Thanksgiving-Don't want to spend it alone!

Lovinglife

Hi Everyone,

I will be traveling back to Massachusetts the week of Thanksgiving for a HS reunion and would love to connect with anyone that doesn't have plans. I picture myself eating alone at a Denny's somewhere at a table by myself and that just sounds terrible.

Growing up in Mass that holiday meant so much to me. I even remember visiting Plymouth Plantation when I was a kid. I know that they have gatherings there on that day.

Just looking for a friend that wants to share that special day and it would be great to meet some people while I am there.

Let me know what your plans are for Thanksgiving!

Hope to hear from you soon,
Debbie

Where in Massachusetts?

I was planning on skipping the holidays this year, but I wouldn't mind giving you a tour of the cheap restaurants (and bars and coffeeshops) in Lowell.

15 Miles Away

Hi YGirl,

I will be in Burlington (which is just about 15 miles away) from Lowell.

Don't skip the holidays! I would love to get the tour...what a fun experience that would be.

You probably know all of the great places that aren't in any tour book. Some of the small mom and pop establishments are the best that there are anywhere.

Burlington is just a couple of towns over.

there are some good Asian places, a couple decent Mexican places, and a Brazilian place. Those are the casual ones.

I am skipping the holidays because those are "holidays" as in, I'm taking a vacation from them this year. If I feel too much pressure to "be festive" I need to take a break. I'd planned to take a break last year but I ended up going somewhere after all.

I reserve the right to change my mind, but please don't think I'm cheating myself. I have done this before and it is very ok.

So this means I have a "date" with you for Thanksgiving and one with Ceoli around Christmas / New Year's. I would have to say that so far I'm not doing too badly :cool:

so happy to see f2f meetings emerging from our funny little snippet of cyber space!!

YGirl, I didn't realize that you lived in Lowell. I went to UMass Lowell and met my husband there.

You should totally go to the Southeast Asian Restaurant in Lowell. It's the best Thai restaurant I've ever been to. It's really not as sketchy as it looks. Although that's really how I feel about Lowell in general.

I still live in the area (Arlington) as well. I'm not sure if I'll have much time over the holidays, but I'm more than happy to give suggestions.

YGirl, I didn't realize that you lived in Lowell. I went to UMass Lowell and met my husband there.

You should totally go to the Southeast Asian Restaurant in Lowell. It's the best Thai restaurant I've ever been to. It's really not as sketchy as it looks. Although that's really how I feel about Lowell in general.

I still live in the area (Arlington) as well. I'm not sure if I'll have much time over the holidays, but I'm more than happy to give suggestions.

I have been to the SE Asian many times but it's not as good (well the buffet anyway) since Joe Antonaccio sold the restaurant to go into the frozen-food business. It is run by a different family now. A lot of the old regular patrons from there have switched to the place around the corner on the same block, across the street from City Hall and the library, next to George's Textile. They don't have as many items, they start closing the buffet at 2 instead of 3 like SEA, and the dishes are not quite so "Death Valley / Inferno Hot" but they are very high quality and they have some recipes that I like that SEA didn't have at all.

Ruby, why don't you and your husband join us for dinner?

It makes me sad to here that SE Asian isn't the same anymore. That was my favorite place to go with my brother (another Lowell alum).

I'd love to join you all for dinner and my husband seemed interested, although he is tragically shy. We have plans for Thanksgiving day, though. Any other time that weekend would be cool, most likely.

I don't think we've set a date yet. I was going to stay home ON Thanksgiving and maybe cook a small chicken in the slow-cooker. I usually get invited places, but every few years I like to take a break. Also, my husband is starting a new job and it's at a hospital, so he might end up being scheduled to work that day.

Restaurants are usually either closed or require reservations on TG, but it is possible that the Asian places will have the buffet open because Asians have to eat, too! The food is not really any worse at the SEA than it was, but they try to go as long as possible before re-filling items on the buffet, and if I don't get there by a certain time, a lot of my favorite stuff is gone. We can eat there, I don't have a problem with it, but we need to get there by noon or it will be sketchy.

Plymouth Plantation

Hey Everyone,

I'm going to try to go to the Plymouth Plantation on Thanksgiving day.
Most of the meals that day are booked already so perhaps I can make
it to one of the buffets there instead.

It will be nice to go there because I haven't been there since around 5th grade. I am dying for some of the traditional Thanksgiving foods that I grew up eating. (Butternut squash, date nut bread, cranberries, etc.)

Perhaps we can hook-up another time while I am there. I will be attending the Hull Holiday Showcase on Saturday the 28th. I will have a table there and will be sharing the awesome Liv International products with everyone.

Take care and we'll talk soon,
Debbie

PLimoth Plantation sounds like a great idea. It will be crowded, I imagine. I have never been there on TG, but I have been there more recently than 5th grade, like a couple of years ago.

Here's a tip. It costs just as much for two adult tickets as it does for an Individual+one membership. So, if you go there twice in one year, there's your membership dues. And you'll be helping a non-profit meet one of their goals.

Back