"The Burn" is "The Pleasure"?

ColorsWolf

I haven't been able to find any thing like this on this website or even the internet in general.~

Well I have, but not any focusing specifically on the "the burn" becoming "the pleasure".~

I love to workout, I love getting physically stronger, and I love to work up a sweat!~ ^_^ mmmm....sweat!~ :p

I workout to become stronger and healthier, I don't want to be bulky in any way on purpose. I love being slim, flexible, fast, and adaptable.~ I don't like to lift weights and I don't like artificial things and places designed to workout like gyms and machines.~ I much prefer natural movement and using my own natural body weight.~

When I reach that point where I am working out and I start to "feel the burn" that pain associated with becoming stronger: I think in my head, "I am becoming STRONGER!"~ and it still hurts but I started realizing that I recently have begun to feel "pleasure" as well, and the more I push myself the closer it comes to becoming sort of almost like a toned-down "orgasm".~

Does any one else experience this sensation?~

I never really thought of myself as a "torture me for pain, the more it hurts the more I like it!" - kind of guy, but I think that the fact that I associate the "burn" from working out with becoming "stronger" maybe be one of the reasons why this is happening to me.~

Last edited:
I haven't been able to find any thing like this on this website or even the internet in general.~

Well I have, but not any focusing specifically on the "pain".~

I love to workout, I love getting physically stronger, and I love to work up a sweat!~ ^_^ mmmm....sweat!~ :p

I workout to become stronger and healthier, I don't want to be bulky in any way on purpose. I love being slim, flexible, fast, and adaptable.~ I don't like to lift weights and I don't like artificial things and places designed to workout like gyms and machines.~ I much prefer natural movement and using my own natural body weight.~

When I reach that point where I am working out and I start to "feel the burn" that pain associated with becoming stronger: I think in my head, "I am becoming STRONGER!"~ and it still hurts but I started realizing that I recently have begun to feel "pleasure" as well, and the more I push myself the closer it comes to becoming sort of almost like a toned-down "orgasm".~

I never really thought of myself as a "torture me for pain, the more it hurts the more I like it!" - kind of guy, but I think that the fact that I associate the "burn" from working out with becoming "stronger" maybe be one of the reasons why this is happening to me.~

Yes.. although I do prefer weights, and bulk.

I have also gotten similar "burns" from body weight workouts, even dabbled in natural workout (I forget the name)

Moving, and progressing is my thing :).. that usually includes the well sought after burn. :)

I also used to power lift, and played football. So I quite enjoy the fitness I aim for, which is alway adjusting. Sometimes leaner and faster, sometimes I want to life really heavy things. :) It all depends on .. the time of the year I suppose. Keeping in mind at 6'5, my lean weight is 250 and I can get as heavy as 300 pretty easily depending on how I am feeling.

Recently, about 2 weeks ago I did 10 chin-ups and 10 pull-ups in one day: 2 sets of 5 each.~

The next day my arms felt like some one had hit them with a truck and I could barely move them for 4 days and they were swollen to.~

After some icey hot, a hot steaming bath, and 4 days later I could fully move my arms again.~

Now 2 weeks later, I CAN NOT DO 1 SINGLE PULL-UPS OR CHIN-UP!~

Keep in mind that before that 1 time 2 weeks ago, I hadn't done a pull-up or a chin-up in 10 years!~

Are my muscles still healing?~

I started doing drop-downs: starting at the top and slowly dropping down and trying to pull myself up and stay in that position for as long as I can.~

I've been inventing new ways to work out my triceps and my entire arms using only my own body weight:

laying on the ground back as close to the floor as I can arms lifting my body up,

legs-crossed and locked in lotus position butt facing the floor lifting my body up using only my arms,

knees to the ground facing the floor relaxing the rest of my body and pushing myself up with only my arms against the the weight of my body using my relaxed knees as a pivot,

legs crossed and locked in the lotus position and using my arms as my 'legs' to move around haven't been able to 'walk' yet but I am getting close.

