Poly Pregnancy

Atri

I began thinking about the role of polyamorous partners in childbearing because one of my close friends recently just had a child of her own. Listening to her and her partner talk about the intimacy of giving birth, from holding her in different positions during labor, to both of them laying in bed bare chested together with the baby between them, I became really curious about how to share the intimacy of child birth between multiple partners.

My partner and her boyfriend are no more interested in having children at the moment than they are jumping off a cliff, but I'm wondering if there are any other poly people out there who have dealt with pregnancy in a multiple partner situation.

How does it feel to be the non-genetically involved partner during the child planning process? Do you feel like you have full parental rights over the child? What role is acceptable for the non-biologically committed partner to play in supporting pregnancy (attending classes, ultrasounds, etc.)? How do you share the intimacy of bonding with a newborn without leaving anyone out?

I know a lot of these boundaries need to be negotiated in different situations, I'm just interested in hearing all the experiences this community has had.

I suggest doing a tag search for "children" "kids" or anything else that might be of interest. There are several threads where people talk about their experiences.

Back