The movie thread

Tiberius

Just a thread to spred the word about some great movies you've seen.

I'll start by telling you about a French movie called Amelie. Absolutely delightfully charming about a young French woman who decides that she'll make other people's lives better. And the soundtrack is glorious as well.

Any movies you've seen that you've loved?

Oldie but goodie: Grumpy old men! (This movie is like chicken soup for me. Ive even watched it in the bath tub after a rough day)

I have been watching many of the past years' Oscar nominated films and quite enjoying them. I've gotten through these so far:

Wolf of Wall St
Nebraska
Captain Philips
Dallas Buyers Club
Gravity
Blue Jasmine

on deck:

Frozen
Great Gatsby
12 Years a Slave
Desolation of Smaug
Philomena

Also recently saw The Artist, which won the previous year. And we rewatched Capote after Hoffman passed away.

Totally agree about Amelie.

Last few movies that I really liked:
Cloud Atlas
Harold and Maud

(I'm not a movie buff - MrS selects movies that he knows I will like :p. So I rarely have to watch anything "meh" - unless Dude selects it. He has really truly terrible taste, although I did enjoy Rush.)

Oh! They don't have to be poly movies? (Not that I don't have a few poly favorites.)

Jeezh, I wouldn't know where to begin, so many movies are near and dear to my heart.

I watched "12 Years a Slave" a few weeks ago, and was impressed. On a related note I watched "Lincoln" (Daniel Day-Lewis) maybe a year ago and was surprised at how much I liked it. Speaking of Daniel Day-Lewis I watched "There Will Be Blood" a few years ago, and would watch it again anytime. What a main character!

I'll just follow this thread and see what other favorites it calls to mind ...

My favorite movie is The Fountain. It has Hugh Jackman and Rachel Weisz! It is such a beautiful movie and I cry every time. I don't watch it often for that reason. I normally like science fiction.

For some reason I found "Cinema Paradiso" (1988) to be a tear-jerker. "The Other Sister" (1999) and "I Am Sam" (2001) affected me that way even though I know they got mixed reviews from other viewers.

Great movie. Sure it's a little after-school-special-ish, and for some reason it gets on some viewers' nerves, but it's one of my all-time faves.

I saw Maleficent the other day. Quite an interesting take on the Sleeping Beauty story. I'd recommend that you see the original Sleeping Beauty first, and view it as a distorted version of the story, then see Maleficent to see how it really went.

Love love love movies.

Top:
Constantine
Practical magic (where my name came from)
Marie Antoinette
Departed
Sex and the city (not the movies but I own all the seasons)

Growing to the top:
21&22 jump street. Watched 22 twice now and would totally go see it again
Pitch perfect
Walter smitty

How about two for Russell Crowe fans:

• "The Insider" (1999)
  • "Gladiator" (2000)
Those two are way up high on my list of favorites. Was reminded of "The Insider" the other day when Snowbunny experienced some really shady crap from the corporation she was working for. :mad:

Don't know if this'll be off-topic, but I just watched "American Courtesans" (2013). It's a documentary consisting mostly of interviews with women who are or were prostitutes, and some of the men in their lives, both customers and husbands. It was interesting, had class, and I liked it. Has anyone else seen it and if yes, what did you think of it?

Don't know if this'll be off-topic, but I just watched "American Courtesans" (2013). It's a documentary consisting mostly of interviews with women who are or were prostitutes, and some of the men in their lives, both customers and husbands. It was interesting, had class, and I liked it. Has anyone else seen it and if yes, what did you think of it?

I have not seen that movie but now I'm very intreged.
I am taking a psychology class this semester on human sexuality and I think that movie would fit in great.

Yes; I believe it would.

I saw Maleficent the other day. Quite an interesting take on the Sleeping Beauty story. I'd recommend that you see the original Sleeping Beauty first, and view it as a distorted version of the story, then see Maleficent to see how it really went.

Took wifey to see it. She loved it, I thought it was pretty good. Her daughter finally saw it and loved it. Wife saw it in IMAX and liked it.

hello movie fans

not a movie but Tele.Wicked lil show called PennyDreadful AWESOME!!!!!

Couple other television shows I'd recommend:

• Breaking Bad
  • Orange Is the New Black
OItNB is ongoing and I'm just finishing up Season Two. BB is finished and I've watched the whole series twice.

Couple other television shows I'd recommend:

• Breaking Bad
  • Orange Is the New Black
OItNB is ongoing and I'm just finishing up Season Two. BB is finished and I've watched the whole series twice.

Love orange is the new black. Currently on episode number 3. So far loving new season.

Back