Marijuana

You mean the days when people had their conversations in person or written on paper? Nothing's preventing you from favouring that form of communication if you prefer it. You choose to participate in online forums. Price of admission.

Abbreviations for online forums go back way before the internet was a "thing." It was around of course, but only the government used it. The rest of us would login to a BBS with our ULTRA FAST 2400 baud modems and do basically what we do here. But slower. Because a 2400 baud modem wasn't actually remotely fast, never mind ultra. You paid attention to each and every character you wrote. They downloaded so slow you could actually see the individual letters downloading. 2400 bits per second, 8 bits per letter. Of course, that's the maximum speed of the modem, not accounting for latency because the other computer was on the other side of the country, or the fact that it was running on a desktop with a whopping 512 kB RAM in some guy's basement. And of course, you may or may not have been paying long-distance charges to call that computer on the other side of the country.

With cell phones what they are today, teenagers think they invented this shit. lol. That means "laughing out loud" btw.

Yeah, thread derailed. But it's a thread about smoking weed. You don't expect that to remain clear and focused, do you?

Yehaw, that was a fast bbs service :D.. I ran my first bbs on a 286 with a micro co-processor so I had improved math calculations.. I had an OLD 45meg MFD hard drive in it (the large ones that look like small clocks) ahah my first BBS "experience" was with the old phone literally plugged into the modem.. the first bbs I ran was dual modem 1200.. SMOKING fast. :D..

Thanks for the nostalgia.. still hate aolese but it did and does have its place. (take a step back and really how different is it then shorthand... *shrugs* )

Yehaw, that was a fast bbs service :D.. I ran my first bbs on a 286 with a micro co-processor so I had improved math calculations.. I had an OLD 45meg MFD hard drive in it (the large ones that look like small clocks) ahah my first BBS "experience" was with the old phone literally plugged into the modem.. the first bbs I ran was dual modem 1200.. SMOKING fast. :D..

Thanks for the nostalgia.. still hate aolese but it did and does have its place. (take a step back and really how different is it then shorthand... *shrugs* )

Curiously, I met both Liam and Jai originally through the local BBS system. Jai was a sysop; Liam was a gamer on the BBSes. We had an active BBS community, with summer volleyball games and BBQs, which is how I ended up meeting Jai in person. I didn't actually meet Liam in person until college, which is just as well -- given the 12 year age difference, had I met him during my adolescence he'd've probably been firmly categorized as "adult; off-limits". In adulthood, well, he was only two years off my comfortable upper age limit.

I still recall sysops talking about whether the increasingly modem speed was a good thing -- who could read faster than 9600 bps or up?

Okay I'll bite ...

I don't mind web abbreviations (and will often use them myself, especially the ol' classics). As long as it's not every stinking word.

i also h8 th nu kindof stoopid brot ubout by ifone usage were ppl wil.notonly ubreviat evry othr wrd thell also mispel evry othr wrd skip gramer punctuatn captlzatn anto mk thgs wrs cary on & on with 1 long sntence evn tho they shud strt a nu sntenc thel just du a run on sntc cuz thats cool there frnds at jr hi du it then as if thats not enufthel l ad sentce aftr sentenc & just kpgng no needto worry abo utpara grafs just keep wrtg un til their's a.great.big.wall oftxt & if theydu do a pargrph brk thell.du a singlecarage rtrn insteadofa dou blecarage rtrn witch.is wht mks it posibble tu tel 1 paragraph frm n othr then thel ljust car.ry on & on & on just teling theyre life story mebbe changesubjectsforno.reasn i jst hd lftoverz for lunch haha my cat 8 sum of the pasta i justwish ppl wood follo 1 trainofthout& stik tu itoratleastgiveusom e ki nd ofpara graf brksowecouldsee they.are.talkg.aboutso methi ng nu o & then nomatterhowlong teh pargraf iz theyl keep on ading tu it tillitislikea.run.on.para.graph or somethg & it makes it so nobody wants tu readit cuz it makes youreyez water i mean cumon is englishyou.r 2nd languag or wht your an adultdidnt you graduatefrum grade.scool wtf happend & wht's.with this lowerc ase i i is supposedto.be capitaliz edor is that.likesome bigotedcolonialthg where tryg to getrid of yeh show thatlow er case i let ppl know that yore yourown person.and.yu.have.teh.power & no 1s gunna tel yu whut to do cuz ur2 cul 4 that & hu needs spelchek wen english is.a stoopid colonial lan guagea nyway.

That sort of thing bug the rest of you's guys? Cuz it sure bugs me! :eek: AAAUUUGGGHHH

My contribution to this thread derail is now complete.
Sincerely,
Kevin T.

I still recall sysops talking about whether the increasingly modem speed was a good thing -- who could read faster than 9600 bps or up?

Considering I ran a large multi node bbs. I had pirate software, adult "stuff" in all its possible forms at the time and about 40 online games.. I never questioned speed. I only wondered when the freedom of the internet would crush the limitations of a bbs :)..

Kevin.. officially my brain exploded... *splooooosh*

Kevin, that HURT!

And I am SO glad SC brought up that this type of thing has been going on long before texting was even a thing. Used to be called "Elitespeak", or 1337.

My aged heart was happy to see B1ff mentioned in there. :D

Other common acronyms of the time were ROFL (more prevalent than LOL), or ROFLMAO, or bracketized things like <g> for "grin", <eg> for "evil grin", <vbg> for "very big grin", etc.

And we wore onions on our belts, as that was the style at the time...

