Experiences with therapy?

Online Therapy?

I just had a thought. Since we have a therapist piped up, I'm going to ask it... is there any way to do therapy online? Say with Skype in order to get the visual/body language cues? There seem to be a lot of people in small communities who don't have access to open-minded therapists, and perhaps that would be a way to open some doors.

What are the legal / licensing restrictions on that kind of thing?

skype therapy?

Hi,
I don't know if 'skype therapy' is available, being a bit of a technophobe and coming from a relational perspective I'd be a little suspicious of a therapy where the therapist & client aren't actually present to each other.
Maybe it exists and maybe it is useful to some, I don't think it would be the same as a 'real' therapeutic meeting but that's not to say it doesn't have a place.
Re. your difficulty finding poly-friendly therapists, I'm from Ireland and don't know how it differs in US, try practitioners with a humanist/integrative or gestalt basis and ask upfront before engaging them if they can accept polyamory as a valid form of sexuality/relationship. Having said that, don't forget that it is an important part of therapy to challenge the client in their choices and way of being.
Anyway enough of that, I'm not here as a therapist just a person struggling with his own monogamous culture, jeolousy, 'faithfullness' etc etc who wants, somewhat nervously, to explore alternatives...

hey all...i think you all will be pleased to hear that i went back for a solo session last night and it was really good. i was able to explain compersion to her in a way that she finally "got" and although we both readily agree that the way i think and feel and process these things isn't "normal", it's not necessarily unhealthy either. i didn't feel judged or pushed in any direction, she encouraged me to determine what will make me happy long term and helped me examine my attitudes about marriage, relationship loss and a few other key issues that have been sticking points. very very helpful session.

so now i've just gotta start actually moving in a direction.

Back