Hello People

Draconem

Hello all,Im basically here to first of all learn about some of my misconceptions regarding this life style,secondly to try to grow into it sensibly and to get rid of the stigma that somewhere along the line, I've acquired as a non-monogamous male...Thirdly this post wont do my post count any harm...Let me also see if amongst the words of wisdom that are no doubt hidden on this forum...I can also find some humour...:)

hi. welcome and i'm pretty new here too.

Hello and welcome!

. . . Im basically here to first of all learn about some of my misconceptions regarding this life style . . .

Well, there is your first misconception right there! Polyamory is not a lifestyle! Poly is simply the openness, desire, or ability to be in multiple, loving relationships without the need to hide, sneak around, or cheat. That's all. There is not one kind of lifestyle that could possibly represent what polyamory is - you can incorporate polyamory into many various ways of living.

The term "lifestyle" is often used by swingers and those in the kink/BDSM community, but it really doesn't mean anything in poly. Please see this thread for more clarification on the subject: What is this "lifestyle" you mention?

Last edited:
Welcome Draconem,

Hope you enjoy your stay on our forum. There is quite a variety of material here, so you should be able to find your humor as well as words of wisdom to help with the stigma and that. ;)

Have a look around, and follow any threads that call to you. Glad to have you aboard.

Sincerely,
Kevin T.

I didn't wag my finger at you and say you are wrong. You expressed wanting to "learn about your misconceptions" about poly - and, after welcoming you, I offered you a misconception to look at and pointed you to a thread which offers a good, spirited debate on the topic while letting you see some of the personalities of the members here. Sheesh, be careful what you wish for, dude, you just might get it!

I didn't wag my finger at you and say you are wrong. You expressed wanting to "learn about your misconceptions" about poly - and, after welcoming you, I offered you a misconception to look at and pointed you to a thread which offers a good, spirited debate on the topic while letting you see some of the personalities of the members here. Sheesh, be careful what you wish for, dude, you just might get it!

Quite :) Original Poster, gotta remeber we are all faceless internet people and most of us (NYC above me here included, she says great stuff) are trying to be helpful, even if it isnt always just want you wanted to hear :)

Now I am wondering if I put "lifestyle" in my intro. :rolleyes: I am pretty sure I attempted to remain as generalized as I could so I would not unknowingly make a mistake.

I appreciate the information on how some do not like labels or being grouped together. When I read the linked information someone (sorry all the names are swirling in my head at the moment) did mention that from a member who is currently on the outside (me) looking in (everyone on here so far) it does tend to be a way of keeping all of the brainstorming bubbles accurate.

Back