And of course I randomly do 1 set of 20 push-ups, sit-ups, or squats, throughout the entire day, I can do 40 push-ups non-stop and double that with sit-ups.~

I also run 1 mile and 1/2 in 6:30 minutes and seconds and pedal a stand-still bike for 1 hour and 1 minute for 10 mile distance on "8" resistance setting (highest resistance setting) every couple of days.~

I also do a bunch of other workouts that I heard were going to be done in Navy bootcamp where I am headed in less than 4 months (February):

flutter-kicks, laying-down side-leg-lifts, diamond push-ups, 8-count bodybuilders, and mountain climbers.~

After a certain point regular push-ups, sit-ups, and squats, weren't 'doing it' for me, but by changing everything to everything above, I'm starting to 'feel it' again especially with the workouts working out my triceps!~ ^_^

Should I stop and wait for my arms to fully heal if they aren't already healed?~

Last edited:
Rest is the most important part of working out. Its what heals the muscles and helps them grow stronger. Are you early on? It sounds like you may be pushing your workouts to more extreme then your body is used to?

You don't mention how long you have been working out? What your minimums are.. etc.

Everything you have described.. sounds like you need rest. Try alternating like traditional body building to give broad areas of muscles rest.

Push
Pull
Legs

Is a good split to help you get as much rest as possible..

Dropdowns, also known as negative reps also cause the most "damage" might wanna rest abit more after those.

Oh ya.. eat.. eat lots.. protein to help you heal. Really you have to play with your food to figure out what helps you. Personally Paleo suits me well, my body absorbs proteins nicely and I tend not to work well with carbs in my system leaving my lethargic in the afternoon. I have traditionally done the 30x30x30 system which has suited me as well. As long as I keep my carbs lowish and low glycemic I heal well and grow strong.

Eat
Rest
Split your workouts

Grow stronger and enjoy

(throw in some other routines too.. pistol squat, russian pushups, burpees and other ploymetric style workouts)

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/200...ight-workout-warning-this-will-kick-your-ass/
http://www.menshealth.co.uk/building-muscle/bodyweight-exercises/

Oh ya, TRX rocks. Truly kickass stuff. I love suspended workouts.

I do try to workout often, but I travel frequently so sometimes bodyweight exercises are all I have. Gets difficult for motivation since I truly love to move heavy things. Hopefully some of those sites help you out.

Oh.. one thing I love about bodyweight exercises are the freedom.. go play on a playground.. screw pullups, just climb arond like a monkey, don't try to touch the ground. Make challenges for yourself like when you were a kid. Betcha its still a workout :D..

Rest is the most important part of working out. Its what heals the muscles and helps them grow stronger. Are you early on? It sounds like you may be pushing your workouts to more extreme then your body is used to?

You don't mention how long you have been working out? What your minimums are.. etc.

Everything you have described.. sounds like you need rest. Try alternating like traditional body building to give broad areas of muscles rest.

Push
Pull
Legs

Is a good split to help you get as much rest as possible..

Dropdowns, also known as negative reps also cause the most "damage" might wanna rest abit more after those.

Oh ya.. eat.. eat lots.. protein to help you heal. Really you have to play with your food to figure out what helps you. Personally Paleo suits me well, my body absorbs proteins nicely and I tend not to work well with carbs in my system leaving my lethargic in the afternoon. I have traditionally done the 30x30x30 system which has suited me as well. As long as I keep my carbs lowish and low glycemic I heal well and grow strong.

Eat
Rest
Split your workouts

Grow stronger and enjoy

(throw in some other routines too.. pistol squat, russian pushups, burpees and other ploymetric style workouts)

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/200...ight-workout-warning-this-will-kick-your-ass/
http://www.menshealth.co.uk/building-muscle/bodyweight-exercises/

Oh ya, TRX rocks. Truly kickass stuff. I love suspended workouts.

I do try to workout often, but I travel frequently so sometimes bodyweight exercises are all I have. Gets difficult for motivation since I truly love to move heavy things. Hopefully some of those sites help you out.

