Danger! Do not read! Politics inside!

Anyone reading teh thread title would know better than to be reading this, so hopefully it gets zero views. Nobody should read this, because nobody wants to go there.

So - to all the people NOT reading this - I'm curious about the overwhelmingly liberal views and positions I see indicated, hinted at, and sometimes openly espoused here. Other than Gypsy, who seems to be extreme right and extreme left at the same time, lol.

Note - I'm not criticizing or condemning anyone's positions on anything, I'm merely getting a feel for the fact that as one who identifies as a very moderate liberal but who feels that todays climate makes him a moderate conservative, I'm greatly outnumbered here, lol. I was raised in a VERY political family, and have access and insights that many people don't as a result, both into politics directly and the media behind the scenes. As a result, I tend to upset a lot of liberals when I inform them that their current pet cause has roots that aren't so pretty and end goals not related to the cause in and of itself. I upset a lot of conservatives when I point out that the things they're supporting are similarly rooted in BS and pushed by the same motivations and often the very same individuals as the liberal ones, lol.

I guess I'm curious to see if people on these bnoards are as open minded with world views as with relationship ones. :)

I myself am truly independent, politically as well as most other ways. On any given issue, I educate myself on it, try and find variety of viewpoints on it, and then make an educated decision. Sometimes I come down on the left side of the spectrum, sometimes the right, most often somewhere between the two, sometimes on a different plane altogether. It takes longer than just choosing a team, but it feels more authentic to me.

I tend to take positions on issues on a case by case basis. Still and all I am generally considered to be way left of most lefties. I try not to describe myself with labels because everyone brings a different interpretation of each label to the table. Instead I describe myself with descriptions.

such as: I am a person who believes that we are much more a product of our respective environments than any genetic or theistic plan. I believe that humanity could easily be capable of self-determination and self-governance, but I believe that a group of conspirators works very hard at stupefying the majority of humanity and figuring out how best to subjugate the majority of humanity to satisfy their lust for power. I consider people who believe that we are predestined to be either leaders or followers --by genetics, fate, deities or what have you-- my ideological adversaries and I work very hard to try to advance my own ideas over theirs.

I'm an independent. In the past I've been a registered member of each major political party (Republican and Democrat), while never agreeing with either on all issues (obviously).

I'm a demanding moderate, meaning I expect facts and rational arguments and I expect all rational viewpoints to be addressed when acting on any issue. That means I'm most often completely disappointed by what passes for political debate these days.

I am registured Democrat, but that is just because I was pushed to far away by Republicans. I tend to think of myself as more Independent. I tend to see myself as socially very liberal and economically moderate. I try to take the skeptical approach which tends to land me in the middle of a lot of issues.

For example, I believe in global warming, but I am against organic farming, locally grown farming, some of the biofuels and some reclycling efforts because I see them as bad for the enviornment. I am very strong on free speech, separation of chuch and state, and government butting out of my business (but not the Libertarian extreme).

But out of all the political discussions I have been in, the most heated one was that I am ok with shopping at Wal Mart. :)

For example, I believe in global warming, but I am against organic farming, locally grown farming, some of the biofuels and some reclycling efforts because I see them as bad for the enviornment. I am very strong on free speech, separation of chuch and state, and government butting out of my business (but not the Libertarian extreme).

Ok. Curious. In what was is supporting locally grown farming bad for the environment. I've never heard of that argument before and would love to know what that's about.

I guess I'm curious to see if people on these bnoards are as open minded with world views as with relationship ones. :)

What do you mean by open minded? As in able to argue their point of view cogently? As in able to accept other points of views?

When I form an opinion about something I do so by researching it. I will respect other points of views, but will still debate and argue my point of view if the situation calls for it. However, I am not easily convinced.

Ok. Curious. In what was is supporting locally grown farming bad for the environment. I've never heard of that argument before and would love to know what that's about.
The basic idea is that it is an inefficiant use of fuel and resources. The cheapest food usually tends to be the most envionmentally friendly since people pay for resources like fuel, fertalizer and land. There is a good Skeptoid episode on this.

Ah - I'd about given up on this thread. Yay for responses!

Yes Ceoli -
Ceoli said:
What do you mean by open minded? As in able to argue their point of view cogently? As in able to accept other points of views?
- exactly. :)

Let's see...I'm not "anti" capitolism although I recognize it's weaknesses, and for the most part I am a political liquid - I take the shape of my container. As long as no one is kicking in my door or the door of those I love and kicking them in the head while they sleep I'm pretty good! Political ignorance is bliss.

Anarchist.
heh. just kidding. Well, these days I would consider it. I have some anarchist friends that make a good argument. A bit of a pie in the sky but interesting none the less.
I have a feeling the definition and depth of liberal and conservative may be different in Canada. So I just don't know what to say about it. I have a complaint about everything political really. I find it VERY hard at voting time. I usually do as much research as I can and then decide...

Instead I describe myself with descriptions.

I'll agree with that philosophy. This thread seems hauntingly similar to another hot one happening right now about terms and definitions.

I am not big into politics or party affiliation, but I do vote and try to take each issue on the terms of its own facts and merits in order to decide my opinion.

The old man and I had a very heated discussion about a city non-discrimination ordinance coming up for a vote next month that has lots to do with gender identity and what should be protected based on how people identify- in cases like these it's extra hard to even have an opinion when you are asked to because, in this case I don't have the personal knowledge to understand how one identifies as a different gender than their plumbing implies.

So- case by case is my method, tho I'm definitely not a republican, that I know.

I started this, and I chickened out on it, lol. I am SO sick of political crap at this point that I don't care anymore. It's all going to hell, and I'm going to make my pile and get the hell outta Dodge before it goes down, God willing. *sigh*

Damn - see - that's why I have avoided my own thread. I was in a good mood until I typed that. :mad:

Back