Favourite movies thread

Never read the book. I've found that if I see the movie first, I'm not so interested in the book; well, that's the way I felt after I saw "Girl with the Dragon Tatoo" (good movie) and then started reading the book; I kept thinking, "I'm not interested in these details, just get on with the story already", laugh :p.

The book is infinitely better than the movie.

I see, heh :)

Even after I'd seen the movie a dozen times, the book was extremely entertaining. It's written as though the author was abridging a much longer book. There's all these parts where the text is in red, and those are the parts where the author supposedly cut out dozens of pages and reduced them to a couple paragraphs. He'll mention what he cut out and why it was pointless... but in actual fact, he wrote the whole book himself and there never was an unabridged version.

Laugh :). If memory serves, I think they make atleast one reference to this type of thing in the movie; "skipping" some parts I think it was, laugh :).

I'm currently reading the Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. It's been on my reading list for ages, but I was trying to get through Song of Ice and Fire.

I'm still on the second book of Song of Ice and Fire. It's ok, but I got C.S. Friedman's last book in the Magister Trilogy and so I've switched to reading that instead, laugh :). Actually, I wouldn't be reading anything on paper if it wasn't for the fact that my mother borrowed my iphone (with my Sudoku on it). Usually about the only time I'll read is when I'm too tired to be on this computer and I'm missing my iphone, laugh :). It was different when I lived in the city (Toronto, Canada); then, I'd read a lot when I was travelling here and there on the public transit system.

Which, by the way, is also much better than the show. The show is true to the plot and all, but the details in the book add SO much dimension to the characters.

Honestly, I like the show better, laugh :). Maybe I'll feel differently if I keep on reading (and more shows come out to catch up to where I've read), but that's the way I feel about it now.

When a movie comes out for a book, I usually try to read the book first if it looks good. I agree that reading the book after seeing the movie is rarely as satisfying as reading the book and then seeing the movie.

Yeah, I've definitely heard that.

The part that bothers me the most is how, when I read the book after, the characters have the actors' faces in my imagination. That just irks me.

Why? I actually kind of like being able to have a well defined face for a character. This is not to be confused with something done in a way I don't like. I don't know if you've seen any animes (japanese cartoons, they're both films and t.v. series, they're generally much deeper then north american fair), but I saw an anime series (Hellsing), and then I saw a remake of the series; I didn't like the remake that much; I kept thinking, that is -not- how that character is supposed to act, you've mutilated his persona... stopped watching it after the first episode.

Like, when I saw the movie for the first Harry Potter, before the final books were written. Then every time a new book came out, I kept seeing the movie faces when I was reading. I can't even remember what they looked like in my head anymore. That was very disappointing.

I guess I'm not such a fan of imaginary faces, laugh :).

Speaking of Harry Potter, my husband watched all the movies... I kept saying "read the books! read the books!" and he was all like "yeah yeah whatever" ... then he finally read the books and was all like "OMG why didn't I read these sooner?? They're so good!!" I didn't even try not to say "I told you so!"

Lol :). I read a bit of the first one.. wasn't really my thing. I've been told they get better and all.. I guess they could.. I just.. maybe later, laugh :). I've liked the Potter movies I've seen, though they're not on my favourites list. My ex was a real Potter fan, but I guess it wasn't so much for me. I definitely have a favourite scene though; the one where Harry Potter saves himself in Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban.

Last edited:
You are a woman yourself, are you not ;-)?

Doesn't mean I'd turn her out of my bed!

Lol :). You sound like my kind of woman ;-).

Just in that movie, I choose Johnny. Cap'n Jack looks a lot like my first serious girlfriend.

Lol :).

I also see her in Nicole Kidman (even my mom did. She was so excited to tell me, after they'd seen Chicago, how much the pretty lead actress looked like my girlfriend).

Cool :). I'm curious, you still with her or is this in the past? If the question's too personal, please disregard -.-

It was actually quite interesting, I'd like to watch all the Pirates again. I had the telly on for company a few weekends ago, and it was one of them (I think the second). The hot, hot, HOT scenes between the girl and Jack and the other guy (will?)

Lol :). I don't know what scene you're thinking of; all I know is that Will maries Elizabeth (aka "the girl" ;-) ) in the third film.

conveyed something very different to me, now that I'm in a vee. Current bf and I enjoy talking about how we project ourselves onto/into the movie characters.

For sure.