Oh.. one thing I love about bodyweight exercises are the freedom.. go play on a playground.. screw pullups, just climb arond like a monkey, don't try to touch the ground. Make challenges for yourself like when you were a kid. Betcha its still a workout :D..

Boy howdy, I wish I could do that!~ XD I live in San Bernardino City, California, U.S.A., almost right next to the bridge that goes over the freeway!~ XD I would LOVE to go some where in the wilderness and just climb everything go WILD-> I'm ALWAYS saying natural movement is the greatest workout!~

As it stands: I'm in the Navy BUT I'm in the DEP meaning I have yet to start basic training and it will be months before I start and I don't get paid until I START basic training 4 months from now in February.~

No money=no gas=no car.~ Plus my parents don't want me doing anything too "dangerous" because if I get injured that could stop me from going to basic and maybe even discharged ("fired").~

There are no playgrounds near my house just lots of concrete, bricks, road, and a grass and trees park/library (no playground) about 5 minutes drive from my house, but no money=no gas=no car.~

I DO however live on almost an acre of land, small house but HUGE backyard it's like a grass-field in the spring with 1 tree in the middle of it, 1 tree next to the storage shed, and 1 tree next to the neighbors fence. I wouldn't be so sure about the stability of any of these trees though, they look more like the "undead" kind that is they look like their skin is brittle and might come-off but their cores seems to be strong as it took a long time for my dad to trim the 1 near our neighbors.~

I have an 'old-fashioned' 2-metal poles in the ground clothes-line with the line taken down.~ I've been using this for my chin-ups and pull-ups.~ I work with what I have, in the future I'll be all about natural movement but for now I use what I got.~ I still manage to come up with A LOT of creative new exercises using only my own body weight!~ ^_^

I hear so many kinds of advice, tear your muscles they'll heal stronger!~ Rest, let your muscles heal!~ I'm not the kind of guy to separate work-outs like that.~ Maybe I should just take it easy on the arms for awhile or maybe not do any exercise for a week and see what happens (that will be tough mentally)?~ XD

Last edited:
the "the burn" becoming "the pleasure"...

The burn is caused by lactic acid building up in your muscles.

The pleasure is your body's natural opiates, endorphins, being released in response to the pain of the workout. This is also known as a "runner's high." It generally occurs 20 minutes into a workout. This is why exercise can become addicting. Our body starts to crave that high.

Also, it's a large part of the reason some people are into spankings and floggings and other painful practices in the BDSM world. The pain of the impact changes to pleasure as endorphins are released.

The burn is caused by lactic acid building up in your muscles.

The pleasure is your body's natural opiates, endorphins, being released in response to the pain of the workout. This is also known as a "runner's high." It generally occurs 20 minutes into a workout. This is why exercise can become addicting. Our body starts to crave that high.

Also, it's a large part of the reason some people are into spankings and floggings and other painful practices in the BDSM world. The pain of the impact changes to pleasure as endorphins are released.

Thank you for explaining more about this subject!~ I wanted to know more about what exactly happens during this.~

I love science!~ ^_^

Ariakas I just realized I never answered your question, well here is my answer: I've only done pull-ups and chin-ups about 2 weeks ago, but I have been physically training every-single-day for 6-7 months now.~

Until recently I have only been doing push-ups and sit-ups, now I am expanding my workout types.~

But I am going to rest for awhile longer, it might drive me mad not doing any thing, but my body is telling me I need the rest!~ XD ^_^

Update: Rested for 1 week, can do 1 pull-up and 1 chin-up with a running start for both.~ I guess that's progress, I have no idea what's going on, but I guess I'll just keep working out and becoming stronger!~ ^_^

Still don't know why I can't do the amount I did only a few weeks ago, oh well.~ :)

Feeling the pain from trying out new more effort exercises, I LOVE IT!~ ^_^ :)

I GOT BLISTERS ON ME FINGERS!~ XD

Well actually all over my hands and feet!~ ;p It's been a great 3 days!~ :) ^_^

My body is starting to become stronger and sculpt itself, eating all the fat around my muscles leaving mostly just the shape of the muscles showing through the skin.~ :) ^_^

My goal is to be every bit as strong and dexterous with my whole body as every Assassin in the Assassin's Creed series video games to go where ever any where I please with little to no effort!~ :) ^_^

ColorsWolf

Last edited:
Squats:
'cause nothing else hurts so good.

