The Science of Feeling Good

korindino

There has to be some sort of trick to it, something to uncover that makes it easier--or at least more possible--to feel good.

As a bit of background, I have to say that I honestly don't know of a time in my life when I've felt completely well. I'm a complex tower of physical, psychological, and physiological problems. I have always been overweight, and massively so. I've had lifelong issues with allergies, asthma, gastric disorders, hormonal imbalance, depression, and insomnia. At any point, at least one of these issues (or something else that I have yet to discover) has been bothering me.

I can take some medications to help with some of these issues, but things like the depression only feel better when I'm at a good place in life. One of the problems is, things don't often feel good in my life because I'm so exhausted and dogged down by my health issues that I let things--friendships, opportunities, chances to have some fun and adventure--slip by.

So, I'm working from the ground up. Trying to sort things out, get my health in order so I can concentrate on getting back to grad school, getting out of my shitty retail management job, and actually building the life I want for myself.

So I'm outlining plans for getting there, one step at a time. Changing the little things. I guess all I want from a blog is this: a place to keep my thoughts in order, a place where I can bitch about the process, and hopefully a little help from people in holding me accountable for this. I'm good at making plans and not seeing them through (largely because this illness/stasis thing that plagues me.)

Any support or prodding in the right direction would be much appreciated.

Kori's simple changes for a better life:
--See a doctor (I have an appointment on Friday) and be persistent about getting things taken care of. Get the workups to make sure that I'm not having any sort of endocrine/metabolic/blood sugar issues.
--Less processed food. It's getting into the growing season anyway. I will live for my local farmer's market.
--Cut back on soda. I had been drinking a 2-liter of diet pepsi every day. This cannot possibly be good. Substituting tea, because I cannot drink water for some reason.
--Kashi and home-made oatmeal instead of Froot Loops.
--Eat 1 cup of yogurt daily.
--Skim milk instead of 1%.
--30 minutes of fresh air daily, minimum.
--Try my best to leave work at work and not fret about it when I'm off the clock.

Good luck with your life changes. It is possible. Start with one change at a time and chose the change that is easiest for you to make. Success will help you stick to it. I was realizing yesterday (because I'm at a conference where we're talking about change) how long it has taken me to get to where I am today. 10 years ago I was overweight and thought that a block and a half was a long walk. Now I'm at a place where activity is a natural part of my life and making healthy choices when I eat isn't a chore anymore. I did it by making one change at a time and getting used to that before moving on to something else.

Also keep us posted with how you're doing. Having a group to offer support is always a good thing. All the best

-Derby

Kori's simple changes for a better life:
--See a doctor (I have an appointment on Friday) and be persistent about getting things taken care of. Get the workups to make sure that I'm not having any sort of endocrine/metabolic/blood sugar issues.
--Less processed food. It's getting into the growing season anyway. I will live for my local farmer's market.
--Cut back on soda. I had been drinking a 2-liter of diet pepsi every day. This cannot possibly be good. Substituting tea, because I cannot drink water for some reason.
--Kashi and home-made oatmeal instead of Froot Loops.
--Eat 1 cup of yogurt daily.
--Try my best to leave work at work and not fret about it when I'm off the clock.

Thanks for sharing this Korindo :)
I like the things you listed above because they are so possible and realistic! Too many people try to go on diets as opposed to changing their dietary choices if you know what I mean. One is short term, the other long term.

Sounds like you have really done your homework.

Diet soda, although lacking in the sugar of others, is till an appetite stimulator which leads to the desire to eat so it's a great choice in reducing that in my opinion.

I have Kashi and yogurt every morning and I feel great and it's yummee! (yogurt is my icecream)

Skim milk all the way!

Fresh air and leaving work at work...priceless:)

Here's to you achieving everything you want :)

Last edited:
I for one can understand a lot of what you are saying and going to do here. Athough never considered "massively" overweight, I have been at least 50 -75 lbs more than what is considered healthy for a long time. Good ol' puberty took away my high metabolism. lol I have also had health problems from asthma to bad knees and back which make exercise painful. But I'd like to leave you some of my thoughts and what I've found to help me and my quest for health and happiness with my body.

Very important, but what is also important is having a Doc you trust to help you do what you need. Make sure you get along with the doc and they want to work with you or find a new one, if possible.

The trick I learned for my own weight loss was not just what I ate, but how much. When hubby would cook dinner some nights, he would make enough for 3 servings, one for each of us and one for leftovers. I tended to eat that 3rd serving with dinner more often than not because I always felt hungry still. That came to a fast end (simple change). The other change was with my fast food habits. Whopper Jr., not Whopper, Apple Fries/Dippers, not French fries (unless craving, I am preggo after all), Grilled Snack Wraps instead of Filet-o-Fish...those kinds of changes really did help a lot.

