my little poly dream might be coming true :)

booklady78

So here's where we are...

My husband and I rent a house that also has a separate basement suite for rent. Our landlord has been doing some renovations down there and it will be ready by June 1st.
My bf of 8 months is rather unhappy in his current living arrangement. Our basement suite would be a vast improvement, it's larger, cheaper, has easier bus access, etc.
Now although not exactly like living together, as he would have a completely separate suite, this would still be pretty damn close to living together.
All three of us sat and down and talked about it tonight and agree that this is something that we can do. A final decision hasn't been made yet, need to speak to the landlord about some details.
I'm daring to hope that my little poly dream is coming true... I've thought about this for awhile now, having my bf join our family, really have him in my life without reservations.
Can we really do this? I've read a bit on the forums about why things can 'go south' with these kind of arrangements. We're talking about possible issues now, trying to get ahead of what might come up. Since some of the renovations done were adding insulation in the ceiling, we even did a 'sound' test to see how much we could really hear from the bedrooms :p To my relief, I had to holler pretty loud before I was heard!

I'm nervous as hell, can this really happen? I'm just so excited by the possibility, I don't want to miss any obvious issues.
Finances are totally separate. We're not going to have free reign of each others suites, they will remain two households.

Any suggestions as to what else we may need to consider?

Yeah, I've fantasized about something like that. But even if I can't have it, at least somebody can. So I'm happy for you!

My only wish is that we had more actual rooms and as you noted-better insulation.
But having Maca and GG here by my side is awesome and especially during this last few months with surgeries and whatnot-it's been especially reassuring!

I'm very envious. I would love to have Tech closer to me. I'd settle for an hour closer actually.

Congratulations!!!!!

You know, when I realized that I had fallen in love with my boyfriend I never imagined what's going to happen in the next few weeks could never materialize.
I believed that the idea of having him live in the basement was an indulgent fantasy that lacked practicality. I never dreamed that being poly could mean being a polyfamily.

May 15th, 2010
This is the day when my boyfriend will start moving in. Over the following weeks, my husband, our friends, they will all help in the moving process.
I would not have had the 'audacity' ;) to believe this could happen if not for these forums. I have read about not only the existence of polyfamilies, but ones that thrive.

I'm going to dare to keep dreaming that our polyfamily can thrive.

My heartfelt thanks to everyone who shares their journey here. Every story makes a difference. Every story has the potential to inspire someone. Thank you, thank you, thank you.

I am so happy for you! My husband and I are just heading into our first poly relationship, and I've already questioned what would happen one day... Nice to hear that it comes true for others. Best of luck to you and yours.

LOL! I know!! I'm actually just heading over to his place now to help him pack some more stuff. It's definitely alot easier to have the last 2 weeks of the month to move stuff and take time to clean and not have to rush. Looks like he's aiming for May 22 to be his actual move in date.
I'm soooo excited!!! :) Thanks Mono!

That's great !!! Keep us posted !!!

I just read this now. I agree with what others have posted. I would love to be in an arrangement like this! I'd love to live with or near my partners and their partners... a balance between shared time and a space to retreat to alone.

Good for you!

Love (all you need is: )

This is a fantastic story!
I am so happy for you and will selfishly await the updates!

sumx3

All moved in! *biggest smile ever* Not quite unpacked though :p
Just have the old place to clean up but we have a week to do that. We had a lovely weekend, got to be together (just the 2 of us) for most of it.
I know I've been happy at other points in my life before, this particular happiness is different, so calming, so grounding.
Can't stop smiling :)

Back