One of his favorites is Sahara: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0318649/

Rudi Gunn: But I was hoping to meet a girl on the Australian trip!
Al Giordino: No, African war zone; ship of death!
(also two boys, one girl)

I see, laugh :). I wasn't too impressed with the trailer, but I love Penelope Cruz, laugh :). I'm a real movie fan, I don't think I've ever seen a movie I've regretted seeing. Ofcourse, I refrain from seeing any seriously scary movies, that's the only kind I won't watch (unless you're talking the original Friday the 13ths, that stuff's so old it's campy :p).

Same here. I want to see First Knight one day, which definitely plays on the King Arthur/Lancelot/Guinevere triangle and has Richard Gere playing Lancelot, an actor I've always liked.

I didn't much care for Gere in that. I waffle on him a lot. Sometimes I like a performance, and more often I don't. He's definitely better older. The movie is quite beautiful though. It was a favorite of mom's, but she's a sucker for Sean Connery.

Lol, I see :). Well, I'll keep that in mind. Honestly, the only movie I know I've seen Gere in was "Pretty Woman", which I liked a lot. And a snippet of a japanese film; apparently he can speak a bit of japanese :cool:. Anyway, we'll see.

On biblical fiction: I LOVE IT. The Red Tent was stunning, a whole novel built from two paragraphs in Genesis. Also, _Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal_ is superb. He makes up chapters of the torah and quotes them (Frogs 31).

I see. My views on christianity (and religion in general) are most formed by films such as Zeitgeist (a documentary that its creator has published online here).. perhaps a sprinkling of The Da Vinci Code as well; I read the book first, then saw the movie. It was the movie that actually got me to read the main source material for the novel, Holy Blood, Holy Grail, which is -not- a novel, but a book which comes to certain conclusions. I know it's been criticized for having various inaccuracies. That being said, it certainly seemed a heck of a lot more interesting then what I'd heard of christianity before that point in time. I saw Zeitgeist after having read and seen The Da Vinci Code, as well as having read "Holy Blood, Holy Grail".

I've heard that about me. ;)

Cool :). I'm curious, you still with her or is this in the past? If the question's too personal, please disregard -.-

No, she was my first gf, aeons ago. I was 20ish when we started dating; I knew her in high school because she dated a guy who had been my first boyfriend. We were the only two girls who rode motorcycles to school. :) I was really crazy, like chemicals in brain simply rotted crazy, around her. Breaking up with her was as close to hell as I ever care to be. So, there was no contact for a long long time. If it hadn't been for a chance encounter, I might never have seen him in his new man form.

There are many scenes in Pirates with implications and romantic tensions between the girl and both Captain Jack and Wil Turner. My current vee is with two men, and that's what makes me view them differently now.

Honestly, the only movie I know I've seen Gere in was "Pretty Woman", which I liked a lot. And a snippet of a japanese film; apparently he can speak a bit of japanese :cool:. Anyway, we'll see.

Yes, he's a serious Buddhist. There's some movie he's in, in which he's partnered with I think a younger woman. She gets cancer. I liked that one.

I love how we've hijacked movies to books! :)

Laugh :). Honestly, my favourite scene was the last bit, with Sigourney Weaver in that skimpy outfit.

I generally don't like thriller type movies that are heading towards the horror end, and I don't touch horror films (unless they're old campy ones like Friday the 13th :p).. I guess I wouldn't be able to explain why, it's just the way I feel.

I think you are thinking of Alien, the first one in the series.

As Yoda once said, "How embarassing, how embarassing", laugh :). Yeah, that's the one I saw.

Aliens was the follow up. Not so much tension and thriller and more kick in the door and shoot some bugs.

I see, heh :). I admit that I go more for story lines though.. like I've said, I've never seen a movie that I regret seeing, but the good story lines make my day.

I'd heard of [Fight Club] before, have known some people who swear by it.. but fighting's never been my thing so still haven't seen it. I decided to see a preview of it just now, as well as read the wikipedia description... looks interesting. I loved Edward Norton in The Illusionist, and Brad Pitt in movies like "A River Runs Through it" and "Seven Years in Tibett".. so maybe one of these days, heh :).

The fighting in Fight Club is secondary to the social commentary.

Ok. Thought I'd mention I also liked Legends of the Fall which also had Brad Pitt in it. Come to think of it, it also had a poly theme as well.