First, have to say, I cannot drink water either. Makes me nauseated unless I am getting really dehydrated. Second, I had a 24 pack of Dew every 3 days habit...I am now down to one can a day (those mini cans just didn't have enough caffeine for me). I try to get juice or milk when we eat out.
Tea is great, juice, milk, lemonade/limeade...more natural ingredients than fillers.

My psych told me of a gentleman in New York, in an attempt to get me to start getting outside and getting more exercise, who was overweight and very out of shape. He bought himself a cheap bicycle and started by just going around the block once a day as that was all he could manage. Neighbors were not kind and laughed (big guy on bike and all). After a week or two he was able to manage two blocks...etc. His neighbors stopped laughing and would wave or applaud even after time and they started seeing how much he was changing. Point of the story, slow and steady improvements work. Start with a walk around the block, if that is easy then move to block and a half or two (we have an alley in back so half blocks are possible) and then keep increasing. Switch it up a little and change blocks.

Good luck with this one. Hubby has been working on this one for some time now. Unfortunately, while at work he thinks of problems at home, while at home he thinks of problems at work and he can't seem to figure out a way to switch them.

As we all know these changes are possible as people do them all the time. I find it is keeping with the change and not falling back into comfort zones that really bogs me down. Well, that and getting pregnant. ;)

Here's to you chieving everything you want :)

Seconded. You have a great, realistic list there and the right attitude toward creating your own happiness

BTW, "chieving" is my new favorite word, Mono! Takes some of the seriousness out of our goals and ambitions, no? HA!
-R

Look into Buddhism.

Seriously.

They know a lot about changing bringing out your Inner Self, the Divine within you.

It doesn't matter how many external things you change about your life. All the fresh air and green tea in the world won't make your life better unless you change from within.

Day 1 of better choices

First of all, I want to thank everyone for your outpouring of positivity and support. I need every bit of help I can get. Stoicism is one of my major downfalls.

I should explain why I'm doing this now, after I've tried and failed before. It's a combination of little things.

Work has been more than a little stressful lately. A visit from our area manager a few weeks ago has left my boss in a position where she's scared for her job--and that high-strung, nagging feeling she has about it is getting passed onto us. I'm finally getting a weekend after 9 days back to back at work, 9 days in which I got further and further behind in my monthly goals. I was on my feet 9 hours a day, running around like a mad chicken, only to get chewed out for all the things I had missed or accidetally overlooked--and ignored for everything I did well.

I realized at that moment that while my dream of going back to grad school and moving on to teaching was there, I haven't taken a damned step towards it since I left college last July. I realized I needed to move towards that, but for the last few months I've found myself so physically and mentally exhausted that I haven't put forth any of the effort needed. I know that I have something yet undiagnosed. Lately I've been feeling huge highs and lows around meals--I'm dizzy and exhausted and withdrawn when I'm hungry, and after eating I have intense headaches and nausea. I never have any energy, and while I know part of it is my diet, I sometimes wonder if my body isn't processing what I eat correctly.

This is part of what is leading me to make these changes. The other part is that I cleaned out my fridge the other day. It was shocking. I had three heads of lettuce, a bag of carrots, some leeks, a head of broccoli, and three tomatoes that had all been left to rot while I was eating banquet meals and fast food instead. After cleaning the fridge, here's what I had left: ketchup, mayo, chocolate syrup, three plastic lemons full of lemon juice, a gallon of milk, some leftover chinese takeout, and five bags of shredded cheese.

This is all part of spring cleaning for me.

Today's smart and productive decisions:
-bought new produce--including bagged salad because it eliminates the "prep work" excuse.
-brewed some tea and iced it for work instead of my traditional 2-liter.
-packed some chicken and rice soup and whole wheat crackers for dinner at work today instead of eating mall food.
-Kashi for breakfast.
-did some dishes instead of sleeping in.

Slips/areas for improvement
-frozen pizza for dinner last night, ate the leftovers as late-night snack/next-day lunch.
-didn't eat my yogurt.
-didn't get my 30 minutes of fresh air. (Will sleep with a window open tonight though to air out the apartment/get a little freshness.)
-bought a pretzel when I stopped to get a cup of ice on my way into work.
-ate cereal for dinner. Definitely behind on my proteins today.

May I make a suggestion?
Having gone from 216 down to 152 in the last 2 years I found a few things that were VERY helpful.

First-join www sparkpeople.com

It's free and it's got a LOT of helpful parts/pieces to it.

track your food/drinks PERFECTLY. Seriously-I did that and it was a HUGE difference.
There is a tracker on sparkpeople for food/drinks/water/activity.

