Fears of loss in a mono/poly relationship

MonoVCPHG

I recently posted a long article about my experience so far in engaging in a polyamorous relationship, while being monogamous. I promise this one will not be as long!

I included the following statement, which I spoke to my partner/girlfriend about after.
"Above all, never feel like the polyamorous person has any less to lose than you."

Yes, I will definitely feel a certain loss when she adds a new lover or sex partner, oddly enough, more so if they are male. I do apply different "labels" to different types of relationships, because it helps me mentally organize (but that is another post). I always tell myself she will find someone, so I am better prepared, whether it happens or not. Again, this is a tool I use, regardless if it is viewed as healthy or not.

I understand the ability to love and desire another person similarly, without a reduction for others. I wouldn't be able to look at her husband without guilt if I did not. I entered this relationship with a complete knowledge of who was involved and in what way. I am the "new guy," in my mind. It is the unknown of another "new guy" that will be my challenge, one that I will face head on and with understanding, but certainly not without difficulty. I know my weaknesses, which will enable me to draw on her, her husband and my own internal strength to overcome them and grow. At least that is what I foresee happening.

Back to my point. I will first deal with loss in the relationship if/when she finds someone else. I will feel loss, most definitely, at least for a while, until I am again secure in her genuine love and continued desire for me. Will an aspect of our dynamic change? I could lie to myself and say I know it won't, but that is not the path to a sustainment of this amazing relationship. Initially, for sure. Permanently, perhaps.

She will feel it, see it. I am an open book, and she knows when I withdraw my energy while I process. Does that mean the intimacy of our relationship will end? Absolutely not, unless I can't handle it. She will love and desire me the same, just like she does her husband. She will probably love us both more-- a concept I struggle with, as well. We will grow and she will be happy, which is paramount to me.

What if I find someone else? I am intimately monogamous, not by choice, or moral or social requirements. I am monogamous because it is my nature. I require a very specific connection to truly desire someone. My physical passion is directly proportionate to my level of connection and intimate love. I only feel that intimate love for one person at a time, which has been proven throughout my life. I don't want to intimately love more than one person, although I would welcome a change in my nature if it meant my life would be easier in a polyamorous relationship. Yes, I would love to be polyamorous, or even just have a much more casual approach to sex, so I could be more at ease, better blend with the amazing people around me, and just have fun. Who knows? Maybe in the future, but that is not my reality for now... *sadness*

If I form another intimate connection tomorrow, it will be at the expense of the one I have right now. In giving intimacy I am all or nothing. Simple and plain. I would no longer be this amazing person's lover or even playmate. I would not be able to share that energy with another unless I take it away from her. She would continue to be my most trusted friend, but I would deny her my passion and intimate love. Would this be a malicious act towards her? Absolutely not, just as her taking on a new partner would not be a malicious act towards me. It would simply be accepting and acting on our fundamental natures. Denial of one's nature is a terrible road to travel. I have been there. Pain is always the result.

So, who would lose more is a question of definites. I might experience a decrease of her intimate attention and perceive she loves me less. She would lose all of my intimate attention, and although my love would still be immense, it would be reshaped. That is definite.

I said I would keep this short... I tried.

Last edited:
I would not be able to share that energy with another unless I take it away from her.

I find this a tremendous fallacy.

If you have children with a woman, do you love the woman less for loving the child? I don't think so. Been there, done that, I love her the more for it and I love the child with all my heart.

If you have another child, do you love your first child less for this one? I don't think so. Been there, done that, I love my wife and both my children with all my heart.

And now that I have a new lover in my life, someone I also love with all my heart, is it so hard to believe that I still love my wife and both my children with all my heart as well?

If so... what is the difference?

CDarklock - thanks for your comment and I totally respect your view. I have learned to accept that people view things much differently. You have to understand that this post is about me specifically, and what goes through my mind and heart. Another monogamous person in the same situation might have a completely different outlook. I accept that as truth.

As an example, some people can approach sex simply as a fun activity that can be very intense and energy-filled. I certainly did, until I tried it from that perspective. It didn't work, for me. The key is, it didn't work "for me."

Thanks again and take care.

You have to understand that this post is about me specifically and what goes through my mind and heart.

Yes, I do. I just don't understand why this is what goes through your mind and heart. Could you explain more?

After all, I also respect your view. :)

I'll have to spend some time processing why, as I don't know. It just does. I was married for 16 good years, although a loss of connection did cause issues at times, so I definitely know I am intimately focussed on one person at a time. I'll have to think about this and, given more time, honour your question with a better answer.