As for the topic of the thread, haven't since college (quite a few years ago, now) - job won't allow it, and I've found out (by hanging out with a musician friend of Chops') that I really don't like being surrounded by it anymore, anyway. My lungs, they burn! *hack* *kaff*

Kevin, that HURT!

And I am SO glad SC brought up that this type of thing has been going on long before texting was even a thing. Used to be called "Elitespeak", or 1337.

My aged heart was happy to see B1ff mentioned in there. :D

Other common acronyms of the time were ROFL (more prevalent than LOL), or ROFLMAO, or bracketized things like <g> for "grin", <eg> for "evil grin", <vbg> for "very big grin", etc.

And we wore onions on our belts, as that was the style at the time...

As for the topic of the thread, haven't since college (quite a few years ago, now) - job won't allow it, and I've found out (by hanging out with a musician friend of Chops') that I really don't like being surrounded by it anymore, anyway. My lungs, they burn! *hack* *kaff*

And don't forget, asci art attempts to create alternate smileys for fun affects on a black background :)..

http://www.emoticonfun.org/

I always hated the term l33t. I disliked the way people used it. I would have been considered "elite" back in my younger days, but still used fully formed sentences and words haha.. its way I turned the phrase into aolese. *shrugs*

You forgot one very popular acronym the l33t used frequently.. single line response to any question about *nix...

RTFM...

:)

Those were the days!

Re (from YouAreHere):
"And we wore onions on our belts, as that was the style at the time ..."

... actual literal onions? Wow ...

... to kill the smell of the MJ smoke, right? :)

At risk of further thread derailment, it's a Grandpa Simpson quote from a bajillion years ago, give or take a year:

We can't bust heads like we used to, but we have our ways. One trick is to tell 'em stories that don't go anywhere - like the time I caught the ferry over to Shelbyville. I needed a new heel for my shoe, so, I decided to go to Morganville, which is what they called Shelbyville in those days. So I tied an onion to my belt, which was the style at the time. Now, to take the ferry cost a nickel, and in those days, nickels had pictures of bumblebees on 'em. “Give me five bees for a quarter,” you'd say.

Now where were we? Oh yeah: the important thing was I had an onion on my belt, which was the style at the time. They didn't have white onions because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big yellow ones...

:)

That Grandpa Simpson. (SMH)

Way before BBS's, I remember playing trivia with other people on a party line. Yes, that's right, a landline telephone! Some of us became friends and attended get-togethers after calling a 900 number and having conversations - those weren't just for phone sex or psychics! How's that for recalling the technology back in the good ol' days!

Last edited:
That crazy olden day technology. (SMH)

To continue the threadjack...

Way before BBS's, I remember playing trivia with other people on a party line. Yes, that's right, a landline telephone! Some of us became friends and attended get-togethers after calling a 900 number and having conversations - those weren't just for phone sex or psychics! How's that for recalling the technology back in the good ol' days!

Love it! Chops and I took our kids into an antique shop last year, and they got to try out an old rotary phone. It was fun showing them how to use it, and watching them realize that numbers with 0s and 9s in them took forever to dial. :D

Oh yes, I too took part in those...party lines...

To continue the threadjack...

Love it! Chops and I took our kids into an antique shop last year, and they got to try out an old rotary phone. It was fun showing them how to use it, and watching them realize that numbers with 0s and 9s in them took forever to dial. :D

Oh, well, hey, when I was dialing party lines, at least I did have a push button phone! It was the 1980s! Here is a funny webpage I found: The 30 Weirdest 1-900 Numbers From The ’80s

My family's rotary phone lasted until about 1972, when I was 12. I remember playing around with the switch-hook (the thing you hung the phone up on) to dial numbers like Morse code, click-click-click was 3, and so on. Also, the town I grew up in used to publish its own phone book, of all residents in town, and everyone's number was listed with just the last four digits, cause we all had the same exchange (the first three digits).

everyone's number was listed with just the last four digits, cause we all had the same exchange (the first three digits).

Ha! Yes - ours were the last five. And the first two numbers of the exchange (72) corresponded to "PA" on the dial, which were the first two letters in the city name. Like our very own Pennsylvania 6-5000. :) You used to be able to dial the last five digits only (for local calls), until they upgraded the phone system.

We used to be able to dial a different two-digit prefix (9-something?) and get the callback test. So, of course, at a friend's house, we'd dial the callback prefix and the rest of their number, then run and watch their parents answer a phone with nobody on the other end.

Aaaah, good times, good times... :D

Wait, what were we talking about again? Getting back on topic, this is kinda reminiscent of some stoner conversations I'd had back in the day... ;)

Wait, what were we talking about again? Getting back on topic, this is kinda reminiscent of some stoner conversations I'd had back in the day... ;)
Its all good... thats what happens when someone starts a "weed" thread, it eventually gets derailed into other "stoner" type conversation... invite a bunch of stoners into conversation, you are only asking to get it derailed and on track with other conversation not even pertaining to original thread. ;-P That is the stoner way. LOL

Its all good... thats what happens when someone starts a "weed" thread, it eventually gets derailed into other "stoner" type conversation... invite a bunch of stoners into conversation, you are only asking to get it derailed and on track with other conversation not even pertaining to original thread. ;-P That is the stoner way. LOL

Odd.. amongst my friends when we got high we fucked.. or went skiing or biking.. we rarely sat around and just did nothing.

Guess thats the BC Bud way.. :)

Odd.. amongst my friends when we got high we fucked.. or went skiing or biking.. we rarely sat around and just did nothing.

Guess thats the BC Bud way.. :)

I was referring to conversations had.... never once said we sat around and did nothing... we also biked, hiked...whatever floated our boats... but that didnt mean we didnt have some interesting conversation along the way. ;-)

Back