Rainbow Wedding Marryathon today

nycindie

Rainbow Wedding Marrython today

I just came across this nugget I thought I'd share. Today in NYC, there is a wedding officiant conducting a 10-hour same-sex wedding "marrython." Same-sex couples can show up at Belvedere Castle in Central Park (with advanced registration and their licenses obtained from City Hall) to be married by this one interfaith minister named Reverend Alison, and her co-officiants.

http://www.rainbowweddingclergy.com/New_York__Marrython.php

I hadn't actually heard anything about this event before today, but I've been very out of the loop on what's been happening. Pretty cool, huh?

Last edited:
Oh I wish I couldve been one of the florists making those bouquets for sale!

LOL!

Actually this gay marriage thing is a pet peeve of my gf's, as a transwoman. The culture (gay and liberal straight) seems to think, get gays the right to be married, we're all set. Unfortunately, same sex marriage is not the end of the struggle for queers like us. :(

LOL!

Actually this gay marriage thing is a pet peeve of my gf's, as a transwoman. The culture (gay and liberal straight) seems to think, get gays the right to be married, we're all set. Unfortunately, same sex marriage is not the end of the struggle for queers like us. :(

PLease explain why that is.

Same sex marriage is for gay and lesbian mono couples.

I sometimes feel when you see the LGBTQ tag, the T and Q are added on as an afterthought.

I am not a lesbian or mono. How about if a poly bi person feels the need to marry 2 fiances?

Transpeople-- How accepted and welcome, how safe, what kind of rights do they have? Job security, ability to have an apartment rented to them, reproductive rights? Even public toilets are an issue. Dorm living in college. Shopping for clothes. Forget about prison, should a transperson be arrested.

Matter of fact, once my gf was stopped for briefly driving down a deserted one way street at 2am. The cop was about to let her go with a warningand some flirty chat, until he saw her license said male. She was forced to get out of her car and subjected to arrest and ridicule and made the front page of the local paper as a "transvestite party girl."

What about transpeople's right to have their name and gender changed on government documents? It's different in each state, and some states require full Sexual Reassignment Surgery, which most transpeople can't afford, because they can't get hired at jobs because of transgender discrimination!

Same sex marriage is a nice and needed right for cis-gendered mono couples... It's not the only right queers need to have made into law for a full ability to lead their lives. Some (many) people pushing for gay marriage make it seem so.

I would have strongly preferred seeing a movement to get the state out of marriage period. It's ridiculous that benefits - like health care - are often only available when married. One should have health care because one exists. (Canadian readers, yes, I know - you're already there which is awesome.) I've heard more than one couple - straight and queer - say they married at the time they did only to get one of the couple health care, or to protect each other legally in some way.

I would have preferred a civil union set up for everyone, with religious rites of no legal significance for those who wanted them, and the availability of benefits and responsibilities for a wider variety of people than 2 people, sexually involved, financially intertwined in some way. Gay marriage as it is now is just another step. A big step but just a step. And Mags is right. It does little to address the rights and needs of those folks who do not fit into neat little binaries. I, for one, am going to continue pushing for rights for all.

Here is an interesting wrinkle in the NY Episcopal Church now.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/n/a/2011/07/16/national/a093600D70.DTL

After same-sex marriage becomes legal here on July 24, gay priests with partners in the Episcopal Diocese of Long Island will head to the altar. They have to. Their bishop set a nine-month deadline for them to marry or stop living together.

!!!

So now that same sex marriage is legal in NYS, gay partnered Episcopal priests on LI are *required* to get married. LOL I guess it's fornication now if they are shagging without the state's and "God's" blessing.

While I understand that there are a lot of struggles tied to being transgendered, I have always thought that same sex marriage "fixed" it, as far as being allowed to marry goes. That is, whether you're officially male or female, you can marry the person you love. And in some places, the option means if you go through sex reassignment, you don't have to divorce first. So I always thought it was beneficial to trans people.

Of course that doesn't change the struggles with getting recognised in the first place. But with same sex and opposite sex both allowed, I thought it would mean trans people had less chance of being turned down from marrying.

So I really don't understand the pet peeve, I have to say. Unless the pet peeve is that people think it will solve everything, even things that have nothing to do with marriage. Then I can see it.

So I really don't understand the pet peeve, I have to say. Unless the pet peeve is that people think it will solve everything, even things that have nothing to do with marriage. Then I can see it.

Yes, that's it. The sad fact is, there is prejudice against transpeople amongst the gay and lesbian communities. I've seen it first hand. Many young "dykes" claim transpeople don't exist, or hate penises so would never date a pre-op transwoman (or even a post op one in many cases), or hate femmes for political reasons, so wouldnt date a femme transwoman, etc.

And a gay transman without a cock? Good luck finding a gay guy to date.

And gays/lesbians have actively blocked public restroom protections for transpeople here in Mass...

ETC!

That seems pretty bad :S
I think there is a lot of prejudice against trans people period. I wouldn't know if it's more pronounced in the gay community, but a lot of things you've said apply to straight or bi people too. For instance, I don't think I'm likely to ever be with a trans person. A trans woman because they'll be a woman, a trans man because of the lack of the bits I'm attracted to, and the presence of bits that repel me. I don't wish ether of them any harm as people and I do want them to find someone, but I think attraction is unlikely to happen with a trans woman, or sex with a trans man.

I understand it's hard, but I mean no malice by my lack of attraction, any more than I do by not being attracted to females in general. I do think trans people have a much smaller dating pool, sadly, although some people seem meant for them (I know someone who is attracted to men but not to penises for instance, and is perfectly fine with vaginas) and some don't mind it one way or the other.

Anyway, all of that doesn't change the fact that this discrimination is terrible, especially the toilet stuff. I remember going to school up till high school and we had shared bathrooms. People in houses share bathrooms. Why should they be segregated like that? Why can't we all share the same ones anyways? I don't get it.
And it does seem extremely hard to be recognised officially. It seems we're making progress on that but it's slow.

Back