Weight loss support

KatTails

I know I am not the only person on here who needs to lose a few pounds (ok - I have more than a few pounds to lose :eek:) so I thought this would be a great place for us to come together for help, support and encouragement.

Please feel free to share your goals, successes and set backs as well as offering support, encouragement and motivation.

I'll start:

I am 5 feet 8 1/2 inches tall and fluctuate between 260 and 270 pounds. Ideally I have 75-100 pounds to lose - but realistically, I'd be ecstatic if I could lose 25-30 pounds.

I am an emotional eater and use food, especially ice cream and chocolate, to self soothe and reward a bad day (which I've been having a lot of lately.) I am hoping to get on new medication for depression and anxiety (and maybe ADD) and I'm hoping that it will also help with my weight loss and over eating issues.

I don't normally exercise - but when I do, I like to walk, ride bikes and play Wii Just Dance and Wii Fit.

****My goal this week will be to walk 15 minutes a day or do 15 minutes a day on the Wii.****

I hope that you guys join me!!

:) Kat :)

YEAH! :)

Give it a day or two, you'll have some more people on here too!

I cleaned out the freezer today (8ft chest freezer).. PAIN IN THE ASS. But it did work out my arms.

I don't know yet what tomorrow's goal will be... But, I'll let ya know!
:)

I`m in !

I had a rough winter, with some physical injuries. I don`t like how soft and squishy I feel. I want to lose 20 lbs.

I don`t need to eat less, I need to eat more according to my doctor. I get busy, don`t eat enough, and I`m not eating nutrient-dense foods like I normally do. 'Stress' of injury and what-not, causes my body to hold on to reserves.

So I would like to get back to the food habits I know serve me best. :) Start running again, and if my knees can`t handle riding, and running, then I`ll ride and bike instead.

I like dancing, and do the Wii-fit stuff when its yucky weather.

:D I walked for 20 minutes at school this morning! Daily goal accomplished - yea me!!! :D Now that I'm sitting here after walking - I can feel the muscles in my legs twitching - I think they are revolting against me since they're not used to the workout. :)

Note to self: bring an extra deodorant to work. :eek: I stood outside in the cool morning air to cool off so I'm good for today.

I also skipped my morning Venti Starbucks - so I saved 350 calories and 10 grams of fat. :)

Today's Goal: I'm planning on doing Wii Just Dance tonight with my daughter - I'm going to try to do it 20-30 min.

I cleaned out the freezer today (8ft chest freezer).. PAIN IN THE ASS. But it did work out my arms.

That counts!

I don't know yet what tomorrow's goal will be... But, I'll let ya know!
:)

Please do! :)

I don`t need to eat less, I need to eat more according to my doctor. I get busy, don`t eat enough, and I`m not eating nutrient-dense foods like I normally do. 'Stress' of injury and what-not, causes my body to hold on to reserves.

So I would like to get back to the food habits I know serve me best. :) Start running again, and if my knees can`t handle riding, and running, then I`ll ride and bike instead.

I like dancing, and do the Wii-fit stuff when its yucky weather.

You can do it!!!

My food habits are horrible! I'm trying to be more conscious of what I eat - but then the emotional eating and my negative voice that says "I don't care if this is bad for me - I deserve it" kicks in and all good intentions are gone. I wish I had an off/on switch for those voices in my head.

Last edited:
Throwing ring in too

I've not been happy with my fitness level and weight for a long time. So this online support thing might be very helpful.

I am 5'1 and weight about 230. Ideally I want to be around 130 to 150 pounds. However, if I think about losing that much, I give up. So I will try to be healthier in general and focus on losing a few pounds, over and over.

My goal for Monday is to make an appointment at my workplace gym. It's free and I'm totally embarrassed I haven't taken advantage of it.

I'm 5'3" and 240lb, the heaviest I have ever been. About 6 years ago, I was 236 and then managed to loose 60lbs and kept it off for about 2 1/2 yrs but it has been coming back ever since and now I'm back to where I started from :mad:

I have never been "thin", I was 150 almost all through high school and then dropped to 136 the summer after graduation (I was figure skating every day). Everything came back after I got engaged and then married and has been going up ever since - OK, it's all my husbands fault :p

Goals:
Lose 5+lbs a month (like last time)
Walk 4 days a week (get back upto 3 miles)
Create healthier eating habits for my whole family

Might I offer a suggestion or two?