Thanks again.

I definitely know I am intimately focussed on one person at a time.

Let me pass along a little trial I'm facing right now, which is pretty closely related.

I have never had to sit in the same room with more than one woman I loved with all my heart. Over the past two weeks, I've done that several times, and I don't know what the hell to do. I can only kiss one of them at a time. I can only hug one of them at a time. And, what with having only one penis... Well, you get the idea.

I don't know how to be completely and totally devoted to two people in the same room. I'm at an absolute loss. How does that work? What should I do? I hear so many women say, "He kissed her but he didn't kiss me," or, "He kissed her better than he kissed me," and that's frequently a prelude to, "It didn't work and we broke up and I hate him."

I don't have any problem going into a room with one person and being completely involved with that person, not even thinking about anyone else. I can love several people with all my heart. I can have two children in the same room, and love them like a parent, and both of them know I love them with all my heart. But I just don't know how to do it with women. (Or with men, for that matter. It's not a sexual or intimate thing. I don't really know how to balance my friends, either.)

So maybe I'm thinking of your issue differently. Maybe we both have the same one. After all, I can only really kiss one woman at a time, right? So can you. Is that where you see the problem? Not the love and affection itself, but the actual demonstration of it?

My girlfriend would be a much better person to answer this, and she probably will. I am her secondary and essentially she is the focal point of a "V" between me and her husband. I don't have the issue you have, as I only have intimate love for her. She is more closely in your position, as we are often all together, and occasionally there is another friend of hers and his there, as well.

I do my best to respect all of us, and although the affection is there, I interact more like a close friend in those situations. I have zero issue with jealousy towards her husband, and although I am completely comfortable with them showing affection towards each other, I do not expect open affection to be displayed towards me. We have our own very private times for that. In fact, I probably shy away from displays in a teasing and humorous way. My favourite expression is, "You are going to get me in trouble!"

I believe she has read your reply and will post a response herself. She has an infinite capacity for love and doesn't get my inability to intimately love more than one person, either. Oh the sweet challenges we face. But we do it together, all three of us!

Thanks for the discussion.

My two cents

I finally have the chance to add my thoughts to your thread, as Mono's girlfriend. (That seems such a small word, in light of my huge love for you.)

I have to say I love that you are all mine, and that I will have no challenges to face in the future, as I would if you were going to bring another woman into your life that I would have to share you with. It is a real treat to not have to deal with that. However, what I do deal with is the fact that if you were to find someone new, then I would be tossed aside, and made to watch you fall in love again, knowing that I was just your friend (albeit an important one, still, no longer with the closeness I desire to have with you). The jury is still out on whether or not this thought is worse or better than the other. I really try to just avoid it altogether, actually.

I have heard the "You love all your children, so why not love more than one person?" theory before, and I can't say I see how it relates to poly. I can see how it is the closest thing for some to explaining it, but it is not how I feel. For me, it is more easily explained in terms of having more than one friend that fills a different need. I have friends that I like to exercise with, others that I like to have coffee with and talk about my relationships with, others about their relationships... I have friends that I have in my life like a comfortable pair of old jeans that I have loved forever, and ones that I just got, like this season's fashion trend. My child fills a very different place in my heart. Perhaps if I had more than one I would get it more.

In regards to the gentleman with the two ladies in the same room that you don't know what to do with? Hmm... They seem a tad selfish if they are unable to give you space and have compersion for each other. I wonder about the details of this situation and the details of your relationship to both of them. Is one your primary and the other the secondary, for example?

I find, in my V, that I spend most of my time backing away and allowing my men to spend our group time together. I love watching them talk and joke around. Sometimes I get a kiss from my husband, as he is my primary, and I feel as if my secondary enjoys seeing the affection and love he has for me. Sometimes I sneak kisses and hugs to my secondary (making him squirm, I might add), knowing that my primary will not mind and in fact enjoys seeing me sharing love and affection also.

It's a work in progress. I would like to think that we are in a triad, as I know that my two favorite lovers are friends, becoming more and more bonded. They may never be sexual with one another, but their relationship success is paramount to our greater success in making this work. Without their friendship, I would not be happy, and would not be able to continue to be a part of this family we have created. I would have some very hard decisions to make, indeed.

Last edited:
Girlfriend is a very small word, indeed! I wish there was a better one. Hmm... I'll have to think about that, Lover.

I will now step back, so others can focus on your input regarding the sharing of partners in a group. I'll chat with you about other concerns tomorrow! I love you immensely!