Truthfully if I go too long without hitting the weights, my body starts to give me little cramps that feel like withdrawal cravings, couple of quick sets with the free weights sets me right again.

Also as an interesting side note, I don't seem to get the lactic acid dumps after workouts to a significant degree, not anymore anyway. I get the muscle soreness from my lifts, but not the extended "everything-fucking-hurts-FOREVER" agony.

Squats:
'cause nothing else hurts so good.

Truthfully if I go too long without hitting the weights, my body starts to give me little cramps that feel like withdrawal cravings, couple of quick sets with the free weights sets me right again.

Also as an interesting side note, I don't seem to get the lactic acid dumps after workouts to a significant degree, not anymore anyway. I get the muscle soreness from my lifts, but not the extended "everything-fucking-hurts-FOREVER" agony.

I am telling you, greatest work outs yet I have discovered for myself:

I recommend these steps to work your way to what I'm now doing and these are the things I did myself at first over the course of 6-7 months:

Start by doing push-ups do as many as you can before you get tired, then do those number every-single-day once a day, once you can do multiple sets of 20-push-ups throughout the day you can move on to the step

->

The following step is two separate exercises done around the same time together:

If you are not somewhat flexible, then learn how to be flexible especially with your legs until you can get into the Lotus Meditation Position: where you fold your legs in a cross-legged pattern like a Native American only your feet are on top of each other instead of under each other example picture below:

111jhlelkej%253Be.jpg

once in this position, the rest is simple: use your arms as your new legs to move around, you will probably be exhausted after a few seconds of this but eventually you will get better at this as this builds up your arms

+

This next exercise is some what simple yet can be complicated to get into the right posture: watch videos and pictures of how Chimps, Gorillas, and Orangutans walk, use these as aids to start walking on all four of your limbs both legs and arms, the easiest is walking on your palms just pretend you have four feet like a Chimp, walking on your knuckles can be some

what difficult and tricky to get right but I just think to walk as if I'm carrying some thing in my hands as I walk on them like a Gorilla, and the last may easy to do but hard to maintain by walking on your fists like an Orangutan, do all of this half throughout your daily life by alternating between walking on two legs and walking on all four limbs=this will seriously build up

your arms much in the same way as the above exercise before this one but some what easier and not as intense, once you have done both these exercises until you feel you are ready to try working out up-side-down using your arms then you are ready to move on to these two exercises in this next step

->

hang-up-side-down on to two poles going horizontally (side to side) and hang on using your legs legs going on top of the first pole and putting the ends of your legs under the second pole using it to keep you locked in place (I use the backs of my knee joints like hands legs crossed to lock me into place because I have only one pole in the same place) and then grab onto

the pole with both your hands and then proceed to lean back and relax your body without falling off->then use your entire body to pull your self up->repeat until you are tired, but make sure after a certain set that you flip your hands around repeat the process=I can feel the workout in my entire body almost as this works out your pull-up and chin-up muscles as

well as your sit-up muscles-->I'm using this as a building start to work my way up to UP-SIDE-DOWN-SIT-UPS AND to improve my pull-ups and chin-ups!~ ^_^

+

Find a wall if you can't stand straight up up-side-down on your hands, lean against the wall with your feet and legs pointing as straight up as you can while using the wall for support,->now WALK on your hands from one side to the other and repeat
the process until you get tired-->if you really want to get a crazy workout stand straight up up-side-down on your hands

using the above advice and DO UP-SIDE-DOWN-PUSH-UPS=these are crazy work outs you can feel it your arms, but ESPECIALLY the up-side-down-push-ups are BRUTAL on your arms, so far I can only do 5 before getting tired but WOW, I REALLY FELT IT!~ ^_^

Last edited:
Sounds intersting but also like a huge risk of dropping oneself on the head.

