Movies: That would have been better with a poly ending.

Scott Pilgrim vs the World.
On the blu-ray, there's a "alternative ending" where he chose the other girl instead. I thought "well why not try to get both?" LOL :cool:
(Though to be fair, his roomie had true poly adventures, as seen in the bed scene. :D )

I don't know if you've read the book series (Twilight) - but the way it finishes... not a good idea :p

though - maybe until that twist kisks in :D definitely

Yes I have unfortunatly read the whole series (I read everything my kids read:eek:) and until that twist kicks in it would have worked and been a very interesting relationship indeed.

Ha. I've just recently read Mists of Avalon. The Arthurian Legend would certainly be a VERY different story with an explicitly polyamorous plot twist. I remember watching Excalibur dozens of times in my teens, but I don't really remember the particulars about the film anymore.

(edit: I just YouTubed a bit of it. Fun times.)

I read that book too, and I think a polyamorus relationship was vaguely hinted at, even in other accounts of the story.

This is the way I would have written it. Guinevere loves both men and King Aurthur is actually gay and loves Sir Lancelot more than the woman, who is really just a good friend. He is more of a father figure to her. Lancelot develops a deep love for both the King and Guinevere. This triangle is complicated and dramatic because there is jealousy involved and secrecy.

For a happy ending Lancelot impregnates Guinevere and they pretend the son is the offspring of the King. He inherits the crown and becomes a flaming gay King in tights and redecorates the palace. :D

Scott Pilgrim vs the World.
On the blu-ray, there's a "alternative ending" where he chose the other girl instead. I thought "well why not try to get both?" LOL :cool:
(Though to be fair, his roomie had true poly adventures, as seen in the bed scene. :D )
You know I watched that with my previous partner and was thinking the same thing at that point. I think that film may have been on of the little kicks to get me closer into polyamory now I think about it.

I thank thee, Scott Pilgrim. =P

I read that book too, and I think a polyamorus relationship was vaguely hinted at, even in other accounts of the story.

This is the way I would have written it. Guinevere loves both men and King Aurthur is actually gay and loves Sir Lancelot more than the woman, who is really just a good friend. He is more of a father figure to her. Lancelot develops a deep love for both the King and Guinevere. This triangle is complicated and dramatic because there is jealousy involved and secrecy.

For a happy ending Lancelot impregnates Guinevere and they pretend the son is the offspring of the King. He inherits the crown and becomes a flaming gay King in tights and redecorates the palace. :D

LMAO - that is awesome :D

I remember the version i first read of the Arthurian legend actually had Guinevere, Lancelot and Arthur in a poly style configuration. Arthur deferred to Guinevere's love and need for Lancelot (though she continued to sleep and (I assume) have 'relations' with Arthur). The situation was discovered by Arthurs illegitimate son and because of the laws of the nation Arthur was forced to sentence Guinevere to death for 'high treason' and banish Lancelot from the realm. Lancelot rescued Guinevere from the flames and she was sent to a convent to live out her remaining days, Lancelot then aquiesced to his banishment... and Arthurs downfall proceeded. (extremely basic synopsis of plot)

Unfortunately I do not remember the title nor the author. If anyone else has read this version and does remember - could they let me know? as I would like to get a copy again.

no strings attached?

how about the new movie coming out, No Strings Attached? it seems like they are using a spur of the moment open relationship to leat to "bigger and better things" how about just keeping it how it is in the beginning?

Movies that could of had a poly ending, or at least offer an alternative other than the mono norm.

Hall pass
The Freebie
Up in the air

Is it fine to add TV shows in the mix?

A lot of manga, and their adaptations, have love triangles. I've been watching the Korean version of Boys Before Flowers on Hulu (I've seen the Japanese one already) and keep thinking polyamory would help so much! There is an obvious N in the story.

I've also been watching flashforward, and I don't know how it ends, but I doubt that is does with the poly vee I have been rooting for from the start of the show.

For one, this is a great thread idea. Really, hats off.

My nomination is The Kids Are Alright. Why can't Mark Ruffalo and Julianne Moore and Annette Bening all live in one big happy poly family? Frustrates me.

My nomination is The Kids Are Alright. Why can't Mark Ruffalo and Julianne Moore and Annette Bening all live in one big happy poly family? Frustrates me.