Cool. I used to read comics a fair amount; I loved the X men back in the day. I also liked the Hellboy film, but I never read the comic or B.P.R.D.

Wise cracking, literal son of Satan good guy, what's not to like?

Lol :). I liked the movie.. but my style was always more... serious? Not sure if that's the right word, feels like it though. My all time favourite comic mini series was the Genosha series in the X men comic. Never played out on the silver screen or the t.v. series, although some of the aftermath was mentioned in one of the tv. episodes. Shadows of apartheid and pathological dislike of differences in it for sure. That in turn, reminds me of V for Vendetta; loved that flick :).

Heard of Snatch, not of "Lock, Stock..." So many movies to see, heh :).

Lock, Stock... was where a number of the characters from Snatch made their first appearance. While not a true sequel, they are fun to watch close together.

Ok, may try to watch them in that order then, thanks.

Last edited:
Best book-to-movie translation EVER: Hogfather (Terry Pratchett). BBC did a movie. It was just creepy because all the characters were almost exactly as they were in my head. And it was a very faithful translation.

Still haven't read anything from Terry Pratchett. Maybe one of these days.. so many things to read/see, so little time, laugh :).

I've heard that about me. ;)

That really got me laughing for a bit :D

No, she was my first gf, aeons ago. I was 20ish when we started dating; I knew her in high school because she dated a guy who had been my first boyfriend. We were the only two girls who rode motorcycles to school. :)

I see, laugh :). I rode a scooter for about a year; I was living down there a while ago with my father (who was born and raised in Mexico) and he got me a scooter. I'm pretty sure that scooters, motorcycles, etc. are definitely more dangerous to drive; you don't have a metal frame protecting you from pretty much every angle after all. That being said, I must admit it felt pretty cool :). And man, was it ever cheap on gas, laugh :).

I was really crazy, like chemicals in brain simply rotted crazy, around her. Breaking up with her was as close to hell as I ever care to be.

Reminds me of the song November Rain by Gun n' Roses.. you choose that name because of the song, am I right?

So, there was no contact for a long long time. If it hadn't been for a chance encounter, I might never have seen him in his new man form.

Ah cool. So you're friends now?

There are many scenes in Pirates with implications and romantic tensions between the girl and both Captain Jack and Wil Turner. My current vee is with two men, and that's what makes me view them differently now.

Cool.

Honestly, the only movie I know I've seen Gere in was "Pretty Woman", which I liked a lot. And a snippet of a japanese film; apparently he can speak a bit of japanese :cool:.

Yes, he's a serious Buddhist.

Yeah. Buddhism, and Zen in particular, is the only religion that I respect in general. With others, I may respect some sects, but in general, I'm not too keen on them. That doesn't mean I'm interested in meditating though.. unless you count listening to music while doing dishes to be meditating ;-).

There's some movie he's in, in which he's partnered with I think a younger woman. She gets cancer. I liked that one.

Chelsea D.H.O. maybe? It was his first film it seems; made for tv. Could only find a one sentence plot line, so not sure.

I love how we've hijacked movies to books! :)

Lol :).

Reminds me of the song November Rain by Gun n' Roses.. you choose that name because of the song, am I right?

Nope, thanks for the link, don't think I ever heard it before. The refrain is familiar, it's probably been in radio background and I never noticed consciously. Can't remember what made me pick NovemberRain. It's very unlike my other nicks, and fairly unlike me, but I've had it for years.

re: my ex

Oh hell no. Not for lack of my trying. Random encounter in the parking lot, or I never would have known. He's moved to another continent. I behaved badly, and I completely understand why he wouldn't want to talk to me.

Richard Gere (it wasn't DHO)
ah, found it: Autumn In New York,
Romantic drama about an aging playboy who falls for a sweet, but terminally ill, young woman.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0174480/
Perhaps I was in a mood when I saw it; I recall enjoying it, being moved by it. It's likely rather predictable, and the characters fairly stereotypical. Very pretty movie.

Ok. Thought I'd mention I also liked Legends of the Fall which also had Brad Pitt in it. Come to think of it, it also had a poly theme as well.

Seen it. Amazing movie, or at least I thought so.

Why? I actually kind of like being able to have a well defined face for a character. This is not to be confused with something done in a way I don't like. I don't know if you've seen any animes (japanese cartoons, they're both films and t.v. series, they're generally much deeper then north american fair), but I saw an anime series (Hellsing), and then I saw a remake of the series; I didn't like the remake that much; I kept thinking, that is -not- how that character is supposed to act, you've mutilated his persona... stopped watching it after the first episode.

