourite one of his books was The Silmarillion, which is actually a compilation of stories set in the early Middle Earth Universe, when Sauron was but a powerful servant of Morgoth. Specifically, I loved the story of Beren and Luthien.

I even bought the t-shirt...

I see. That bit about Inigo repeating the same line over and over despite his increasing severe injuries was a bit funny, heh :). Metaphorically, I guess you could compare it to V for Vendetta's injuries near the end of that film, but, ofcourse, V doesn't live long after that.

Last edited:
in regards to Pirates of the Caribbean:

Cool :). I liked them too, but don't think I'd put them in my favourite category. I'm wondering if maybe they might be a bit more appealing to women.. been thinking of some aspects of it, I think this might be the case. Seriously, it seems that everyone of importance is after that blonde woman in the films, laugh :).

I'm more fond of Johnny Depp than the woman; although I'm known to answer to 'why is the rum gone?' with: 'Because it is a vile drink that turns even the most respectable men into complete scoundrels' (and that because the rum is often gone around here!)

Dunno if you were asking generally or IP specifically...
But I loved The Matrix series. I have a fondness for Keanu, in spite of the fact that he is rather cardboard like.

I also have a fondness for messiah stories of every kind. Also, I never met a cinderella version that I didn't like; and I'm awfully fond of King Arthur/Lancelot/Guinevere too. I was 13ish when I read Jonathan Livingston Seagull, and it was SO the rage. I read it and thought 'what's the deal? It's just story of jesus told with seagulls.'

I have a gorgeous long dark raincoat, and I love to pretend I'm Trinity, and packing lots of guns, when I wear it. :D

I have many favorites, and I love stories. Couldn't get enough fairy tales when I was a kid. One way I judge what's a favorite is do I want to spend the money on it and drag it through my life with me.

Moonstruck is one of my very favorites. I love stories about big families just living lives out loud (not of quiet desperation). I love the breakfast scene. 'whatcha doin'?' 'Waiting for Johnny Cammereri' 'oh' and they all keep eating.

Stitch is a favorite. I saw it in theatres at least seven times, and I have it on DVD, VHS, and the second movie on DVD, and a dvd my dad made by recording all the stitch shows on disn3y channel. "This is my fam-i-ly. I found it, all on my own. Is little, and broken, but still good. Yah, still good." Although, it's the scene where he says "I'm lost." that I think is what bound me to it. He obsessed with The Ugly Duckling story.

When I first played my Stitch DVD, somehow French language was turned on. And it was absolutely impossible to be frightened of Captain Gantu. The music is all scary, and his voice is deep, but the French is just to pretty to sound scary. :D

in regards to Pirates of the Caribbean:

I'm more fond of Johnny Depp than the woman;

You are a woman yourself, are you not ;-)? Just like men sometimes like movies where a guy has more then one woman to choose from, I suspect that women tend to like movies where the woman has more then one guy to choose from, heh :)

although I'm known to answer to 'why is the rum gone?' with: 'Because it is a vile drink that turns even the most respectable men into complete scoundrels' (and that because the rum is often gone around here!)

Lol :)

Dunno if you were asking generally or IP specifically...

Don't worry, I'm not one of those types of people that does that "butt out of this, this is between me and X" types of responses, laugh :). If I had wanted a private conversation, I would have PMed IP.

But I loved The Matrix series. I have a fondness for Keanu, in spite of the fact that he is rather cardboard like.

A lot of people say that about him, laugh :). Sometimes I think I have a bit of this trait of his, which might be seen as not being able to connect to his emotions too easily. This being said, I've always thought that the characters he plays tend to have a heroic quality to them, which I've always admired.

I also have a fondness for messiah stories of every kind.

I do as well, as long as they're not overly pretentious :p

Also, I never met a cinderella version that I didn't like; and I'm awfully fond of King Arthur/Lancelot/Guinevere too.

Same here. I want to see First Knight one day, which definitely plays on the King Arthur/Lancelot/Guinevere triangle and has Richard Gere playing Lancelot, an actor I've always liked.

I was 13ish when I read Jonathan Livingston Seagull, and it was SO the rage. I read it and thought 'what's the deal? It's just story of jesus told with seagulls.'

