New Poly-curios guy here with a question..

Jtron

Hello to all. I was wondering about several dynamics associated with the poly lifestyle. 1) Since I'm new to the poly lifesytle how do you meet other poly people in a safe environment? 2) If/when I meet someone how long should I wait before confiding my new found poly status? Any advice would be welcome. Thanks for listening!!

Some people find partners on OK Cupid, a dating site. Others go to poly meetups/munches. Sometimes you just might meet someone randomly who is open to the idea...

It's best to tell a potential partner that you are poly asap.

Some people find partners on OK Cupid, a dating site. Others go to poly meetups/munches. Sometimes you just might meet someone randomly who is open to the idea...

It's best to tell a potential partner that you are poly asap.

I figured honesty is the best policy in any new relationship. I hope there is a way to say you are poly without sounding like you are totally strange to any new or potential partners. It sounds like I need to hang around with people who already practice poly. I feel like there is all kinds of new etiquette I need to learn. I've been reading everything I can get my hands on but I'm sure experience will be the best teacher.

On OK Cupid you can say you're polyamorous and highlight it so people can search you for that term, and vice versa.

Check the thread here, "online dating, what's your thing?"

I generally find it too confusing to use the word "polyamorous." Most folks either have no idea what that is or they think it's swinging. I tell people I am not interested in exclusivity. They usually get what that means, and it's easier to discuss it further. I don't look only for polyfolk nor just within my local poly community, either. Lots of people are open to it even if they've never heard the word before.

This has been discussed in numerous threads before. Do a search, maybe look for the tag "dating."

I generally find it too confusing to use the word "polyamorous." Most folks either have no idea what that is or they think it's swinging. I tell people I am not interested in exclusivity. They usually get what that means, and it's easier to discuss it further. I don't look only for polyfolk nor just within my local poly community, either. Lots of people are open to it even if they've never heard the word before.

This has been discussed in numerous threads before. Do a search, maybe look for the tag "dating."

I agree that the term exclusivity is more easily understood. Thanks for the info!

I've had some success with OkCupid. You can also try searching for any local poly support groups. Shortly after we opened up our marriage, I did a search and found a group on Meetup.com. Turns out the hostess lived 5 minutes away, and we've been friends ever since. It was at the second meetup I attended that I met my current girlfriend. You may also check out other forums, such as Yahoo groups etc.

Back