Scaring 'em off left and right

Rarechild

Ahh- hey everybody, thanks for being out there to listen. Writing on here is a really welcome outlet for the successes, failures, and quandaries alike. Sitting down to write this story, I feel relief already, knowing that I'll receive another perspective, knowing that people care.

One of the most liberating things about D and I talking about poly is that I have had many friends over the years that I've crushed out on, and have felt pretty tortured and alone with my secret desires, and being able to talk to D about them has been a great relief.

In the past, at a certain point where the crush started to be unhealthy, or take up too much head space and I wasn't free to pursue it for one reason or another, I have had to step off of those friendships because I saw no way out of being torn up when I was around these people, and didn't like the stress and pitiful state of secret attraction pounding around in my head and journals when I tried to "just be friends." I felt foolish, awkward, didn't trust myself not to act on my attraction and screw things up with whomever I was seeing at the time and whomever the crush was involved with. So I have just stayed away.

I went to see such a person, J, about a week ago, after not having seen him in five years( the time I've known D) for this very set of reasons. I told D all about him, about how we had always come just shy of being together, about how we'd talked about one of us being ready when the other was involved the last time we spent time alone together. I also told him about how great this guy is, how much I wanted him for a friend, how rare our connection was, and now that I didn't have to be afraid of appearances, how I'd like to finally go see him again, after knowing J for eight years, and the last five years only the occasional phone call and e-mail.

I had a feeling J was just as excited, just as conflicted as I about seeing me. I knew he had a girlfriend and children, and I didn't plan on making any sort of move on him, just wanted to see his face and hear him laugh and catch up.

He picked me up from my mother's house where I was staying overnight. We had talked earlier in the day, and I was getting a very sexual vibe from him, which of course, I totally contributed to. I called D and made sure to explain everything again, including this vibe, and we discussed what I would do if he came on to me. We agreed that there would be no physical contact, and I would make sure that he was either unattached or being honest with his girlfriend before anything (second date, etc., as this was turning out to be more of a date than a friendly reunion) else happened.

We hugged hard and got in his truck. He was going on about how he couldn't believe I was there with him, and we could do anything I wanted to do, he was just so happy to see me. We sat in the truck, driving towards town, just glowing and talking and enjoying seeing one another again immensely.

I swear I wasn't going to say anything about exploring poly or anything even similar on this first encounter after such a long stretch, I wanted very much to just enjoy being near him without guilt and feel things out.

We stopped at a red light about 10 minutes into the drive, and he turned to me and said he was going to be straight, he had to tell me something. he said if he didn't get to see me for another five years, he had to tell me how he felt (his words were "Fuck not saying how you feel"),- he had always respected me, been attracted to me, thought I was beautiful and liked the way I carried myself, how I think and speak, and had a lot of love for me, so if I ever needed anything, anything from him, that I should call and he would be there.

Oh my. You can bet this felt good after eight years of caginess and restraint, but now I had to respond, divert from my plan, be as open with him as he was being with me and right away.

I told him I knew this, and thank you, and that I felt the same way about him. I said it felt good to finally say it.

Then I said my life had really changed recently, and that D and I had come to a beautiful place that allowed me to be open and honest about my feelings for J. I told J that D knew I was here with him, on a date, knew I was attracted to him, that we had talked about it, and that D was 100% fine with me reconnecting on whatever level was natural, and supported me as long as I was honest and did what was right for myself and those involved.

That took J by surprise. he said, "Really!!??" and smiled (which I took to mean he thought I wasn't with D or was lying about being with J), and we talked about it some more, talked about his relationship with his girlfriend, more about where I was in my marriage, and then we got where we were going- to J's friend's house, and we had to stop discussing it.

After the visit to the friend's house, he took me out to dinner, and this uncomfortable, nervous thing had started happening. I felt we had both burst open with each other, and then withdrawn. I couldn't eat, partially due to the sushi I'd had for lunch, but mostly due to butterflies, and not knowing what to say next. I drank coffee and watched him eat, which didn't make things any more comfortable, and we had short bursts of conversations about this and that, but we were both obviously mostly lost in our own thoughts.

We said goodnight early, as I was heading back home an hour away, and had to pick up D at 10p.m. from work.