Gets my vote, as well. I HATED the ending of that movie :( Annette Bening's character could have really worked through her issues, and Julianne Moore's character could have actually LOVED Mark Ruffalo's, instead of just dropping him, and the kids didn't have to turn on him, too! He was having a positive influence on them... I just thought it was close-minded and sucky.

. . . The Kids Are Alright. Why can't Mark Ruffalo and Julianne Moore and Annette Bening all live in one big happy poly family?

Oh, that would've been totally hot, too!

But I hated that Moore's character cheated. It happened too suddenly, and didn't make sense because her character wasn't developed fully enough at that point. It would have been much more steamy if their tension-filled interactions had been building slowly to an inevitable climax involving all three of them.

I hated how it ended too. Lots of screenwriters I know consider that script to be extremely flawed.

For one, this is a great thread idea. Really, hats off.

THANK you. I looked through all the pages to make sure somebody else said it, because I knew I couldn't be the only one who felt this way. Great choice.

I thought one of the stories in "Love actually" could have used a lil' Poly, but I can't be troubled to look into who the actors are. The guy who gets married, the girl, and his friend....the photographer. Them.

Don't know if this counts or not, but Season 2, Episode 4 of "Party Down" had a great ending. I won't spoil it, but if you liked "The State", then you should really be watching this show. :)

Manhatten by Woody Allen

You know, a lot of Woody Allen movies should have had poly in them..(also, if you have never seen this movie and run out to watch it please keep in mind that it was made like thirty years ago and Muriel Hemmingways character is a "little young" by todays social standards - but please don't get hung up on that and try and view her as I do which is a metaphore for Woody's characters "neverland".)
anyway, in Manhatten he has two love interests in the movie and each fulfill him in different ways but he is trying to figure out which one "completes him the best" but maybe had there been a poly ending then he would have found that each of them complimented and completed him in different ways and without one of them around he was incapable of being the "complete" self he sought.

Casablanca. But it practically had a poly ending anyhow, except that they weren't able to all be together due to practical complications.

I was curious if it's alright to add a show as well to one that I would pick is Vampire diaries even though katheriene was a douche when it came to dating them both. Elena and the brothers would have way better communication with each other than katheriene did with them. that show opened my eyes to polyamory which they kind of had on the show but then it went poof. :(

A movie that could have seriously had polyamory was unfaithful with Richard Gere, Oliver martinez and Diane lane they both had such a fiery passion for her and also at the same time they brought out different sides in her. It would have been way better then how it actually ended with Richard Gere killing Oliver Martinez worst ending ever.

Last edited:
A movie that could have seriously had polyamory was unfaithful with Richard Gere, Oliver martinez and Diane lane they both had such a fiery passion for her and also at the same time brought at different sides in her. It would have been way better then how it actually ended with Richard Gere killing Oliver Martinez worst ending ever.

I loved the ending, which wasn't the lover being killed, but open-ended with them in the car deciding whether to go to the police. I always appreciate endings that leave the audience to discuss and decide what happens. It made you think.

I loved that movie. Went to the premiere in NYC (yes, walked down a red carpet - fun!) and stood next to Gere in the lobby afterwards. He's short! Oh, but extremely handsome in person, hubba hubba. I was too shy to say hello. Anyway, I thought that the way they had his character kill her lover was very well-done. That moment was electrifying, I thought. It wasn't pre-meditated; it was a gut reaction, and I became nauseous with him. It showed how good people can lose control and do bad things. Which is also what she was doing by cheating. The brilliant part of that film (and there were many) was where, near the end, in flashback, they show how a cab had come by when she first met the French guy, and that she made a conscious choice -- she wasn't just going along with something out of her control as they portrayed it before that point. Lane was amazing in that film -- omigawd, the scene on the train!!!

Yes, it could have incorporated poly, but it would have changed the whole point of it, which was examining cheating and dishonesty and the lies we tell ourselves and each other. Plus, in the end, you could see they were on the way to healing their relationship. Well, I guess it could've still showed all that and included poly, but it certainly wouldn't have had the impact that it did in looking at those issues. One of my favorite films!

Last edited:
the first couple of x-men movies would have been much better with a poly relationship, wolverine, cyclops and jean. i'm not a fan of cyclops personally but jean could have had the boy next door type and a bad boy:D

mind you that the movies could have been a lot better in general, the characters were so underdeveloped.

Back