O' Brave New World!

ZeroShift

For me polyamory is a semi-new thing to me. I've heard about it for awhile but am now starting to make myself more aware as well as learn what lessons the community around me can teach me even if I find the lifestyle doesn't suit me.

I'm 26 and somewhat recently single from a long-distance relationship - monogamous relationship (as I've always been in) that ended due to her being too wrapped up in work and family for her to be in a relationship anymore.

I found myself drawn towards the local poly community through the local kink community (there's a bit of overlap in Austin), and through reading what I can online and offline (am currently reading (edit)Sex at Dawn) I'm finding many commonalities between myself and polyamory: communication, trust, and (at least for me) the emotional/romantic bond between myself and my partner. I see sex as a part as well but feel the emotional bond enhances this aspect much more.

So after a bit of googling I found this site and here I am posting this introduction. Not sure where else to go from here except to keep reading, asking questions, attend local socials, 101s, etc. Any additional input is welcome!

Last edited:
Re:
"Not sure where else to go from here except to keep reading, asking questions, attend local socials, 101s, etc. ... Any additional input is welcome!"

Well, I'm always glad to offer additional input, :), but it sounds like you have the right idea.

0-shift, welcome to our forum.

It's a very admirable and smart mindset that you have, that you are interested in learning about this "polyamory" stuff regardless of how suitable it turns out to be for you personally. As for finding commonalities in communication, trust, and the emotional/romantic bond, you're very right to find commanalities in those things, because those are principles that apply just as much to monogamy as they do polyamory. Although, polyamory's extra challenges tend to really make those principles stand out!

I don't know what it is about Austin, I sure am acquainted with a lot of poly peoples from that city, even though I've never been there myself. I kind of put Austin right up there with Seattle and Boston in terms of having a good strong poly community. (Now I have been to Seattle, and loved it there, drizzly though it may be.)

Re: Dawn of Sex ... do you mean "Sex at Dawn?" unless I'm thinking of another book. (I've never read Sex at Dawn, but it comes *highly* recommended.)

Anyway, it's great to have you here.
Sincerely,
Kevin T.

Re:

Re: Dawn of Sex ... do you mean "Sex at Dawn?" unless I'm thinking of another book. (I've never read Sex at Dawn, but it comes *highly* recommended.)

Anyway, it's great to have you here.
Sincerely,
Kevin T.

Yes, you're right - it's Sex at Dawn. I'm a tad tired. I should be getting some sleep :D

And thank you very much for the welcome!!

Back