Favourite animes thread

My GF and I like Fruits Basket a lot. Just the other day we started discussing how "poly" it seemed. The anime is only 13 episodes long, while the manga is much, much longer and is still being added to, I think. I've only seen the series, but based on those episodes, it's a pretty good example of balancing multiple friendships/relationships (and working on understanding yourself and others). I was certainly cheering the V relationship they refused to resolve in the classic romantic comedy love triangle ways.

My first anime was Record of Lodoss War, followed by Ninja Scroll. That was a lifetime ago it seems.

Recently I sat down and watched Afro Samurai and was very pleasantly surprised.

Next up is Samurai 7. I've head it's good, but haven't had a chance to sit down and really watch it.

The first anime I saw was Paranoia Agent and it was weird as fuck.

I see, laugh :)

Evangelion was second though and became my favorite. I am currently enjoying the new Rebuild of Evangelion movie series because it can almost be seen as a sequel as well as a remake if you pay attention to subtle clues.

Cool.

One Piece is about pirates and that's why I love it even if they aren't traditional pirates. If you do watch it dubbed though watch the Funimation version. 4Kids dubbed it back in the '90s and made it more "kid-friendly" which means they ruined it. If you watch it subbed I think there are over 400 episodes and dubbed is up to 200 now.

Ok. Kind of like Bleach; I've watched pretty much all of it, (haven't seen the last episode or 2, I'll get to it soon); the first 200 can be found dubbed, the rest are subbed.

Black Lagoon is about a group of mercenaries.

Ok.

Trigun is hard to explain. It's like a post-apocalyptic futuristic old west anime with a big twist.

Ok. I'm finishing off Rozen Maiden. It is pretty silly, I admit, but I kinda got hooked. Once I'm done that, I'll have to decide what to watch next.

My first anime was Record of Lodoss War, followed by Ninja Scroll. That was a lifetime ago it seems.

Recently I sat down and watched Afro Samurai and was very pleasantly surprised.

Next up is Samurai 7. I've head it's good, but haven't had a chance to sit down and really watch it.

I have yet to see any of those, laugh :). I think I've heard good things of Lodoss and Samurai 7 though.. one of these days :)

FLCL
Elfin Lied
Fruits Basket
Trigun
Fullmetal Alchemist
Studio Ghibli
Inuyasha
Dragon Ball
My Bride is a Mermaid
Trinity Blood

FLCL
Elfin Lied
Fruits Basket
Trigun
Fullmetal Alchemist
Studio Ghibli
Inuyasha
Dragon Ball
My Bride is a Mermaid
Trinity Blood

I watched Elfen Lied recently. The opening song just stuck in my head so long, laugh :). It was awesome but just so sad sometimes.

I love Studio Gibli for sure. I saw part or all of the first episode of Fullmetal Alchemist. Was ok but I wasn't really feeling it. Right now, I'm watching Ergo Proxy, which I think has some similarities to Elfen Lied, minus most of the sexual interactions which I sorely miss :-/.

FLCL
Elfin Lied
Fruits Basket
Trigun
Fullmetal Alchemist
Studio Ghibli
Inuyasha
Dragon Ball
My Bride is a Mermaid
Trinity Blood

If you like My Bride is a Mermaid, you should try Rosario Vampire. It sounds like the same cast and has the sense of humor. It does include a little more T&A:p

Funny tidbit, our four year old is named after an assassin in an anime. The character in question is sweet and innocent looking but dangerous when she gets started. The kiddo is holding up to her namesake. :rolleyes:

Gamerboy likes the more depressing, but amazingly well done kind. Gunslinger Girl, Noir and WitchBlade.
I like the more upbeat colorful ones. Saber Marionette J, (I haven't finished this one yet, I love the semi poly arrangement), Kiddy Grade, BubbleGum Crisis, (the newer version) and Rune Soldier, (which reminds me of D&D).
Right now we are watch Needless, which is ridiculous and amusing. :D

A guy in an anime chat site recommended I take a look at Witchblade, so I started watching it. Just finished episode 15 and glad I took him up on his recommendation :). Incidentally, do you (or anyone else) know where I can locate the song that's starts just as Reina and Shiori prepare to do battle with some Xcons? It's about 20 minutes and 20 seconds into episode 4 (may be in others as well, I just know it's in that spot), which can be seen on funimation's official channel here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=53FkcOpTzKs

I particularly liked the siren like voices near the end of it...

Last edited:
Gurren Lagann is the only one that I have watched all the way through, but it remains my favorite television show of all that I've watched.

Gurren Lagann is the only one that I have watched all the way through, but it remains my favorite television show of all that I've watched.

Never seen that one, but I read the beginning of the story on wikipedia, looks interesting; may see it later :)

It is a little outrageous in parts, especially until you get used to the individual characters and how they interact.

I don't want to talk too much about it and spoil it for you, but the story and the foreshadowing are REALLY well put together. It is subtle and you don't see it the first time through and then the next few times you wonder how you missed it the first time.

It is a little outrageous in parts, especially until you get used to the individual characters and how they interact.

I don't want to talk too much about it and spoil it for you, but the story and the foreshadowing are REALLY well put together. It is subtle and you don't see it the first time through and then the next few times you wonder how you missed it the first time.

Hm, I may just take a look after I finish Witchblade...

Do it. Do it now. Just go with the flow and check your logic at the door and work with their's.

Lol :). I'm kind of a stickler for finishing one series before starting another though. Unless the series is super long like Bleach, but I did finally finish that one anyway, heh :). But after Witchblade, may just do that.

Bah, you're making me want to watch it again. I am a person who rarely re-reads or re-watches things. I've seen Gurren Lagann all the way through 7-8 times now. One of my tattoos is going to be from that show.

At the risk of sounding like a total geek, I love that show to death.

Bah, you're making me want to watch it again. I am a person who rarely re-reads or re-watches things. I've seen Gurren Lagann all the way through 7-8 times now. One of my tattoos is going to be from that show.

At the risk of sounding like a total geek, I love that show to death.

Makes two of us. I am considering getting the Team Dai-Gurren logo tattooed somewhere. Both as a fan of the show and for the philosophy it stands for.

I want a core drill on my chest, potentially with the words in Japanese for the "Who the hell do you think I am?" or the "Reject common sense to make the impossible possible!"

Well, I finished Witchblade the other day (I really really liked it, especially some of the musical pieces, like this one), so I decided to see the first episode of Gurren Lagan. It's ok, but I often think that first episodes are just ok.. I tend to get into them the further in I go, so I'll let you know what I think of it further in :).

Back