Forum Survival Guide

MonoVCPHG

Tips to avoid insanity:

1. Know when to take a break
2. Know when to agree to disagree
3. Pursue positive thinking, avoid the negative spiral
4. Practice acceptance, don't just preach it
5. Don't take things personally but treat others like they are in fact a person.
6. When all else fails go to your Control Panel, look on the left hand side, locate the "Edit Ignore List" under the Settings & Options box, type the name into the provided space and press okay. Save and carry on.

Peace and Love
Mono:)

6. When all else fails go to your Control Panel, look on the left hand side, locate the "Edit Ignore List" under the Settings & Options box, type the name into the provided space and press okay. Save and carry on.

I absolutely HAVE to rain on your parade this time.

What you say - I tried doing that once with someone who shall be nameless but whose initials were A4 - and it works fine - EXCEPT it doesn't hide it when someone else QUOTES that person.

Carry on now!

I absolutely HAVE to rain on your parade this time.

What you say - I tried doing that once with someone who shall be nameless but whose initials were A4 - and it works fine - EXCEPT it doesn't hide it when someone else QUOTES that person.

Carry on now!

Yeah I know that Ygirl. He was the only person I did that to in the past since joining here in April.

See, that may work for some people, but I haven't done that yet on any of the online communities I have been on.

I tend to be a person, though, that will listen to all sides of a story, whether I agree with it or not - so I will listen to Olbermann and Limbaugh, even though I may be screaming at the radio/TV for some parts of them. I took time to read the Unabomber manifesto, and found that he had some very good points, in amongst the ranting.

Likewise when someone is just being an ass on a forum (and I have seen plenty) I don't stop listening to them - even the asses have one or two nuggets of true wisdom sometimes and I feel that by doing the Internet equivalent of sticking my fingers in my ears and going "la-la-la" I might miss out on something valuable. It doesn't matter to me whether I agree with it or not.

Maybe that's just me, though.

equivalent of sticking my fingers in my ears and going "la-la-la" I might miss out on something valuable. It doesn't matter to me whether I agree with it or not.

Maybe that's just me, though.

I tend to practice & advocate this approach too as I like to look for the hidden bits of wisdom/truth that might exist that we could come together on rather than draw lines in the sand.
But I also admit that there comes a time when the endless proselytizing starts to infect my psyche to a point I have to hit the eject button.
Religion is one of those for me.......

6. Start with the assumption that 99.5 percent of the time, it's not about you. And the .5 percent that may be about you doesn't matter.

Back