Redpepper, I can relate to this:

For me, it is more easily explained in terms of having more than one friend that fills a different need.

When people ask me whether I believe in soulmates, I say, "Sure, I think everyone can have several, :) and they don't have to be lovers to be soulmates (whatever the hell that means to each of us)."

I would love to have what you folks have. My husband is open to me seeing other people, but the "other guy" is mono-minded and freaked out by the whole thing.

Ygirl,

I am truly sorry for the difficulties you are having in forming this relationship. It is important to note that, beyond the "internal" fears I focussed on in my post, there are also "external" factors that may play a part. I do not presume to know the social circle of you or the guy involved, so this is from my experience with the personalities I know in my social environment. I am military, so things can be a bit rough.

My love for my incredible partner/girlfriend/lover makes the external factors completely unimportant to me. That being said, there is the issue of how he feels his friends may view the relationship; this is the egotistical or macho angle.

A lot of guys will judge me for having a lover that has sex with other men. They will think that I am being used, that I am less of a "man," who can't satisfy her sexually. Or, quite simply, they would reduce my polyamory to her being a slut. People that know me would not voice the word "slut," however. I have a protective streak towards everyone I love, in all ways.

Again, I have to reiterate that this is a reality in my social/work environment, but does not reflect the close-mindedness of all of them. It is, however, a real and very powerful pressure. Social pressure and the disapproval of peers carries a lot of weight, unless the relationship is so rewarding that it renders them impotent, which, in my case, it does. I am extremely proud of my lover and her incredible heart.

Maybe you should have him read my posts, just so he can see this from my perspective. Trust me, if he is not completely into this relationship, he will be torn apart by it, possibly without you ever knowing. I am no expert, but my opinions are based on experience, real and felt.

I wish you the best of luck and hope you find what we have. I don't mean a mono/poly relationship, as I sometimes think I am too much work for RP, and that she deserves someone like-minded who could let her explore without fear. What I mean is a relationship that feels as though it never had a beginning and will have no end. I love her dearly. She is my best friend, my most intense of lovers, and I will cherish every moment of our adventure, together with her family.

Last edited:
In regards to the gentleman with the two ladies in the same room that you don't know what to do with-- Hmm.... they seem a tad selfish, if they are unable to give you space and have compersion for the other.

That's not even remotely the issue. If you live with two partners, you will inevitably end up all being in the same room, just in the course of your natural lives. When this happens, there's a problem with undirected affectionate feelings. If I have a romantic impulse, and it's not specific to either partner, there's a decision to be made about where and how to express it.

That decision is not simple, because neither partner can tell that the impulse is undirected. They don't know what I'm feeling... only what I do in response to those feelings.

Interesting thought. I certainly have felt a romantic impulse and thought about how best to go about expressing it. I guess I was assuming that this was a brief thing and that you weren't all living together, but on occasion found yourselves all in the same room. Again, not enough info.

Ygirl,

I am truly sorry for the difficulties you are having in forming this relationship. It is important to note that, beyond the "internal" fears I focussed on in my post, there are also "external" factors that may play a part. I do not presume to know the social circle of you or the guy involved so this is from my experience with the personalities I know in my social environment. I am military so things can be a bit rough.

Maybe you should have him read my posts just so he can see this from my perspective. Trust me, if he is not completely into this relationship he will be torn apart by it, possibly without you ever knowing. I am no expert but my opinions are based on experience, real and felt.

Thank you for your message. We are both about as non-military in our social circles as you could possibly get (myself probably more so).

I've chosen to back off and work on my own self, and let him come to me at his own pace. The only thing I regret is not having kept in touch with him throughout the past 20 years, and there's no way to change that now. I'm not sure if reading the messages on this forum would help, but if it ever appears to me that he WANTS to do so, I will certainly show them to him.

I'm reading the Ravenscroft book now (Polyamory: Roadmaps for the Clueless & Hopeful). It's very easy to read despite the reviews. One can open it up to any page at random and engage... The only thing I dislike about it is the small print. This book is useful for ANY type of relationship or figuring out what it is that makes yourself tick.

Sincerely, the best of luck in your journey, Ygirl. Honestly, I hope you find a like-minded partner. Us monogamous guys are a lot of work. Just ask Redpepper! She loves me like crazy, though. But not as much as I love her. Just kidding. :)

Honestly, I always thought of myself as devoutly monogamous, too. I've never had a relationship where I felt the need to look outside for fulfillment. I've been married to the same man for nearly 19 years. And I certainly didn't look for polyamory, ever. I am happy in my marriage. I love my husband deeply, passionately, whole-heartedly. Our sex life is wonderful.