You know, I have the opposite problem. I simply can not watch the first Hellsing series now after having tracked down the manga and read all 10 volumes. The newer Hellsing Ultimates pretty much stick faithfully to the manga and, for me, is a much more interesting view. The original anime mangled so much, but it was also made to capitalize on the popularity of the new manga series without it having being finished written yet.

On a related note, I had trouble enjoying Starship Troopers the first time around. I've since then divorced the book and the movie and can now enjoy the movie for all it's campy fun.

Although now if we're going to pull anime and series into this...

Neon Genesis Evangelion: For all it's flaws I highly enjoyed this series. The main protagonist is actually a fairly typical, traditional Japanese protagonist. The story itself chugs along at a good clip and, as long as you pay attention to detail and keep an eye on symbolism, it's a fairly solid series (even with the creator having a mental breakdown half way through production). While I know there are multiple endings, I tend to prefer the much more subtle original ending.

Rebuild of Evangelion: A reboot movie series, of which they've only done 2 of 4 so far, that takes a lot of the themes, characters, and even whole events from the original series and plays around with them. It's a new look at that old story and the events that could of been. What drew me in was watching the first one after having seen the first series a half dozen times. While none of the plot really changes, the second movie does a lot of that, the small little shifts in tonal inflection and the like made some of the scenes do a total 180 in meaning. I simply had to see what they did, and boy did 2.22 deliver.

Bubblegum Crisis 2040 and Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex: I list these two together because they do have a lot in common in terms of theme and ideas explored, a main one being "What does it mean to be human", even if the flavor of the series has changed.

Record of Lodoss War (and the follow up series, Chronicles of the Heroic Knight): Traditional Western fantasy as seen through an anime lens. Not much more to say about it then that. It's a fun watch if you like epic fantasy.

The Slayers: This is a series that's been a long time favorite of my wife and I. It's a "Dramadey" set in a western style fantasy setting. The first half of each season starts off lighter, with some jokes and it pokes fun at itself and the genre, and as the season goes on it gets more and more serious and drama filled as it comes to it's climax. The fact that the series doesn't take itself too seriously is major points for it.

I saved the best for last:

Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann (or just Gurren Lagann in the US): Such an amazing mecha series. It's got plot twists, big drama, the characters are memorable, it's got great one liners, and by the end it's gotten so outrageous but you don't care because of the way the story is told. It's the kind of series that builds up the insanity and is very self aware of the genre it's in and the conventions there of. The first few episodes where kind of slow because it builds the base that it works from, but put in the investment, it does pay off big time. My wife HATES mecha anime, but I sat her down to watch this and she got sucked in and enjoyed the hell out of it.

Last edited:

Nope, thanks for the link, don't think I ever heard it before. The refrain is familiar, it's probably been in radio background and I never noticed consciously. Can't remember what made me pick NovemberRain. It's very unlike my other nicks, and fairly unlike me, but I've had it for years.

Maybe you remembered the November Rain lyric in the song subconsciously and picked it for that reason, lol :).

re: my ex

Oh hell no. Not for lack of my trying. Random encounter in the parking lot, or I never would have known. He's moved to another continent. I behaved badly, and I completely understand why he wouldn't want to talk to me.

Ok.

Richard Gere (it wasn't DHO)
ah, found it: Autumn In New York,
Romantic drama about an aging playboy who falls for a sweet, but terminally ill, young woman.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0174480/
Perhaps I was in a mood when I saw it; I recall enjoying it, being moved by it. It's likely rather predictable, and the characters fairly stereotypical. Very pretty movie.

I just saw 2 trailers of it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zACckn8ie-8

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/4214107/autumn_in_new_york_movie_trailer/

What's not to like :)? Ok, maybe i'm a sap for movies, laugh :).

Seen it. Amazing movie, or at least I thought so.

Aye :)

You know, I have the opposite problem. I simply can not watch the first Hellsing series now after having tracked down the manga and read all 10 volumes. The newer Hellsing Ultimates pretty much stick faithfully to the manga and, for me, is a much more interesting view. The original anime mangled so much, but it was also made to capitalize on the popularity of the new manga series without it having being finished written yet.

