Why do you use the online name that you use?

Like Gray said, my name is a little bit of a nod to Johnny Cash.

However! Back in high school, I wore a lot of black because I was insecure and it helped me kind of blend in to the background. Most people didn't even know my name, so I got "that guy in the black" a lot.

It got to a point where I decided to just own it and roll with it and I've been "ThatGuyInBlack" for a good long while, now.

well those are both good names, or handles they used to call them. Girl in Gray and Guy in Black. my live in won't use computers when she's off work so doesn't have a handle. oh well, that's the name of that tune. :)

I'm Gray's husband, and I went with monochrome for three reasons. First, like Gray said, I want a different handle from what I usually use. Second, I'm monogamous, thus the "mono" part. And third, I thought monochrome was a good way to riff on ThatGirlInGray and ThatGuyInBlack's monochromatic references.

I'm Gray's husband, and I went with monochrome for three reasons. First, like Gray said, I want a different handle from what I usually use. Second, I'm monogamous, thus the "mono" part. And third, I thought monochrome was a good way to riff on ThatGirlInGray and ThatGuyInBlack's monochromatic references.

omigawd, I adore you peoples. You're just so cute! All y'all. :D

Also, he's a Transformer. Don't let him fool you.

When I first got on the net, many many moons ago, I started out with my initials (CJM), I was working at a hotel on the Outer Banks of North Carolina (OBXNC), so I put them all together and came up with my name. It's unique, isn't it?

I love skiing! One day I was out skiing and listing to music. My telemark skiing was just coming together that day for the first time. I was having a great time and I felt like I was dancing on the snow!

What's in a name?

When joining this forum I wanted to pick a name that was completely unrelated to any of my other internet pseudonyms (which tend to be variations on a theme and some of which can be linked to my legal name - if someone is trying hard enough). In the early days of the web I used the same names everywhere and, with the advent of Google, had to go around and rename myself in various places to obfuscate things a bit.

I prefer pseudonyms that sound like they could be a given name - so I was looking for a "unique generic" name. A moment of brainstorming:
Jane Doe - John Q. Public - Smith as the commonest last name in the US
...swirl them together and tweak the spelling = JaneQSmythe

It amuses me to refer to us as MrS and MrsS (traditional honorifics and shared last name) in this "alternative relationships" forum since in the flesh-and-blood world I did NOT change my name when we married and use my professional honorific if one is required.

Last edited:
I'm a nerd who believes that people should be proud of their nerdiness so I took the "White Power" or "Black Power" idea and came up with Nerd Power signifying that I believe the nerds should band together and fight back against the oppression we have suffered for so long.

My name Lady Niah is actually my character in a friend's comic book. He's making it into an internet comic. Super-duper nerdy :p But I love it.

I'm a nerd who believes that people should be proud of their nerdiness so I took the "White Power" or "Black Power" idea and came up with Nerd Power signifying that I believe the nerds should band together and fight back against the oppression we have suffered for so long.

As long as you promise not to go jock-lynching, count me in. The nerds shall inherit the earth :D Maybe we should look into forming alliances with the geeks and dorks too. hoorah!

I picked mine because I was brainstorming for poly.fm when I came across this site, so I just registered as the name. I was originally going to just ask the admins what they thought of the idea but got sucked into the conversation, gladly :).

As long as you promise not to go jock-lynching, count me in. The nerds shall inherit the earth Maybe we should look into forming alliances with the geeks and dorks too. hoorah!

Only the ones who fuck with us first :p And in my mind geeks and dorks are just sub-categories of nerds.

I was on a jury, and Sixta was the first name of one of the witnesses. She was practically 100 years old... but the name reminded me of a Bad Ass B*tch! lol. So i adopted it ;)

My OKC profile is too old sounding and a bit long. Plus the other name I use online is too far linked with my personal life, and for now it's easier to use something generic. I am an artsy kind, and love shiny objects, so Glitter was perfect for me ;)

My first name is most commonly shortened to "Em". The board required more than two letters in my username.

Back