Music!

redsirenn

There must be some musicians on this site? Or even some great talk of music and some analysis of music in cultures, trends in society, or even what rocks our socks off??

Personally I identify as a solid all time lover of rock and roll. I am not that old, but Pink Floyd is a classic band that has inspired and influenced my life in so many ways it is just creepy. Although I definitely listen to jazz, blues, world music, and some folk as well...

I love PJ Harvey, Pink Floyd, David Bowie, Feist, Tori Amos, Tool, Red Hot Chili Peppers, System of a Down, The Cure, Yes, Bob Dylan, Led Zeppelin, Rage Against the Machine, Black Sabbath... and the list goes on... and on... and on...

And I have played keys since I was 7... now I sing more than play, and love drum circles where I can learn new afro-rhythms on my djembe. :cool:

I also love music!

I own a really nice accoustic steel string guitar, which needs a lot more attention for me to learn it. Being a beginner at 43 isn't the happiest of situations. But I should practice, and also the Djembe and the Doumbek, of which I have the former though not yet the latter.

As for what I like to listen to?... I have a very diverse interest. I love "world" and esp. African music. ... and the traditional and traditionally inspired musics of all the world. I like pop and rock and pop rock and blues and jazz.... I do NOT like most of opera and country music -- though I do like some blugrass!

I'm a huge Talking Heads fan, Van Morrison fan, Pink Floyd fan... and maybe I'll list some others at a later time, as there are SO many!

When I was in grade five, I was actually told to hold my recorder to my mouth but under no circumstances was I to blow in it! How's that for nurturing an desire to learn music:(

I almost completed a degree in music education before I decided not to teach. I now help run an all-ages drum & bugle corps--I write the music, arrange the shows, am currently the drum major and percussion caption head. I also hand drum for bellydancers.

Yeah, I do some music!

That's gross malfeasance in music education. Quite sad.

I love music, all types! But I am sadly un-talented when it comes to playing instruments or even singing :)

Another music lover... but all I can play is the radio.

I like most music. Not so much country and heavy metal or rap crap... blah... but most other things.
I enjoy classical after studying it in gr. 12 as well as pop, rock, musicals and others.

I am a bit of a singer. I used to perform in coffee shops at my high school and was always in the choir and often had solos with the choir behind me. Also I sang in music festivals and such.
I'm very modest and don't really think I'm all that good, but others tell me I am, so I take their word. lol. I suppose that's better than someone thinking they're great and actually sounding horrible...
I would have loved to learn to play the piano or guitar as a child. I struggled with the theory of music when I started taking that at age 17. Just never clicked.

Redpepper sings in a choir. I go to see her whenever I can. She blows me away everytime :)

I am a musical person...kinda. I know how to play piano, keyboards (xylophone etc.), spatterings of percussion, oboe and violin although I'm not sure if I can recall much violin as that was 4th grade. The instruments I know how to play I don't play very well as I never get to practice, but it usually starts coming back when I do get the chance.

I avoid singing in public unless it's a group thing...fun song on radio and everyone joins in so nobody is really heard. I honestly don't know if I sing well or not. I've only had one person tell me that I couldn't sing and she had ulterior motives. I can't really trust family and friends and they either don't want to hurt my feelings or are completely tone deaf. ;)

I like most music although I'm not a big fan of "gangsta rap" but I don't mind 80's/90's rap, the more happy fun stuff. I love country, symphonic metal, heavy metal, most pop, rock, etc. I was recently introduced to Within Temptation, a Danish Symphonic Metal band and they are amazing! My favorite though has to be Nightwish, another Symphonic Metal band but they are Finnish.

I love music. I genearally Listen to whatever catches my ear or my mood at the time. Music is very important to me. Marks important moments in my life. I generally dont like heavy rock.. Im Not a HUGE fan of Country either..and i do enjoy classical music on occasion.

I tinkle with the piano...I can play a little tiny bit... I sing but probably shouldnt. lol

I've often said I wish my life had a soundtrack. Even the bad times woud be easier and more entertaining.

I like most music except country (though some is alright) and the new rap (after the 90s as Vandalin said). I often discover I'm singing to myself in public after I get several funny looks. My voice isn't bad but I wouldn't get up on stage.