When I got home, I sent off an e-mail after thinking about the night on the hour drive home, and said I'd like to fill in the blanks to our conversation, there was much to say, did he want to hear?

No response.

Waited a week. Called him. He said "Hi, can I call you back?" and didn't.

That was a couple of days ago. I am not a patient woman. D thinks he got in trouble with his girl, was lying to her, she saw my e-mail- something like that. D's words were "Forgive me, but I think he thought you were a booty call."

I know that J and I are more deeply connected than that, and it would be totally fine with me to just be friends as we have been, or to just hear what is happening so I don't have to imagine. I'm confused because J initiated the conversation and now I feel ignored.

I know I have to let things happen naturally, and that this type of relating with people is very hard to get the mind around, so perhaps he is just processing. The worst thing would be that our beautiful, honest, exciting conversation about how we feel about each other is the very thing that ends the relationship completely.

I don't want to push, but I feel I deserve to know what's going on.

I am trying to keep in mind that this experience has given me more intimacy with D, and a chance to test myself in uncharted territory, and also it just felt good to tell the truth, to have a conversation that I never could have had before- that is beautiful in itself, fresh, liberating.

But I also got my hopes up, and it's so hard to keep myself from demanding more contact, even though it's been made clear that J is not ready to. So hard not to write an e-mail or call again, so I'm writing it all out here. Dammit.

Thanks for reading.

That's an interesting title you picked for the thread.

From what you wrote, I don't see how you "scared 'em off left and right".

If he was scared off, he did it to himself.

Unless there's something you're not telling us!

scary

The title is because the first guy I was attracted to wandered off after hearing that D was in on our relationship such as it was. I am impatient, as I said, to find someone who will not think I'm a weirdo because my husband's ok with me seeing other people.

I think I just need to calm down and realize that most people have no conception of this as a way of life- also that I'm new at it, and get a little over-enthused wanting to find someone to share with. :)

A basic rule of thumb regards "romantic" relationships is that they happen when we aren't, or have stopped, looking for them. They generally happen when we're not trying to make them happen. This is true, I am sure, for mono and poly folk.

I, myself, find you very attractive, and doubt that you need worry about it overly much. It'll happen just as soon as you give up on it. ;)

A basic rule of thumb regards "romantic" relationships is that they happen when we aren't, or have stopped, looking for them. They generally happen when we're not trying to make them happen. This is true, I am sure, for mono and poly folk. <--and particularly unicorn hunters!

I, myself, find you very attractive, and doubt that you need worry about it overly much. It'll happen just as soon as you give up on it. ;)

Listen to the nice man, Rarechild.

Think of it this way, the sooner you stop trying to find him/her, the sooner she/he may show up!

One of the things I love most about my wife is her exuberance. When has a revelation, a new way of thinking, she is all in. Every time. Without fail.

I think this situation is more complex than it seems. I think she believes J is on an emotional level that he may not be yet. I still think he thought it was a booty call. Obviously she knows him better than I do and I know it's folly to assume anything about anyone, but my solar plexus tells me he intended on cheating on his girlfriend and was taken completely by surprise when R made her honorable intentions known.

What happened after they parted is up for debate, but I have a feeling that he's in the doghouse for one reason or another. He seems to me to be the kind of person who, if left to his own devices, would be totally into seeing R with full knowledge of me being ok with it. I think he was dishonest with his gf and that was that. Now I think he has cut ties with R to salvage his relationship and family. And more power to him.

I do truly hope that they can re-reconnect after things smooth out on his end, but I also hope it happens with full disclosure for all parties involved.

Until then, we shall both wait for lightening to strike in the form of a unicorn, wood-nymph, satyr, cyclops or an honest politician.

I've found the best way to think of it is as fishing. Only I'm not baitcasting, tossing out a line and reeling it in, trying to entice one of the fishies to grab that hook. Nope. I'm setting a trotline with multiple hooks and I ignore the damn thing most of the time. I check on it once in a while to see if any fish have decided to bite.

So, you've set your bait on that hook. Ignore it for a while. Set more hooks--and ignore them. Check back occasionally to see if any o' dem fishies has taken the bait.

A basic rule of thumb regards "romantic" relationships is that they happen when we aren't, or have stopped, looking for them. They generally happen when we're not trying to make them happen. This is true, I am sure, for mono and poly folk.