I read the plot over at wikipedia, and it sounds much better then Jesus' alleged story to me, laugh :). Personally, if we're talking about stories regarding Jesus, I think that my favourite one is encapsulated in The Da Vinci Code (I found both the book and the movie to be good). Aside from the obviously fictitious elements in the novel and film, even one of the (non fiction) books that it was based on (The Holy Blood and the Holy Grail) apparently had serious flaws to it . That being said, the story line is -so- much more interesting then the "official story" regarding the life of Jesus that I'd heard until that point that I can forgive them their innacuracies. It's not like the "official story" as told by christian religions has been shown to be any less fictitious; I'd say that it's even more so. I was also quite impressed with the first Zeitgeist documentary, which deals with religions and christianity especially, in the first part of the movie (the second and third parts deal with 9/11 and the international banking cartels, which I also found to be quite interesting).

I have a gorgeous long dark raincoat, and I love to pretend I'm Trinity, and packing lots of guns, when I wear it. :D

Woot, lol :)

I have many favorites, and I love stories. Couldn't get enough fairy tales when I was a kid.

I like stories a fair amount too; but the I get tired of the simplicity of the disney set of them sometimes :p.

One way I judge what's a favorite is do I want to spend the money on it and drag it through my life with me.

Lol, good way to judge :).

Moonstruck is one of my very favorites. I love stories about big families just living lives out loud (not of quiet desperation).

I'd heard of this movie before; just saw a trailer of it, looks pretty good :).

I love the breakfast scene. 'whatcha doin'?' 'Waiting for Johnny Cammereri' 'oh' and they all keep eating.

That her paramour? I'll probably have to see the movie, laugh :)

Stitch is a favorite. I saw it in theatres at least seven times, and I have it on DVD, VHS, and the second movie on DVD, and a dvd my dad made by recording all the stitch shows on disn3y channel. "This is my fam-i-ly. I found it, all on my own. Is little, and broken, but still good. Yah, still good."

Lol :). I loved stitch too.

Although, it's the scene where he says "I'm lost." that I think is what bound me to it. He obsessed with The Ugly Duckling story.

Heh heh :)

When I first played my Stitch DVD, somehow French language was turned on. And it was absolutely impossible to be frightened of Captain Gantu. The music is all scary, and his voice is deep, but the French is just to pretty to sound scary. :D

Laugh :)

Favorite movies? Hoooo boy where to start? Lemme do a top 10 here in no real order:

Aliens: I love this movie for so many things. If you can find the cut that chops out the colony bit in the beginning and adds the extended smart turret scene later it's perfect. This was my first R rated movie I ever saw (I tricked Dad, who was visiting, into letting me watch it) and it was also my first serious action movie. It's the standard all other action movies are judged by.

Fight Club: Grows more and more relevant every day.

The Last Dragon: A cheesy martial arts movie. It's total cheese, but it's one I come back to over and over again.

Kung Fu Panda: A bit of a guilty pleasure of mine. It's my "I'm massively depressed and feel like ass" movie.

300: It's a fireside tale and tells you as much from the beginning. I'm a sucker for "last stands" and sacrifices for the good of others, and the Battle of Thermopylae was just that.

Transformers: The Movie: The 1986 animated one that is. For it's cheese factor and the fact as a kid growing up it was an actual life event for me. I've always been a fan of the property, but that movie stands out.

We Were Soldiers: This one is here because it's simply an amazing tale that is firmly grounded in reality. It's been said, by people that where there, that it's a very accurate depiction of the men and events there.

Hellboy: This movie is just raw fun. Plus Hellboy and the B.P.R.D. are some of the few comics I bother to look at these days.

Flash Gordon: From 1980. An unapologetic movie based on a campy series. It embraced the camp without over doing it and without poking fun.

Snatch: I should make this a two-fer and add Lock, Stock, and Two Smoking Barrels to this as well. I just simply love these movies.

A few movies for poly people that I highly recommend are:

The Big Chill - This film really hits home for me - love without boundaries. It is not always pretty and it sure isn't easy. But the sacrifices made for one another by the friends (and I see them more like a family) is amazing and heartfelt.

Bandits - A fun comedy. They do not use the term polyamory, but the V relationship is clearly that. And it's just a really funny movie as well.

Never read the book. I've found that if I see the movie first, I'm not so interested in the book; well, that's the way I felt after I saw "Girl with the Dragon Tatoo" (good movie) and then started reading the book; I kept thinking, "I'm not interested in these details, just get on with the story already", laugh :p. I read

The book is infinitely better than the movie. Even after I'd seen the movie a dozen times, the book was extremely entertaining. It's written as though the author was abridging a much longer book. There's all these parts where the text is in red, and those are the parts where the author supposedly cut out dozens of pages and reduced them to a couple paragraphs. He'll mention what he cut out and why it was pointless... but in actual fact, he wrote the whole book himself and there never was an unabridged version.