Start slow with working out-but be consistent. Pick things that don't SEEM like a new workout-log 'em. Like walking to the mailbox, or walking around the yard, do leg lifts while you watch tv....

See if you can manage the water if you use some lemon in it and have it over ice.
Every time you feel hungry-if you drink a glass of water ( I always do iced with lemon) first-then eat after, you will eat less. We often eat too much because we eat when our bodies are actually thirsty.

Commit to no soda by (pick a date) like they do with cigarettes. That one is hard for most people, but soda is a killer for the body in LOTS of ways.

Also-if you like to read, check out the book "the china study". It's frightening but very helpful in regards to health issues regarding food.

Feel free to PM me-I'm healing right now from surgery-but I'm pretty serious about my health too and it's been a lot of work, but I am making great progress. You can too!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Days 2-3

Today I had my first doctor's appointment since July. I told my doctor what I was up against health-wise, and she set up an action plan for me, along with a series of medications she's going to give me and some healthy living plans I have to follow. We have a goal: get me to a healthy weight.

I will never be skinny. I don't want to be skinny. I would be amazed and ecstatic if I made it down to a size 14. I will have to lose about 200 lbs to get there, and I can't even imagine how great that will feel.

So, I got three needles stuck in me and a ton of blood taken. I'm going to have my glucose and insulin levels checked, my testosterone and estrogen levels, thyroid levels, vitamin D, and several other things tested. Hopefully from that workup, we'll figure out what the heck is wrong with me.

Today I passed up the temptation to go out to eat. I made a sandwich at home instead. Also, I brewed more tea, so I'll have something to drink at home.

I passed up soda at dinner last night and while I was at Alex and Jenny's last night, and had iced tea and bottled water instead.

I'm having a productive couple of days. Yesterday I paid all my bills and worked out a budget. Today I did some dishes and some cleaning. I threw open my windows and the door to my balcony and let my fresh air come in.

Tomorrow I have work. This is always a pitfall because due to my 50 min commute and the fact that my job is exhausting, I find it hard to turn down soda or fast food when I'm at work/commuting. I'll see what I can do to keep from being too bad to myself.

Here is another thought that you reminded me of when you mentioned skinny < size 14. What is your bone size? If you are not sure, take your right hand and try to touch the thumb and middle finger around your left wrist, the narrowest spot. If they touch easily, you are small boned. If they just touch, you are medium boned. If you cannot touch them together, you are large boned like I am. I could not be a size 14 without question being drawn to my health, if I'm lucky I can get down to a 16, which to me would be just fine. I personally don't put much stock into clothing size = skinniness since alot depends on the cut and the manufacturer as opposed to some kind of universal standard.

Always remember as well, most fast food places do have healthier alternatives. Or modify your condiments. Getting a burger? No Mayo. Taco Bell? try their Fresca meals and get the chicken instead of the beef. Chinese food? go with a vegetarian or chicken dish that doesn't have a lot of sauce (and no sweet & sour chicken!) or something like the sauteed green beans. Also most fast food have those menu nutrition guides, either as handout or online. Take a quick look at those and figure out a plan if you do feel the need to resort to fast food. Want a nuk'em meal? Try Lean Cuisine (their Paninis are pretty good). Stay away from deep fried and if deep fried is all the place offers, get sides like salad, coleslaw or whatever.

You CAN do it! Don't give up!

Here is another thought that you reminded me of when you mentioned skinny < size 14. What is your bone size? If you are not sure, take your right hand and try to touch the thumb and middle finger around your left wrist, the narrowest spot. If they touch easily, you are small boned. If they just touch, you are medium boned. If you cannot touch them together, you are large boned like I am.

Not to disagree, but I will disagree. :)...unless you have average hands for your structure...I am large framed and can easily overlap my fingers, but I also have exceptionally long fingers and a long hand. You are better to actually measure using tape measure which then calculates wrist circumference vs your height.

http://www.medindia.net/patients/calculators/framesize1.asp

You CAN do it! Don't give up!

Absolutely. Keep doing what you know is right and it will happen for you :)

Goodness knows that clothing manufacturers MUST make some shit up! :)

I am NOT kidding-I have a pair of jeans that fits nicely that is a size 12 and another pair that fit nearly the SAME that are size 6. :confused: FREAKS.

As for your efforts and going to get the bloodwork done, GREAT JOB!!!

Keep writing-it helps to keep in touch with people who are supportive!!
;)

Goodness knows that clothing manufacturers MUST make some shit up! :)

I am NOT kidding-I have a pair of jeans that fits nicely that is a size 12 and another pair that fit nearly the SAME that are size 6. :confused: FREAKS.