I couldn't agree more.... I just wish more ppl understood this. I am on the opposite side of this. I am a unicorn being persued. And getting ppl to see the best relationships are not rushed... yeah, not so easy. :rolleyes: This unicorn is hard to catch. :p

umm

Mostly what sticks in my craw is the fact that I have shadowboxed with this guy for 8 years, and don't want to have to let it go just when it looked like it was going to go to a new level. Is eight years rushing? I guess it is in the context of this new development, new attitudes, etc., but that's why it doesn't quite feel like I'm being hasty or overly unrealistic- remember- I wasn't expecting J to lay it all out on the table- so I felt like exactly what you are all saying was happening- an unexpected surprise coming my way after a long history of patience and prudence.

However, I do go all in when I am enthused-yes, and tend to get too intense too quickly.

Oh, and D, stop saying booty call.

I think about this in the way that - just b/c people are poly or are interested in relationships with people in general, does not mean that every attraction or interest should be made into more than just an attraction or interest!

I like that I can tell Ouroboros of my attractions... It's actually quite fun! BUT I still don't feel the need to pursue them all- although some are realllllyyyy hott.

I like the weird, uncomfortable feelings of the unknown.... And sometimes once I know what is there, all that awesomeness is lost. I guess that is pNRE :)

There is value in these relationships, even if just food for thought :D

"just b/c you can, doesn't mean you should" - now, I know that this may not fit your situation, but I wanted to give you some way to put a positive spin on it, regardless.

gotta say I really feel patronized by how the last few comments, but I'm sure the intentions were good.

But thanks very much, maybe I'm riled because I just don't want to hear it, and if I don't want to hear everyone's honest opinions and advice, I shouldn't post. :)

Last edited:
He could just be processing. Or he could be scared. Of he could be in trouble with his gf.

I've had open and honest and fast paced discussions cut off by other events (in your case the friend's house). It can be really hard to figure out how to start them back up. It can be even harder if you got information back you were not expecting. For instance, the love doesn't HAVE to be unrequieted after all. He may have been expecting "thank you and I feel the same but we're both in happy relationships". It would have allowed him to get his feelings out there and be known, but still have that "safe" zone of knowing nothing could ever happen. And then you blew him away with a whole new possibility.

Let him process if that's what he needs. An let us know if he does get back to you. And, if this doesn't work, at least take away from it the closeness it has brought to you and your husband and that first thrill of being able to openly tell a love interest of your interest and relationship status. I'm sure it was freeing.

Oh, and D, stop saying booty call.

Up until a few years ago, I always wanted to be a frequent booty call. Only managed to be an occasional booty call.

Nowadays, being a booty call is a bit of hassle, as those calls tend to come late in the evening when my old codger ass is wanting sleep. If you want the booty, stop by before I turn into a pumpkin...just sayin'....

We now return you to your regularly scheduled thread.

Thanks

He could just be processing. Or he could be scared. Of he could be in trouble with his gf.

I've had open and honest and fast paced discussions cut off by other events (in your case the friend's house). It can be really hard to figure out how to start them back up. It can be even harder if you got information back you were not expecting. For instance, the love doesn't HAVE to be unrequieted after all. He may have been expecting "thank you and I feel the same but we're both in happy relationships". It would have allowed him to get his feelings out there and be known, but still have that "safe" zone of knowing nothing could ever happen. And then you blew him away with a whole new possibility.

Let him process if that's what he needs. An let us know if he does get back to you. And, if this doesn't work, at least take away from it the closeness it has brought to you and your husband and that first thrill of being able to openly tell a love interest of your interest and relationship status. I'm sure it was freeing.

Really good thoughts- thanks. Also Crow and JRM, thanks for the goosing. Needed that too.

Update: J called and invited me to a performance of his, and made sure to invite D too, we didn't get to talk about what had happened, but what I got from the conversation was that he wanted to say he still wants to pursue our friendship, and he wanted to make sure and show respect for D, and let me know he heard where I was coming from. I'm completely happy with this development, feeling less intensity about it, and ready to allow the relationship to seek its own level. I am really thankful for being in a place with D where we could go through this together, and I am glad to have J back in my life, because he's a great person. I've let go of my expectations, which is only fair, and feel good about things now. I was in quite a tizzy. :)

YAY!!! I really have nothing else to say. :D

Back