Man, talk about looking at things from a different perspective, laugh :). I never read the mangas, so the original was all I had to go by. Because of what you said, I'm now thinking I may give the new version of Hellsing another chance. I admit that I liked the fact that there was more sexuality involved, it's just that.. well in the first one, it seemed Alucard respected Seras more.

On a related note, I had trouble enjoying Starship Troopers the first time around. I've since then divorced the book and the movie and can now enjoy the movie for all it's campy fun.

I see, heh :). I took a look at the preview.. wasn't impressed. I never saw the movie. But I certainly loved the only 2 books I've read from Heinlein, Stranger in a Strange Land, and Glory Road, so I may be reading the book atleast.. and once I read the book, I may want to see the movie, heh :).

You talked about animes after this, so I decided to make a favourite animes thread :)..
Favourite animes thread

My favorites are Fight Club, Rocky Horror Picture Show, and of course Star Wars (Original Trilogy only)

My favorites are Fight Club, Rocky Horror Picture Show, and of course Star Wars (Original Trilogy only)

Star Wars FTW (For The Win), laugh :). When I was younger, Star Wars was my favourite movie series. Even now, I really like them, especially the last 3 (with Anakin's transformation to Vader being my favourite).

I've seen snippets of the Rocky Horror Picture Show, but never really got into it; maybe one day. RunicWolf shares your fascination with Fight Club; I may see it one of these days.

See I hate the newer movies because I feel they could've been done much better. They should've been about Obi-Wan and Anakin going around the galaxy being badass jedi until something happens causing Anakin to fall to the Dark Side and become Vader. They should've put more into the relationship between Anakin and Ob-Wan. They mention adventures they had in passing but they should've shown it and shown how they developed strong bonds of friendship. it would've made the final battle in Episode 3 so much more heavy and emotional. Also Hayden Christensen was a terrible actor and we didn't need to see young Boba Fett or any of that stuff. Episode 1 didn't even need to exist really with freaking midichlorians and that shit.

Sorry I'm a huge Star Wars nerd so I get very passionate about it lol.

See I hate the newer movies because I feel they could've been done much better.

I have a friend who feels the new ones don't compare to the old ones, sounds like where you're coming from, heh :)

They should've been about Obi-Wan and Anakin going around the galaxy being badass jedi until something happens causing Anakin to fall to the Dark Side and become Vader.

I don't know, I liked it the way they did it. And they do have that more in the animated Clone Wars I think.

They should've put more into the relationship between Anakin and Ob-Wan. They mention adventures they had in passing but they should've shown it and shown how they developed strong bonds of friendship. it would've made the final battle in Episode 3 so much more heavy and emotional.

Movies can only be so long though; I think it was better to focus Anakin's relationship on Padme.. the fact that she just happened to be Natalie Portman was a big plus in my mind :).

Also Hayden Christensen was a terrible actor

Why do you think this?

and we didn't need to see young Boba Fett or any of that stuff.

Well, there had to be some bad guys. He seemed to fit the role fairly well, and considering the fact that he was apparently the original clone, I kind of liked it.

Episode 1 didn't even need to exist really with freaking midichlorians and that shit. Sorry I'm a huge Star Wars nerd so I get very passionate about it lol.

Well, I liked the explanation; maybe for people like you who (I'm guessing) have read the comics or more of the books (I did read one, wasn't too pleased with it though), this would been well worn terrain, but for me, I really didn't know the theory behind the force, so I liked it.

Oh don't even get me started on the Clone Wars series. It takes the previously established canon and rapes it with a lightsaber. Anakin never had an apprentice otherwise she would've been mentioned in the movies. We all know that she has to die because we don't see her anywhere in the third movie. And they have already made the series last longer than the amount of time between Episode 2 and Episode 3. And yes I love the books. I haven't gotten a chance to read the comics yet though.

I just hate that they made Darth Vader, the most badass guy in the galaxy, into a whiny little emo bitch.

Well, there had to be some bad guys. He seemed to fit the role fairly well, and considering the fact that he was apparently the original clone, I kind of liked it.

You're thinking of Jango Fett, the father of Boba Fett. And that whole thing goes against previously established canon of Boba Fett's origins. It's like George Lucas sees all this stuff that he previously approved for the books or even stuff he wrote himself in the original trilogy and then he's like "Oh screw that I'm gonna make something else up that goes against what people have been reading for years!"