I'm still struggling to understand how I ended up in a polyamorous relationship. I was *so grounded* in being monogamous. I guess what I'm trying to say is, I thought in absolutes, too, and I was very, very monogamous. But falling in love happened to me anyway, and I don't think it's taken away from any of my relationships. I think it's made my marriage better in ways I hadn't even dreamed of. I'm not saying you don't know yourself, just that sometimes you'd be surprised.

Trust me, I understand how loving more than one person doesn't have to take away from another relationship. My relationship with Redpepper and her husband is based on that. I think it is wonderful, really. Painful and difficult at times, but incredibly fulfilling.

There is no intention for judgement in any of my posts. I have no desire to debate love styles or predict the future. I just want to share.

Redpepper and I just talked about the scenario you described last night. Is your husband polyamorous, too? I am always in awe of partners in established monogamous relationships that can cope with even the suggestion that their partner wants someone else intimately. I was very clear with her in stating that, given a relationship based on monogamist expectations towards intimacy, like my own 16 year marriage, if my wife had mentioned she wanted a relationship with another man, I would have left. No questions asked, no options. I covered that extensively in another post.

Even now, after all I have learned, if somehow I were to end up in a monogamist-based relationship, and my lover made the same request, I would be gone. The difference is, I entered into my polyamorous relationship with Redpepper with a full understanding of its basis. I love her with all my heart and she has just as much love for me. I love her ability to love without limits, and am blessed by her in my life.

Thank you for your comment. I am glad you are bringing so much love into your life. :)

Last edited:
To the best of my knowledge, my husband was not polyamorous. I've asked him a few times over the course of our marriage whether he was interested in finding other women, but I confess that I made it clear that the choice was only available after he divorced me. I was emphatic that I was monogamous and expected the same of any person I was involved with. I am not the best polyamorous candidate ever. Again, I am stunned that I'm standing where I am today.

To be fair, no one said, "I want someone else." To me, it was presented as, "Hey, I love you. We love you. We love you both. We want you in our lives permanently, in whatever way possible."

I don't know if my husband was seeking this. He assures me that he wasn't. He will only do what I'm willing to do. But I think it happened in the only way I would have been open to-- friendship first, followed by growing feelings of love. No one pushed me for anything intimate.

And, of course, no one even implied that I wasn't enough for them. Everyone involved went out of their way to be sure that I felt like they were desirous of me. It's quite heady to feel like three people are pursuing you! There have been a few times when I was quite jealous of my husband's relationship with our other female partner, not the sex, just the time they spent together, and felt that perhaps he would be happier with her. But I've always profited from their time together, because she has helped him understand my needs better and helped us improve our communication.

I think that I would have been like you, that if my husband had come to me and said, "Honey, I'm interested in seeing another woman," I would have come unglued. I can't think of any scenario that would have kept me from crying and screaming and throwing things at him. Even if I had eventually said yes, I would have resented him for not finding what he needed in me. It would have been the death of our relationship, even if we stayed married. This is definitely a case of right time, right place, right people.

I have to run out the door, but I'm enjoying this discussion.

Hi, Lemondrop. I will quote a bit of your other post first.

I was upset and uncomfortable. But what happened the FIRST TIME we all got together as a group? I got left out. I WANT to believe that everyone loves me and this won't keep happening. But what has happened is I feel like:
1) I'm not important.
2) My husband is into this and I can't do it for him. Worse, he didn't even bring his appetite to me afterwards, so he is eventually going to realize that he isn't interested in me.
3) I'm always going to play second fiddle to Wife #2.
4) Because this was all done unintentionally, this is what they REALLY want and they just don't realize it yet.

This comment has caused me a lot of pain and a degree of anger. I must admit there are others much more experienced in this situation. I am pulling away for a bit to see if I have anything to offer, if I can approach it objectively.

I have an amazing polyamorous relationship, and it is very difficult for me to think of the pain some people on here are going through. I am so grateful to Redpepper and her husband. I am very, very lucky, and sad that others are struggling. This is not easy. I feel the things you do, at times. But it is so worth it when everyone communicates 100% honestly and identifies what they need and want.

I am so in love with Redpepper I could bust, and would feel guilty if I didn't know she loved her husband just as much. She does. It is on her face and in her eyes when she looks at him. I love seeing them together. They are sacred to me, which is why this works so well for me, and fills us with happiness.

I hope you are getting the support you need.

Last edited:
Back