DIY Hair?

FireChild

How many of us do our own hair? (As far as trims/coloring/maintenance for those of us with dreadlocks...not basic everyday hygiene.)

I am researching to bleach my hair and then dye it purple. (I'm...like super stoked.)

I do the basics on my wifes hair, dye etc...She gets it professionally cut.

I do my own hair completely...easy when all you need is clippers though :p

I do my own color - have for a long time now. Right now, I exclusively use henna. I do a mix to get a deep red/auburn and I couldn't be happier with it.

As for cuts, I did when I had bangs/fringe. But I'm too much of a spaz otherwise, so I have a good friend who is a hair stylist that does my cuts.

I do my own hair; my husband helps shave it where I can't see, and I use bleach and Manic Panic for colors.

I maintain my bangs, and every so often go to the salon for a trim. And when I color, I DIY.

Last edited:
I've been doing my own hair since I was about 14. I've had a few professional cuts when I was working in an office, but other than that it's been pretty punky.

Right now I've got a sweet mohawk that garners me some great compliments. I love it when people ask, "Where do you get your hair done?" and I answer, "In my bathroom."

I've never had my hair professionally dyed, it's stupid expensive and I don't see the point when it's so easy to do at home. I've used both Manic Panic when I wanted unnatural colours, and DIY boxed dye for the normal colours. Since I have so little hair, I usually divide a box into about 5 sessions. It's like a little chemistry lab in my bathroom, weighing out the powders and measuring the creams, to keep all the ratios the same.

My step-daughter always complains about how she never has money to go out. Then she goes to the salon and spends $100 on cut & dye every month!

I like to cut my own hair. I also cut other people's hair. I used to dye my hair, but now I get it dyed professionally.

Anyway, I've done the bleach + color thing before (red, purple, variations on that theme). It's pretty straight-forward, but especially if you have dark hair naturally, those bleach products you buy at the store will really damage it. Mine felt like plastic. If I were going that route again, I'd get the bleaching done professionally by a stylist I trusted and do the rest myself. Big difference in price, but it would be worth it to me because the bleached hair doesn't recover; you just have to wait for it to grow out.

So I bleachd it and dyed it purple. My hubs is....not thrilled. He's MAD it's purple. But he'll live. If I had to go back I'd have it professionally bleached Shades. The back is...uneven. Well most of it was but overall it ended up not being an issue. (I dyed it purple and some of it got lifted to like a red because it didn't get enough bleach. Red enhances purple.)

I'm happy with it but a lot of my locks came undone. Oh well. Redo the twists and keep it truckin'.

if you have dark hair naturally, those bleach products you buy at the store will really damage it. Mine felt like plastic. If I were going that route again, I'd get the bleaching done professionally by a stylist I trusted and do the rest myself. Big difference in price, but it would be worth it to me because the bleached hair doesn't recover; you just have to wait for it to grow out.

Yeah, I've had some pretty fried hair...

The neat thing I always found with Manic Panic was that it made wicked conditioner. The bleach would strip it, then I would refrain from using the bleach-enclosed conditioning creme, so that the hair would be like a big colour-sponge. And with most of the colours, after a couple applications, my hair came out feeling more-or-less normal.

I don't think the professional bleaches themselves are any less harmful, it's all peroxide-based. I think they just have better quality conditioners and oils to repair the damage with afterwards.

I've also found the same damaging effects with any permanent DIY hair colour: red, black, blonde... it didn't matter. The black surprised me, since it shouldn't have been taking anything out of my hair, but the dye has to break down the hair somewhat in order to stick?

I do my own bangs & along the sides. I've never dyed it (unless you count the sun bleaching it as a child/teen) although I have been considering getting some copper highlights or something. Unsure what as yet.

I go back and forth between diy and professional. I love the look of professional.

Right now my hair is grown out from a professional cut... i have a box of dye in my bedroom waiting to be used...

I need a cut - but will wait... cause I'd really like to get it professionally done :)

I get my hair cut by pros, either in a salon, or by friends at home (that are licensed). I use DIY colors, but get someone else to apply it for me, so that it is done evenly and completely.

Back