I'm currently reading the Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. It's been on my reading list for ages, but I was trying to get through Song of Ice and Fire. Which, by the way, is also much better than the show. The show is true to the plot and all, but the details in the book add SO much dimension to the characters.

When a movie comes out for a book, I usually try to read the book first if it looks good. I agree that reading the book after seeing the movie is rarely as satisfying as reading the book and then seeing the movie. The part that bothers me the most is how, when I read the book after, the characters have the actors' faces in my imagination. That just irks me.

Like, when I saw the movie for the first Harry Potter, before the final books were written. Then every time a new book came out, I kept seeing the movie faces when I was reading. I can't even remember what they looked like in my head anymore. That was very disappointing. Speaking of Harry Potter, my husband watched all the movies... I kept saying "read the books! read the books!" and he was all like "yeah yeah whatever" ... then he finally read the books and was all like "OMG why didn't I read these sooner?? They're so good!!" I didn't even try not to say "I told you so!"

You are a woman yourself, are you not ;-)?

Doesn't mean I'd turn her out of my bed! Just in that movie, I choose Johnny. Cap'n Jack looks a lot like my first serious girlfriend. I also see her in Nicole Kidman (even my mom did. She was so excited to tell me, after they'd seen Chicago, how much the pretty lead actress looked like my girlfriend).

It was actually quite interesting, I'd like to watch all the Pirates again. I had the telly on for company a few weekends ago, and it was one of them (I think the second). The hot, hot, HOT scenes between the girl and Jack and the other guy (will?) conveyed something very different to me, now that I'm in a vee. Current bf and I enjoy talking about how we project ourselves onto/into the movie characters.

One of his favorites is Sahara: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0318649/
Rudi Gunn: But I was hoping to meet a girl on the Australian trip!
Al Giordino: No, African war zone; ship of death!
(also two boys, one girl)

Same here. I want to see First Knight one day, which definitely plays on the King Arthur/Lancelot/Guinevere triangle and has Richard Gere playing Lancelot, an actor I've always liked.

I didn't much care for Gere in that. I waffle on him a lot. Sometimes I like a performance, and more often I don't. He's definitely better older. The movie is quite beautiful though. It was a favorite of mom's, but she's a sucker for Sean Connery.

On biblical fiction: I LOVE IT. The Red Tent was stunning, a whole novel built from two paragraphs in Genesis. Also, _Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal_ is superb. He makes up chapters of the torah and quotes them (Frogs 31).

Favorite movies? Hoooo boy where to start?

Lol :)

Lemme do a top 10 here in no real order:

Aliens: I love this movie for so many things. If you can find the cut that chops out the colony bit in the beginning and adds the extended smart turret scene later it's perfect. This was my first R rated movie I ever saw (I tricked Dad, who was visiting, into letting me watch it)

Laugh :). Honestly, my favourite scene was the last bit, with Sigourney Weaver in that skimpy outfit.

and it was also my first serious action movie. It's the standard all other action movies are judged by.

I generally don't like thriller type movies that are heading towards the horror end, and I don't touch horror films (unless they're old campy ones like Friday the 13th :p).. I guess I wouldn't be able to explain why, it's just the way I feel.

Fight Club: Grows more and more relevant every day.

I'd heard of it before, have known some people who swear by it.. but fighting's never been my thing so still haven't seen it. I decided to see a preview of it just now, as well as read the wikipedia description... looks interesting. I loved Edward Norton in The Illusionist, and Brad Pitt in movies like "A River Runs Through it" and "Seven Years in Tibett".. so maybe one of these days, heh :).

The Last Dragon: A cheesy martial arts movie. It's total cheese, but it's one I come back to over and over again.

I see, heh :).

Kung Fu Panda: A bit of a guilty pleasure of mine. It's my "I'm massively depressed and feel like ass" movie.

Aww :). I've wanted to see that ever since it came out, but still haven't gotten around to it. Another 'one of these days' films, laugh :)

300: It's a fireside tale and tells you as much from the beginning. I'm a sucker for "last stands" and sacrifices for the good of others, and the Battle of Thermopylae was just that.

