ADHD [General ADHD Talk]

I think one issue is that until very recently-there was little or no interest or concern regarding ADHD in adults. So (like studies on poly people and GLBT peeps) there is very little conclusive information for that.

I can't speak to the whole food color blah blah blah. It's not something I deal with.

I can speak to the fact that hyperactivity comes in two forms-one is physical hyperactivity that we all think of when we hear the word. But the other is in the thought process/talking aspect.
Females tend to be more likely to be "hyper" in the second form than the first.

Also, there are several types of ADHD that don't have hyperactivity at all.
My boyfriend is ADD. He's not hyper by any stretch of the word.

Regarding adults; my mom (60s), myself (38), husband (41), boyfriend (37), ex brother in law (38), my daughter (21), sister (19) are all diagnosed.

There's an OBVIOUS difference in our thought processes, memory, attention span-compared to my sister who is 37 and not ADD for example. So much of an obvious difference-that it would be darn near impossible NOT to notice! :)

Interestingly enough-the difference isn't in 'hyperactivity' as much as distractedness, impulsivity, memory, attention span limitations.
Too many people think that ADHD's biggest sign is hyperactivity. It's really not.

I will see if I can find some good links for you. (It was me who suggested Midnightsun post by the way-she's an ADHD coach and runs the local CHADD group here)
But-I have a lot of homework to do, so it may be a bit. Trying to finish out the semester. :)

I think one issue is that until very recently-there was little or no interest or concern regarding ADHD in adults. So (like studies on poly people and GLBT peeps) there is very little conclusive information for that.

I can't speak to the whole food color blah blah blah. It's not something I deal with.

I can speak to the fact that hyperactivity comes in two forms-one is physical hyperactivity that we all think of when we hear the word. But the other is in the thought process/talking aspect.
Females tend to be more likely to be "hyper" in the second form than the first.

Also, there are several types of ADHD that don't have hyperactivity at all.
My boyfriend is ADD. He's not hyper by any stretch of the word.

Regarding adults; my mom (60s), myself (38), husband (41), boyfriend (37), ex brother in law (38), my daughter (21), sister (19) are all diagnosed.

There's an OBVIOUS difference in our thought processes, memory, attention span-compared to my sister who is 37 and not ADD for example. So much of an obvious difference-that it would be darn near impossible NOT to notice! :)

Interestingly enough-the difference isn't in 'hyperactivity' as much as distractedness, impulsivity, memory, attention span limitations.
Too many people think that ADHD's biggest sign is hyperactivity. It's really not.

I will see if I can find some good links for you. (It was me who suggested Midnightsun post by the way-she's an ADHD coach and runs the local CHADD group here)
But-I have a lot of homework to do, so it may be a bit. Trying to finish out the semester. :)
I did not know hyperactivity was not one of the most common parts about it. Though I do know that the hyperactivity is really not often to the point of bouncing off the walls. My own hyperactivity seems to only really be a cause of irritability and fidgeting. I'm definitely more on the inattentive side. Memory and focus get thrown out of the window.

One thing I do for memory, is to try and write anything down that is important to remember. Sticky notes on my desk, that I'm able to just stick around where I know I'll see them. But focus is where I really wish I had any good tricks like that. =P

LOL! OH MY GOD! If I didn't write things down I would lose myself! :) Totally understand that one!

here's a very short-not highly detailed-quick run down of the common forms ADD/ADHD are separated into. :)

"Inattentive Type": Trouble Paying Attention just like Winnie the Pooh
"Classic ADHD": Tiggers like to bounce, and may have ADHD...
"Over-Focused ADHD": Rabbit tends his garden, but is not "flexible"
"ADHD with Anxiety": Piglet is nervous and worries...
"ADHD and Depression": Eeyore is always so sad...

Something I found very interesting when we took my oldest daughter in. We didn't take her in for ADD. We took her in for depression and suicidal ideation. But anyway-they went through this list of behaviors/attitudes etc that seemed so broad. It was the list of common traits/behaviors of ADD/ADHD. They noted that it is often very different in "appearance" in girls/women then it is in boys/men.
For females-it tends to come out in a sense of perfectionism (or failure to meet those make believe standards) and result in severe depression-which is often seen via sleeping too much, eating too much, lack of energy, lack of motivation etc. (the exact opposite of what we think of when we think of ADD/ADHD).
"Typical signs of ADD in girls include:

Difficulty maintaining focus
Easily distracted
Disorganized and “messy”
Forgetful
Difficulty completing tasks
Daydreaming
Slow to process information and directions (It may even appear that they aren’t hearing you)
Careless
Often late (poor time management)"

This is an interesting article on the difference:
http://www.science20.com/science_motherhood/girls_add_why_it_so_often_missed

LOL! OH MY GOD! If I didn't write things down I would lose myself! :) Totally understand that one!

here's a very short-not highly detailed-quick run down of the common forms ADD/ADHD are separated into. :)

"Inattentive Type": Trouble Paying Attention just like Winnie the Pooh
"Classic ADHD": Tiggers like to bounce, and may have ADHD...
"Over-Focused ADHD": Rabbit tends his garden, but is not "flexible"
"ADHD with Anxiety": Piglet is nervous and worries...
"ADHD and Depression": Eeyore is always so sad...

Something I found very interesting when we took my oldest daughter in. We didn't take her in for ADD. We took her in for depression and suicidal ideation. But anyway-they went through this list of behaviors/attitudes etc that seemed so broad. It was the list of common traits/behaviors of ADD/ADHD. They noted that it is often very different in "appearance" in girls/women then it is in boys/men.
For females-it tends to come out in a sense of perfectionism (or failure to meet those make believe standards) and result in severe depression-which is often seen via sleeping too much, eating too much, lack of energy, lack of motivation etc. (the exact opposite of what we think of when we think of ADD/ADHD).

Easily distracted
Disorganized and “messy”
Forgetful
Daydreaming
Slow to process information and directions (It may even appear that they aren’t hearing you)
Careless

Love the Pooh listing. =P I don't know anything about the over-focused type, though. I know that hyperfocus is something that comes and goes in inattentive types. This is where I find my most productive time. and I wish it never ended when it happens. I get a couple of hours of work done to perfection usually, up to a day if I'm really lucky. But then I feel even more drained of energy after it, that can last for weeks or months.

Also, I now feel like a girl. =P All those "more common for females" things, they all fit me.

The way I see "messiness", though, is actually highly organised. For me. I have everything where it is meant to be. and so I know where it is at all times.
Now, if I put an object down where it is not meant to be, I will lose it. Gone forever, or until I accidentally stumble upon it once again. It doesn't even have to be something small like keys, or even be far away. It could be on a shelf next to the desk where I usually put it, but it'll be invisible to me whilst I'm looking for it. Or I can put something into a different pocket in the same jacket, and still have a small panic attack when it isn't in the pocket it is meant to be in. >_<

and for the time management. I get around it, by always setting off earlier than I think I need to. I manage to get places very early instead. Still, sometimes too early. I have sat around for an hour before now. But always better than being late. and if I am late with a bus not turning up, or something, I'm still usually at least on time to where I need to be.
I know some people get around this more directly, by changing all their clocks to be a few minutes forward. So when it says they need to set off, they are actually setting off earlier. I don't use this myself, as I'd see it as "well I still have that 10 minutes, actually", and it would mess up what I already have.

What do you mean by careless, though? Because to me, that would be the same as "difficulty maintaining focus", or rather, the neglect from that difficulty. But perhaps you mean it as clumsy? Or as a lack of consideration of other people? Or even care-free. The "nothing in the world could bother me" type careless.
Other than clumsy, the other three apply to me in some way.

I actually copy/pasted that info from one of the links I included. ;)
So I'm not sure precisely which way they meant careless.

I know that it frequently shows up in not taking time to think about how our words/actions will affect others.
My oldest daughter is currently pregnant-so she can't take her ADD meds. OMG talk about drive a person nuts! LOL!
She just doesn't EVER shut up-I mean-never. I haven't asked her husband-but if he told me she talks all night-I wouldn't be surprised.
Repeatedly she gets reminded by MANY people (HEY HEY HEY! Need not say that outloud! or There are nicer ways to put that!) the kicker is-she is a VERY loving and considerate person. But when her mind is going a million miles a minute-she just starts talking what she's thinking-without THINKING about what she's thinking and how it might come out.
Then she feels LIKE SHIT aftewards.

Ironically-my husband has that in common with her! (they aren't biologically related).