I want to be supportive-I don't have any weight to lose NOW, but I am all squishy and need to rebuild muscle because of the years of being unable to use them.

But, having already lost 66+lbs, I know a few tricks that helped me.

The first was having people to be "accountable to" which we have here.
It's not about saying to each other "hey, you didn't meet the goal today". Our own minds do that plenty. BUT-then we get so disappointed in ourselves and our depression increases, it seems hopeless so we go sit on our butts and mope.

The goal is to stay positive with each other, encourage each other to be happy with ourselves for what we DO accomplish-because we tend to overlook the little accomplishments we make.

The second thing that changed my whole world was picking ONE dietary thing at a time to change.

It's so easy to list the many things we need to correct. But, we need to get one and stick with it for a month or so, make it a habit before we try to add a second.

The first thing I did was buy a nice waterbottle JUST FOR ME. No one else gets to use it. I committed to filling it at least twice a day with water and drinking it. (that is 40 oz of water).

First think each morning-I fill it with water (at the beginning I often used a water flavor packet too, cause the water was so dull).

So-my suggestion is, in addtion to agreeing to support each other here.... how about committing to drinking 40+ ounces of water a day?

FYI-I'm getting ready to head out, I'm taking the kids and we're going to go walk the coastal trails with Maca. There's a park at one end, let them play for a bit and walk back. ;)

The doctor recently gave us a stern warning that we needed to change what we were doing NOW. Many of our health issues are under control. Others have been highly variable--and she said we have to get those under control now or we were likely to have more serious issues in the near future.

I've made a few changes to my diet over the past several years at the urging of doctors. She ordered some radical changes. I think making the radical change is actually helping the process, as I'm forced to seriously spend time learning new ways of planning meals instead of just being able to slightly alter things here and there.

One of the things she was adamant about is that we have to drop weight. Instead of trying to figure out some fancy-schmancy diet the relies on generating ketosis or some other nonsense, I boiled things down to the basics.

Body weight relies on an energy balance. Calories in vs calories out. That's it. Whether those calories come from all marshmallows or meat, if I eat more calories than I burn in a day, I gain weight; if I burn more calories than I eat, I lose weight. Choosing what to eat, then, becomes all about proper nutrition and not about weight at all.

Lap band procedures are all about energy balance. The bands limit the size of the stomach so fewer calories are consumed. That's it. I found it amusing that one of the major problems with lap bands is that people eat too much food at one time and that causes problems. Ya know, I can eat smaller portions in the same fashion and yet not have any problems should I eat too much at a meal.

So there's really no need for a lap band. If you can eat small portions to avoid problems with the band, you can eat small portions without the band.

The remaining problem is to feel satisfied with the smaller portions. I've found that fiber and protein provide the feeling of fullness and satiation that keeps me from wanting to eat more "because I didn't get full." The fiber more so than the protein.

So, I use metamucil prior to a couple of meals each day to jumpstart the feeling of being sated. Then I make certain I get some protein for my tummy to work on and fill out the meal with fruit or veggies.

This has been working for me. I've lost over 25 pounds since the end of January without feeling like I'm neglecting myself. It's been enjoyable, even.

I can join in the fun. I have about 20 pounds I want to cut down. From 270 to 250. Any smaller and I look too "off"...

I have lost 14 pounds since I stopped drinking down to my current of 270. I walk daily, I don't eat amazingly well, but I get my veggies and stuff.

Biking season is starting and its going to be time for me to be throwing myself down cliff faces soon, so I need to get to my sporting weight so when I land I don't break in two

Emotional eater checking in!

I am joining in this thread for accountability.

I joined Jenny Craig about two months before my husband told me he wanted a divorce. My goal is to lose 75-85 lbs. It has been a bumpy ride trying to stick with it. I eventually lost 24 lbs, but hit a plateau when things got really rough (when I realized deep down that there was no reconciliation on the horizon, I think), and I was drinking a little bit too much, and managing some adverse affects from the anti-depressants I was on. I became more depressed and started eating to console myself again. I gained back 10.