If you have access to a gym with a proper stock of weights and racks (bench, and squat rack ..... you'd never belive how many "gyms" do not have an actual squat rack). Try wendlers 5/3/1 workout.

It's simple, it's very low risk for injury, and it gets results.

Sounds intersting but also like a huge risk of dropping oneself on the head.

If you have access to a gym with a proper stock of weights and racks (bench, and squat rack ..... you'd never belive how many "gyms" do not have an actual squat rack). Try wendlers 5/3/1 workout.

It's simple, it's very low risk for injury, and it gets results.

I've always been a climbing monkey-like individual my whole life even as a kid, as I got older I started climbing buildings and walls among other things with no formal training with little to no difficulty at all.~

I am aware of the risk, but I try to be as careful as I can be with what I have access to.~

No offense, but I dislike Gyms, they're too stuffy and I much more prefer to work out outside than inside.~

Some thing about the air and openness really gives me energy!~ :) ^_^

^^Check out my previous post again, I'm adding steps to work your way up to my exercises.~^^

Last edited:
This may seem like an odd place for me to post since I'm de-plorable about exercising these days. However there was a time (pre-1970 until 2008) when I exercised much, sometimes joyfully, sometimes determinedly, always vigorously.

The occasional mountain hike was really always my favorite exercise, especially when done on Mount Timanogos in Utah. But my second-favorite turned out to be tree-climbing. Which can be hard to get away with socially at times. Climbing trees is rather frowned upon by your average neighbor, as people are alarmed by, and often offended as well by, the sight of some guy doing something really out of the ordinary. At the peak of one of my coolest/tallest tree climbs (on a tree in a public park), I was actually ordered to come down and stop climbing trees by a police officer (who'd been summoned by a neighbor adjacent to the park). So, I had to learn how to pick out isolated trees where other humans wouldn't spy me, or climb at night.

Which is a shame because there's no work-out like a tree climb, and it dispenses continuous rewards as one climbs. The challenge of picking this or that branch, the demand for flexibility and creativity, and the increasingly dramatic view of the receding Earth, all add up to a rush and a thorough workout for many diverse muscle groups. It's a bit like climbing through a vertical maze, and the maze seems to reinvent itself on the way back down.

Another great workout is the "sword stick" games of pretend my brothers and friends and used to play as kids. Fun, creative, and yet full of tons of running and "play combat" which again exercised quite a variety of muscles (not in the least the cardiovascular muscles). The disadvantage was the occasional accidental hit with a stick that really bruised someone. We actually devised rules/penalties about such accidents (and trusted that they were accidents) to serve as incentives for people to practice due caution during these games (which typically lasted for several exciting hours).

I've never been a fan of gyms and gym equipment, with the sole exception of a good pull-up bar. Instead of going to the gym, an official workout of mine (from about 1990 thru about 2008) would consist of push-ups, sit-ups, a length of running/walking (no hard-core goals there; just run as long as you feel you can, walk long enough that you feel ready to run again, and rinse and repeat) to the destination of some playground where I could do pull-ups -- and some tree-climbing for good measure. It usually worked pretty well, and for quite a few years I really had a chest and arms I could show off to the ladies (if I'd been so inclined). Not like Arnold Schwarzenegger by any means; I wouldn't want that much muscle on myself. But I could measure my progress and felt good about it. I was leaner back then too which I personally liked.

But circumstances, psychologically-exaggerated aging, depression, lassitude, laziness, and the lure of the computer with its tasty poly forums, eventually sucked my will and body away from physical exercise, to engage in much verbal, mental, and emotional exercise instead. I know it's neither well-rounded nor good for me in that sense, but it's about all I can muster and maybe in some ways I flatter myself that what I do these days is important and helpful to at least some folks here and there.