He is an over-focused ADD. He is ALWAYS hyperfocused. It never stops. Every day, all day long. He is a supervisor at work, (electrician) and he is forever texting me to ask if its unreasonable that he expects employees to keep up with him. To which I often have to tell him yes (after inquiring as to WHAT the scenario is this time!). Because he literally doesn't stop. He starts work at 7am and will work until the job is done which at times has been 16-18 hours. No breaks, no pauses.
He's been asked point blank if he uses cocaine because of it.
Interestingly-if he takes his ADD meds, then he is more prone to pause, take a break, etc. LOL

And weekends-he drives us all nuts (and vacations) because he's up and running from morning til he passes out.

There are nicer ways to put that!
I get that all the time... and I just sit there, thinking... "What? I don't understand. I was just being straight-forward."
I don't like dancing around a subject. Though I often get stuck for words, causing huge rants about meaningless subjects, I make the most to make myself as clear and to the point as possible.

He is an over-focused ADD. He is ALWAYS hyperfocused. It never stops. Every day, all day long. He is a supervisor at work, (electrician) and he is forever texting me to ask if its unreasonable that he expects employees to keep up with him. To which I often have to tell him yes (after inquiring as to WHAT the scenario is this time!). Because he literally doesn't stop. He starts work at 7am and will work until the job is done which at times has been 16-18 hours. No breaks, no pauses.
He's been asked point blank if he uses cocaine because of it.
Interestingly-if he takes his ADD meds, then he is more prone to pause, take a break, etc. LOL.
Does he enjoy his job? I would assume so.
I think I would be the same, in a similar job. Something where there is a lot of structure in what you do. Like with electricity, there are things that are always definite.
But with me, music is my main "work". But because it is such a free-flowing environment, where rules are broken, more often than followed, I always feel all over the place. One thing I'm wanting to figure out, is how to find a similar structure to writing music, as you would have as an electrician. But without the terrible songs that come with following formulae. :p

I've been reading and appreciating this thread. It's super timely for me as Whip has ADHD. I have not been in a relationship with someone with ADHD. The thread has been eye-opening and interesting!

I've been reading and appreciating this thread. It's super timely for me as Whip has ADHD. I have not been in a relationship with someone with ADHD. The thread has been eye-opening and interesting!
I am happy that it has been helpful for you in some way. =]

I'm sure we would all love for you to share your own experiences with Whip's ADHD. and if Whip is on the forum, for a first-hand story. =]

Especially interesting, would be what you have found eye-opening, and why.

Been spending quite a bit of time, here and there, over at ADD Forums.
[Why ADD? I have no idea, seeing as it is a general ADHD forum.]

So many people to connect with. Constant feeling, whilst reading, of "oh wow, me too!" :D

Seems like a very strict ruleset on posting, especially when the majority of the users are going to have ADHD... But there seem to be lots of friendly people there, either way. :)

A great source of information, from people living with it directly, or indirectly, through family, partners, whatnot, too.

I’∂ prefer if things we're such that I could just be myself without having everyone try to medicate me or worse just leave me the fuck alone is what i want to sya to the likes of doctors in general. of course that isn't possible…… >< god their intolerable.

I’∂ prefer if things we're such that I could just be myself without having everyone try to medicate me or worse just leave me the fuck alone is what i want to sya to the likes of doctors in general. of course that isn't possible…… >< god their intolerable.
Doctors can't medicate you without your permission. They're hardly going to be throwing pills down your throat...

Doctors can't medicate you without your permission. They're hardly going to be throwing pills down your throat...
I’ve actually experience that, or at the very least something wholly analogous[almost identical except not with pills except once I was actually forced to swallow ritalin several a times] to that.
(O___o)” this is comparatively mild episode, guess what this episode was… yup getting raped…… most certainly by either a doctor or a nurse, as a child.[this I recall happening multiple occasions].
although strictly speaking yeah it's criminal most certainly a violation of human rights.

I prefer to talk about happier things. I noticed your younger than me… I didn't expect that.

Last edited:
Seems weird that anyone would get a Rogers (forced med order) for an ADD med. I figured those would be reserved for antipsychotics.

Easily distracted
Disorganized and “messy”
Forgetful
Daydreaming
Careless

Thank you for posting this! I actually have every one of these symptoms and have been thinking for a couple of years now that I do have ADD. It has been an issue with relationships and business partnerships as well, I am sure. I think I will pursue getting evaluated so that I can deal with it. LOL

MY 5yo shows many symptoms as well, definitely hyper and hard to keep focused. And running does make a difference for her too. She MUST play outside every day, otherwise she just has meltdowns. IF she gets her physical activity in, she is much better. I appreciate knowing that this works for your kids as well LR!

Very interesting information on the histamine issue as well. Worth investigating further...

Back