I love going to talk with my JC counselor, she's so cool. She has many times shut the door to her office so I could cry in there during our sessions. She told me that "food is the one thing you can control in your life," and to focus on that in order to feel successful. With my renewed efforts I'm back down to the "22 lbs. gone" mark, and have roughly 55-60 more to go.

The biggest problem I seem to have is sticking to the JC food. It's great food, quite delicious in fact, but the portions are so much smaller than what I would want when I'm avoiding difficult feelings -- I usually turn to outside food and pig out to dull the pain, I guess. I also have not been diligent with supplementing the packaged JC food with salads, veggies, fruit, and dairy, which I'm supposed to do. Finally, I am guilty of not drinking enough water throughout the day. I know that whenever I've made an effort to drink water frequently, the pounds seem to drop away.

So here're my goals for the week:
Stick to the JC food; add the fresh veggies, fruits, etc,. that I'm supposed to; and drink at least two of my large bottles of water each day.

I am so sick of trying to lose weight, it's like the problem has been with me since I was 10 years old. It hasn't helped of course that my sister is a string bean and I was always the "shortish curvy" one. Oh for a society where average height and curves are fully appreciated.

Giving up alcohol hasn't helped me in the least, I just comfort eat now instead of drink. And with the steps at AA all one's issues are presented so that comfort is definitely the order of the day.

Mrs craig has been successful in the past but you can't do it forever and when I start coming off the food i start the regaining process.

How did you manage to lose so much weight LR? Give us the lowdown on your slimdown, please.

I walked for 30 minutes in the park (in the rain!) and now I'm helping move my MIL into her apartment - so getting a lot more walking in and some weight training! :)

I was going to go to a fantastic bakery this morning that is only open Saturday mornings - but was guilted out of it. It was the right decision - but their cake is to die for!! :eek:

I did lots this weekend !

Rode a bunch of horses, which usually gets me back in shape rather quickly,.Here is hoping. Also,..for my upcoming birthday, I received a new Wii game, that sure has me sweating good. Since I am noticing addiction patterns towards this game already, I think it will become part of my regular work-out.

I am very sore today.

Update

Contacted my work fitness center and have been put into the 'in' box of the person who schedules the fitness testing/exercise plan appointments. So yay! One thing down.

I did lots this weekend !

Rode a bunch of horses, which usually gets me back in shape rather quickly,.Here is hoping. Also,..for my upcoming birthday, I received a new Wii game, that sure has me sweating good. Since I am noticing addiction patterns towards this game already, I think it will become part of my regular work-out.

I am very sore today.

I'm sooooo jealous! I absolutely LOVE riding horses! What are some of your favorite Wii games?

Contacted my work fitness center and have been put into the 'in' box of the person who schedules the fitness testing/exercise plan appointments. So yay! One thing down.

Yea! Great first step opal!!

This fat 40 1/2 year old just beat a skinny 12 1/2 year old at Wii Just Dance! What a fun workout! We were laughing so hard!! :) Woot woot!!

How did you manage to lose so much weight LR? Give us the lowdown on your slimdown, please.

Sage-
It really is simple.

It is NOT easy-but it is simple...

1. I gave up all soda and fastfood. No matter what.

2. I forced myself to drink the water every day (it SUCKED ASS).

3. After 30 days of doing the water I added walking-every day. At first I just went to the end of the block & back. Then kept increasing my distance. I gave myself "deadlines" such as needing to be somewhere by a specific time that was 2 miles away-only leaving with 30 minutes to get there. That forced me to walk at a 15 minute mile in order to get there. I'd push myself to try to "beat my time". I increased my distance to 10 miles after a year and a half. I lowered my time to roughly 12 minutes per mile in the same time frame.

4. I gave up dairy for 1 year. (THAT is a BITCH by the way-but it's AMAZING how much that one single thing helped. I lost the most weight by doing that).

5. I added small weight lifting (5-8lbs) for arms, because it builds muscle. Muscle weighs more than fat, but it burns more calories too.

KT, SG, Opal, Ari,

GREAT JOB!!!

Every little bit helps. :)

You can all manage this. :)

I have great faith in all of you to accomplish the goals you've set for yourselves!!!

It's so nice to read happy things on here! I needed that today.

I did my walk the other day. Going to take the little one for a "jog" tonight. ;)

Back