Finding poly-friendly counselors

naturalblue

I've been feeling pretty confused about my relationships lately and I've found counseling to be helpful in the past. I know that not all therapists/counselors are familiar/accepting of a poly lifestyle though so I wondered how you go about finding one that is.

I have been feeling less and less connected to my husband in the past 6-8 months or so and am beginning to wonder if getting married was a mistake since I have felt like this before in our relationship but always just decided to make it work (also, he is a very hard person to break up with). Adding to this is some very intense NRE with a new boyfriend (I have only been with him 3 months though, so he is not completely to blame for this, but it has thrown my feelings about my marriage into sharp relief). I am trying to keep a level head and be cognizant that NRE is heady stuff and no decisions should happen while in it's thrall, but as I mentioned, this was starting to happen before the NRE was an issue. I'm caught between wondering if marriage was the right thing to do and feeling that I already made that commitment so I need to keep it.

There are a lot of details here, of course, and I'm happy to discuss further if people think they may have advice or have been in a similar situation, but in the meantime if anyone has any experience in finding a poly friendly therapist, I would greatly appreciate any tips.

Last edited:
From our Golden Nuggets forum:

Ways to find poly-friendly professionals and/or those who specialize in "alternative lifestyle" counseling:

Polychromatic: Poly-Friendly Professionals.

Loving More's List of Poly-Friendly Professionals.

Tristan Taormino's Open List

National Coalition for Sexual Freedom's Kink-Aware Professionals (KAP) Directory

Psychology Today: Find a Therapist
. With this one, you can select "Relationship Issues" after you narrow it down for your zip code.

Edit: the link to Loving More's list in my original post was broken, but I fixed it here.

Last edited:
Thanks! I tried to look around for an answer first, but there's just so much information on here it's easy to miss stuff.

Back