On the Star Wars movies, I have to agree with Nerdpower13. I grew up on Star Wars. I loved A New Hope, Empire Strikes Back, and Return of the Jedi. I too am a massive Star Wars nerd (almost as much a Star Wars nerd as I am Transformers). While I don't dislike the plot, or what they tried to do it boils down to one thing.

George Lucas is a terrible writer.

Hear me out on this. George Lucas wrote only -one- of his big original movies, A New Hope. After that he did the smart thing and got himself some help. He helped write several of the others, but he always had someone there to clean things up. George Lucas is like James Cameron; he needs a little help, and by the Gods when he gets it you get things like Indiana Jones, the original Star Wars movies, Willow, and American Graffiti. By himself you get, well, The Phantom Menace.

Of course, that said, the Expanded Universe (henceforth known as "EU") hasn't been exactly all that picky with what gets pushed though. I give the old Marvel comics a pass because, well, those where fairly typical of comics in that age and they where a lot of fun. No, my spite for the setting I grew up with and loved is aimed squarely at the novels.

You see, back in 1991 Timothy Zhan put out a little book called Heir to the Empire. Up until that point the only EU material had been the Marvel comics and 7 novels, and yea, they where actually pretty good for the most part but unknown for the most part. It wasn't until Zhan put out the new novels that shit got real. Star Wars was suddenly on the radar again and next thing you knew there where novels coming out of our ears. The quality of some of those books makes Lucas' attempt at writing like epic masterpieces. Namely it was batha poodo. It's gotten to the point I only read a few things out of the EU, namely Zhan's novels (he's consistently good and it's been noticed*) and the comics set either way before or after the movies.

Now that rant is out of the way, yea, the newer trilogy isn't as terrible plot/story wise. It's the writing and the sometimes hamfisted acting that does it in. The Clone Wars cartoon, however, still amuses me. Captain Rex is one of a handful of characters not from the movies that I enjoy.

*Timothy Zhan created several bits of Star Wars lore. Coruscant, the capital of the Empire, was never mentioned in the original movies. He made it up and used it in a novel. It was so well received that it was one of the few pieces of the EU used by Lucas when he wrote the prequel trilogy. If you are wondering why that's so awesome, do some digging. Lucas tossed 90% of the EU and did what he wanted with the movies, as is his right.The fact he saved that one thing says a lot.

I love Timothy Zahn's novels! Grand Admiral Thrawn is my favorite character in the entire Star Wars universe!

The Thrawn books were one of the few where I was actually cheering for the "Bad" guy because in my mind Thrawn really wasn't that evil. He was just enforcing the law of the Empire which took him in after he was exiled.

Oh don't even get me started on the Clone Wars series. It takes the previously established canon and rapes it with a lightsaber. Anakin never had an apprentice otherwise she would've been mentioned in the movies. We all know that she has to die because we don't see her anywhere in the third movie. And they have already made the series last longer than the amount of time between Episode 2 and Episode 3.

Ah well, poetic license I say, laugh :). Also, as RunicWolf said:
"Lucas tossed 90% of the EU and did what he wanted with the movies, as is his right."

In an ideal universe, only Timothy Zahn quality writers would have written the books and Lucas would have followed them faithfully, but I'm happy with what we got ;-).

And yes I love the books. I haven't gotten a chance to read the comics yet though.

I only read one of the comics; one right before Darth Vader and Luke confront each other apparently; got it from someone who was giving away his comic books, I imagine he either kept the epic confrontation or gave it away/sold it before (and yes, I am assuming that he had it at some point in time, how could he look at the preview of the next comic and not get it, laugh :p).

I just hate that they made Darth Vader, the most badass guy in the galaxy, into a whiny little emo bitch.

He seemed ok to me. That being said, it's hard to compare with James Earl Jones :p.

You're thinking of Jango Fett, the father of Boba Fett. And that whole thing goes against previously established canon of Boba Fett's origins. It's like George Lucas sees all this stuff that he previously approved for the books or even stuff he wrote himself in the original trilogy and then he's like "Oh screw that I'm gonna make something else up that goes against what people have been reading for years!"

Looks like it, laugh :). Ah well. As Morpheus once said, you can always "take the blue pill and believe whatever you want to believe". I like to think of this as not always a bad thing. As my father once said, "the line between the imaginary and the real is more imaginary then real". So in the book Star Wars universe, things are as you say, but not in the movie universe. Personally, I hope there are more movies; as long as they're as good as what's come out so far, I'm ok with him creating alternate Star Wars universes, laugh :).

Back