As for your efforts and going to get the bloodwork done, GREAT JOB!!!

Keep writing-it helps to keep in touch with people who are supportive!!
;)

Vanity sizing is a wonderful thing. Manufacturers have it down, if the label reads a smaller size you're more likely to buy it. I have clothes that range from a size 4 to a size 10. It makes no sense at all!

Blood work

My bloodwork came back last week, and it looks pretty inconclusive on the testosterone levels / insulin uptake front. I'm going to have to sit down with my doctor again and see what all of this means regarding my weight issues. We might be looking in the wrong direction.

What we did find is that my vitamin D levels are way too low, and my cholesterol is astonishingly high. I've never had cholesterol issues before, but now that I think of it, I shouldn't be so surprised.

Since December I've been working my retail management job in the next state over. I got moved due to corporate politics, and my 10 minute street commute became a 45 minute highway commute. There is also more foot-traffic at this store than the previous one, and it feels like there is three times as much work to do at any given moment. My stress levels are out of control, and I've been finding that this, combined with the steep rise in road time, has lead to me eating entirely too much fast food. I really need to cut that out.

The good news is that seeing my cholesterol results has made me highly conscious of what I'm eating. When approached with the prospect of eating fatty or greasy foods, I'm severely put off. I haven't quite made it to the point where "healthy" foods seem entirely enticing. Basically, nothing sounds good to me and I'm forcing myself to eat.

Bad news is that I'm also becoming heartily aware of the eating habits of those around me, namely Alex and Jenny. Alex loves buffets, and always wants to go to them. I'll see him pile up plate after plate. The three of us went to a buffet the other night, and I'm the only one who went to the salad bar or chose to eat any green vegetables off the hot food line. Alex routinely asks me out to late-night breakfasts at a 24-hour diner. We order in pizza, or get fast food. Furthermore, neither of them cooks much. Their kitchen is filled with sandwich meats, easy-mac, frozen dinners, and sodas. Each of them is well over 300 lbs, Jenny is pre-diabetic and already developing arthritis, Alex has had gout and doesn't sleep well due to severe apnea. I don't know if they're not conscious of what they're consuming, or if they just don't entirely care. I love them both, and I hate to see this happening to them--and it's also a scary wake-up call for what I have to look forward to in the next 10 years if I don't manage to drop some weight.

I don't want to cause waves or anything. I don't want to critique their eating habits like a holier-than-thou, mothering type. I'm just trying hard to make a positive change in my life, and I want the people I love to support me and strive for their own health too.

It's scary to think of what can happen to us if we don't.

Definitely keep searching, but don't underestimate the importance of that vitamin D.
I started taking 4000 IU's of D a day (I live in Alaska and yes I really do need AT LEAST that much a day).

I had been STUCK unable to lose weight for YEARS. I dropped damn near to 20 lbs in the first 2 weeks.

Now-don't get me wrong either, 20 lbs in 2 weeks is NOT generally healthy! NOT something I would try to do on purpose. It just worked out that way and I was eating.

The other thing I've found is that I am ADD (new that but was never medicated). I knew medication controlled hyperactivity and disorganization issues, but those weren't out of control for me, so I didn't bother getting it.
I found out that it also helps with impulsivity. The doctor suggested trying it. I didn't even KNOW I was an impulsive eater until I started taking the medication.

Oh my goodness. It was SO amazing the first time someone said, "LR you want some icecream?" I said yes, because I LOVE icecream. But I only ate like 2 small bites and then tossed it, because I really didn't want it AT ALL.
I started CRAVING fresh fruit and veggies too. Craving? Yes, CRAVING.
I almost never eat anything like fast food anymore, because I look at it and my stomach cringes, not my mind. I can mentally sit here and drool thinking about a double quarter pounder with cheese! But one bite-and my body says ICK and I look like that Mr. Yuck sticker from when I was a kid!!!

So, yes-do keep looking. Keep up the great work. It sounds like you are really being honest with yourself and being very introspective in the sense that you are finding your own triggers and behaviors! That is a WONDERFUL step.

You ever need a little emotional thumbs up, PM me. Great job and keep us posted!!
;)

Making waves can be hard, so make ripples. Cook for them, if you can, more often. Set up romantic meals with the four food groups. Find ways that they like certain things cooked. If you end up ordering out, get pizza, with lots of veggies. It's not perfect, but at least you will be getting the needed daily alotment. :) There are always ways of getting people to eat well or at least better if they have help without beating them over the head with a carrot. ;)

Oh, and there are certain frozen dinners that do come with veggies now too. Or are at least healthier then fried or deep fried foods.

Back