Oh yeah, I loved that film. The fact that some (Not sure if you're into films that criticize the international banking cartels, but one such film (American Dream) paraphrases the famous "This is Sparta" line and switches it for "This is America". I wouldn't want that film without first atleast seeing Money as Debt (and preferably The Money Masters), though, because it brings up a lot of things that wouldn't be understood without some prior information.

Transformers: The Movie: The 1986 animated one that is. For it's cheese factor and the fact as a kid growing up it was an actual life event for me. I've always been a fan of the property, but that movie stands out.

I too grew up with Transformers and loved it. Don't think there was any other cartoon I liked more at the time. For all that, I'm not sure if I saw the movie; another thing I should check out, heh :).

We Were Soldiers: This one is here because it's simply an amazing tale that is firmly grounded in reality. It's been said, by people that where there, that it's a very accurate depiction of the men and events there.

Cool.

Hellboy: This movie is just raw fun. Plus Hellboy and the B.P.R.D. are some of the few comics I bother to look at these days.

Cool. I used to read comics a fair amount; I loved the X men back in the day. I also liked the Hellboy film, but I never read the comic or B.P.R.D.

Flash Gordon: From 1980. An unapologetic movie based on a campy series. It embraced the camp without over doing it and without poking fun.

Cool. Again, never saw this D.C. comic book adaptation; I've liked the Batman and Superman adaptations though :).

Snatch: I should make this a two-fer and add Lock, Stock, and Two Smoking Barrels to this as well. I just simply love these movies.

Heard of Snatch, not of "Lock, Stock..." So many movies to see, heh :).

When a movie comes out for a book, I usually try to read the book first if it looks good. I agree that reading the book after seeing the movie is rarely as satisfying as reading the book and then seeing the movie. The part that bothers me the most is how, when I read the book after, the characters have the actors' faces in my imagination. That just irks me.

LOL! I'm the complete opposite. If I've read the book first, I usually have little interest in seeing the movie because I know I will get irritated at the changes or just disappointed by how the movie isn't as good as what I see in my head when I read.

BUT if I watch a movie and like it, then I'll make more of an effort to locate and read the book it's based on, and I'll usually enjoy reading the book too. Yes, I have a bit of a problem with seeing the actor's faces as I read (Harry Potter, definitely. Twilight, not so much. Hush, yes, I know, they're crap. To me they're still entertaining crap. Kind of like watching made-for-sy-fy movies. :p) but it's pretty easy for me to get over it because so much MORE gets added when I read the book!

P.S. Just realized, I completely stopped watching or having any interest in the movies of Harry Potter AND Twilight once I read the books. I haven't watched past #4 for HP or #1 for Twilight.

Laugh :). Honestly, my favourite scene was the last bit, with Sigourney Weaver in that skimpy outfit.

I generally don't like thriller type movies that are heading towards the horror end, and I don't touch horror films (unless they're old campy ones like Friday the 13th :p).. I guess I wouldn't be able to explain why, it's just the way I feel.

I think you are thinking of Alien, the first one in the series. Aliens was the follow up. Not so much tension and thriller and more kick in the door and shoot some bugs.

I'd heard of it before, have known some people who swear by it.. but fighting's never been my thing so still haven't seen it. I decided to see a preview of it just now, as well as read the wikipedia description... looks interesting. I loved Edward Norton in The Illusionist, and Brad Pitt in movies like "A River Runs Through it" and "Seven Years in Tibett".. so maybe one of these days, heh :).

The fighting in Fight Club is secondary to the social commentary.

Cool. I used to read comics a fair amount; I loved the X men back in the day. I also liked the Hellboy film, but I never read the comic or B.P.R.D.

Wise cracking, literal son of Satan good guy, what's not to like?

Heard of Snatch, not of "Lock, Stock..." So many movies to see, heh :).

Lock, Stock... was where a number of the characters from Snatch made their first appearance. While not a true sequel, they are fun to watch close together.

Best book-to-movie translation EVER: Hogfather (Terry Pratchett). BBC did a movie. It was just creepy because all the characters were almost exactly as they were in my head. And it was a very faithful translation.

A few movies for poly people that I highly recommend are:

The Big Chill - This film really hits home for me - love without boundaries. It is not always pretty and it sure isn't easy. But the sacrifices made for one another by the friends (and I see them more like a family) is amazing and heartfelt.

I've heard of that film more then once. I have access to Netflix, just watched the first minute of it ("supernothing", laugh :))

Bandits - A fun comedy. They do not use the term polyamory, but the V relationship is clearly that. And it's just a really funny movie as well.

Cool.

Back