But in nostalgic reverie, I remember "the rush" we here call "the pleasure of the burn" with satisfying clarity. Nothing quite like, just for one example, seeing how long one can stand to run before lapsing into a walk, and then while walking feeling how alive one's whole self is, lungs heaving and heart pounding away. Inspires one to start running again just a little sooner than one would have in the past, and run just a bit longer than one would have in the past before one's next rest.

And that's the story of how I always used to like to exercise. For those of you who do still have the cojones to persist in the "perfecting of the body," I hope my "little" post here will give you an extra boost of inspiration.

Sincerely,
Kevin T.

This may seem like an odd place for me to post since I'm de-plorable about exercising these days. However there was a time (pre-1970 until 2008) when I exercised much, sometimes joyfully, sometimes determinedly, always vigorously.

The occasional mountain hike was really always my favorite exercise, especially when done on Mount Timanogos in Utah. But my second-favorite turned out to be tree-climbing. Which can be hard to get away with socially at times. Climbing trees is rather frowned upon by your average neighbor, as people are alarmed by, and often offended as well by, the sight of some guy doing something really out of the ordinary. At the peak of one of my coolest/tallest tree climbs (on a tree in a public park), I was actually ordered to come down and stop climbing trees by a police officer (who'd been summoned by a neighbor adjacent to the park). So, I had to learn how to pick out isolated trees where other humans wouldn't spy me, or climb at night.

Which is a shame because there's no work-out like a tree climb, and it dispenses continuous rewards as one climbs. The challenge of picking this or that branch, the demand for flexibility and creativity, and the increasingly dramatic view of the receding Earth, all add up to a rush and a thorough workout for many diverse muscle groups. It's a bit like climbing through a vertical maze, and the maze seems to reinvent itself on the way back down.

Another great workout is the "sword stick" games of pretend my brothers and friends and used to play as kids. Fun, creative, and yet full of tons of running and "play combat" which again exercised quite a variety of muscles (not in the least the cardiovascular muscles). The disadvantage was the occasional accidental hit with a stick that really bruised someone. We actually devised rules/penalties about such accidents (and trusted that they were accidents) to serve as incentives for people to practice due caution during these games (which typically lasted for several exciting hours).

I've never been a fan of gyms and gym equipment, with the sole exception of a good pull-up bar. Instead of going to the gym, an official workout of mine (from about 1990 thru about 2008) would consist of push-ups, sit-ups, a length of running/walking (no hard-core goals there; just run as long as you feel you can, walk long enough that you feel ready to run again, and rinse and repeat) to the destination of some playground where I could do pull-ups -- and some tree-climbing for good measure. It usually worked pretty well, and for quite a few years I really had a chest and arms I could show off to the ladies (if I'd been so inclined). Not like Arnold Schwarzenegger by any means; I wouldn't want that much muscle on myself. But I could measure my progress and felt good about it. I was leaner back then too which I personally liked.

But circumstances, psychologically-exaggerated aging, depression, lassitude, laziness, and the lure of the computer with its tasty poly forums, eventually sucked my will and body away from physical exercise, to engage in much verbal, mental, and emotional exercise instead. I know it's neither well-rounded nor good for me in that sense, but it's about all I can muster and maybe in some ways I flatter myself that what I do these days is important and helpful to at least some folks here and there.

But in nostalgic reverie, I remember "the rush" we here call "the pleasure of the burn" with satisfying clarity. Nothing quite like, just for one example, seeing how long one can stand to run before lapsing into a walk, and then while walking feeling how alive one's whole self is, lungs heaving and heart pounding away. Inspires one to start running again just a little sooner than one would have in the past, and run just a bit longer than one would have in the past before one's next rest.

And that's the story of how I always used to like to exercise. For those of you who do still have the cojones to persist in the "perfecting of the body," I hope my "little" post here will give you an extra boost of inspiration.

Sincerely,
Kevin T.

Thanks for sharing Kevin, it seems we are two birds of a feather in this way after all!~ ^_^

I guess you could say that ... ;) Just displaced in time.

Back