I can play recorder and some keyboard but have no real musical talent. It was just something I never got around to learning. Does dating singers/lead guitarists count for anything? lol

Music - Like a Breath of Air

Ah music ... most can't live without it and I can say that I fall into that category.

Been writing and singing since teen days. Play 12string 6string Guitar and the Mandolin. These days my tastes include Celtic - Tempest, Molly's Revenge, Ken O'Malley to name a few. In decades past there was heavy influence from James Taylor, Harry Chapin, Jethro Tull, and Moody Blues.

First Band was the Iowa Garage Band "Cannabis Cummings and His Burnt-out Buddies"

So the circle turns but where would we be with out the music?

Just Me,
Tim

*jumps up and down* Oo! oo! im a musician! I play guitar :D i win!

Haha but seriously, ive been playing for about a year (not hardcore but teaching myself when i get time) i love to play, ive got 3 guitars as of now. My B.C. Rich warlock revenge series electric, my washburn acoustic, and my oscar schmidt washburn acoustic. My schmidt needs a bit of work on it yet, ive gotta get stopers for the string holes. My other washburn needs a knew g tuner because for some odd reason it stripped itself -_-

Guitar has always been a way for me to express myself and let out frustration. I love to just look up a song that has a great rythmic tone to it. I was learning to play "My land" by Sonata Arctica until my Gstring broke on my electric (noticing a pattern with the g, eh)

Last edited:
awesome.

I am at my parents home now visiting and get to play the old upright piano I had as a child. MAN that brings me back. I forgot how much I love to play it!!

First Band was the Iowa Garage Band "Cannabis Cummings and His Burnt-out Buddies"

Where at in Iowa? I hail from the backwater known as Oskaloosa.

I am a musical person...kinda. I know how to play piano, keyboards (xylophone etc.), spatterings of percussion, oboe and violin although I'm not sure if I can recall much violin as that was 4th grade. The instruments I know how to play I don't play very well as I never get to practice, but it usually starts coming back when I do get the chance.

As I mentioned before, I almost completed a degree in music. To add more detail to that, I'm a trained percussionist. I picked up woodwinds and brasswinds in pedagogy classes. The menagerie of instruments we have here includes a marching snare drum, a marching bass drum, a shell kit (drum set), a few darbukas, several defs, a couple of riqs, a hammered dulcimer (we're trying to sell it), a harp, an electronic keyboard, an acoustic-electric bass guitar, a bamboo flute, soprano and alto recorders, finger cymbals and other miscellaneous percussion, a marching baritone bugle, and likely something I'm forgetting.

Anybody else find that they are merely servants to their instruments?

Curly sings. The place she works has a company choir and they perform a handful of times each year. Should we ever try to work up an act and take it on the road, she'll be doing the singing while I make lots of noise.

As I mentioned before, I almost completed a degree in music. To add more detail to that, I'm a trained percussionist. I picked up woodwinds and brasswinds in pedagogy classes. The menagerie of instruments we have here includes a marching snare drum, a marching bass drum, a shell kit (drum set), a few darbukas, several defs, a couple of riqs, a hammered dulcimer (we're trying to sell it), a harp, an electronic keyboard, an acoustic-electric bass guitar, a bamboo flute, soprano and alto recorders, finger cymbals and other miscellaneous percussion, a marching baritone bugle, and likely something I'm forgetting.

Anybody else find that they are merely servants to their instruments?

Curly sings. The place she works has a company choir and they perform a handful of times each year. Should we ever try to work up an act and take it on the road, she'll be doing the singing while I make lots of noise.

*raises hand* My guitar is like an extension of my penis. If i dont use it ill forget how D:

Iowa

SeventhCrow

Where at in Iowa? I hail from the backwater known as Oskaloosa.

Ainsworth Iowa......

Just Me,
Tim

Misician

Funny I should find this thread. I think I was a practicing poly musician (pro 30 years) before I came out . I would have a steady gig with one band but sit-in or fill-in with many bands at the same time, all styles and types .. It makes me happy that way!

Done most from Jazz, Blues, Country, Top 40, folk .. you name it ... love the challenge and always looking to broaden my horizions!

Love to from all about this .. I can help make recomendations to any and all that need guidience on any kind of music!

love!

Back