First Hurt

PickMoreDaisies

I am new to this board but I have found everyone's posts very helpful and enlightening. I am in a mess I guess, but I will explain the situation as best I can...and hopefully just be heard and get some new perspectives. So here it goes...

I am in a long-term committed relationship with my common-law husband of 7 years and we are happier than ever. We have three kids in our blended family. They all live with us. We have both been divorced once. My previous marriage was an open marriage and failed miserably. In his previous marraige they were swingers. Although I do not believe that either of our marriages failed as a result of our particular lifestyle choices, I felt for most of our relationship that adding that dimension to this relationship was just a recipe for disaster.

About five months ago we became involved with a man that we have known for many years. At first it was just playing around but I quickly developed feelings for him and him for me. I have felt liberated in this situation. My CommonLaw Partner...lets call him CLP...has been more than I ever imagined him to be. The communication that it has opened up in our relationship has strengthened our bond. I finally feel accepted for who I am...even loved more because of it.

Although CLP is not bi he felt that the relationship with the three of us strengthened their friendship and enjoyed having this third in our life. While things were good on our front things with the bf were complicated and it became increasingly obvious that he was not able to handle many things. Needless to say it became a very seperate V situation, to the dismay of CLP who enjoys the group dynamic and felt excluded, rather than "one big happy".

I have tried to accept that this person...lets call him SL....does not share a poly mindset. Both CLP and I have made adjustments to our expectations and reevaluated our "rules" to accomodate his needs and comfort levels. While I accept him and his feelings, he seems to not be able to accept mine. Thus the current problem.

I feel that his needs have been so important and both CLP and I have tried everything to not make him feel like a "third". We have included him in family life, had long discussions about what his needs are and how important they are to us. Now he claims that it can never go anywhere and feels that it is doomed to failure. I feel that all of the work was for nothing and now after it all I am left hurt. He claims to love me and every minute that we spend together, yet he sees no future in it.

I am hurt that he let it continue with the idea that it was never going to work anyway. What was the point exactly?

I can't add any more right now...

He claims to love me and every minute that we spend together, yet he sees no future in it.

I am hurt that he let it continue with the idea that it was never going to work anyway. What was the point exactly?

I can't add any more right now...

This is not an uncommon feeling for a person in his situation I believe. I had the same one at a point in my own relationship.

There are things in life he may not have experienced and that is what he feels he will be missing. Has he been married before, celebrated a wedding with his family, raised his own children, experienced a primary family dynamic, taken his wife to a BBQ with his co-workers and felt like part of his community just like everyone else?

These are things he might feel he will never experience in a poly environment...and probably from a "socially" normal standpoint he won't within his relationship as part of a "V".

There is also probably a sense of never having someone for himself which, as much as it is frowned upon here, is a basic need for a lot of people in a relationship. He may also be wondering who else will enter the relationship. Is it an open poly family or a polyfi commitment?

The fact that he can love you and see no future in it is not that surprising. It is how you and he deal with that that is important. If you are both willing to let the relationship continue on its natural path than perhaps you will be able to get as much positive energy and love as is possible. Is that not better than throwing in the towel prematurely?

He may change his mind, he may not. I did… but I also experienced all the things I mentioned and enjoy being in a support role to Redpepper and her husband.

As far as his wanting space from your husband, it would be hard to live separate lives and that indicates he really doesn't want to be in a "v". He is almost pretending that as long as it lasts, it is you and him….an artificial reality if you will. I've done that too but not with Redpepper's husband. There is a certain external embracement that comes into play in this type of dynamic that is injected by people who he may consider his friends. I lost a world of friends…but I knew this path was worth it because I saw a future in it and am willing to accept the "cost" if you will to achieve that. I lost a lot of surface friends but gained one very close friend in her husband.

I hope this gave some insight
Take care
Mono

Hiya, PMD, and welcome to the forum.

I'm really sorry for your pain. :( My heart goes out to you and to your men.

The heart of successful poyamory is free and open communication between people who love each other. I'm glad to see the three of you have invested so much in establishing that. I know it can be hard work, but it's so important. So kudos to you on that front.

May I make an observation? Your boyfriend, SL, does not share your polyamorous mindset. For many people, that by itself would make a successful relationship a non-starter. (There are, of course, very happy and successful exceptions, such as MonoV and Redpepper and her husband.)

Only the individuals involved can make the decision as to what they can and cannot accommodate in thier lives and hearts. Sadly, SL has now stated that he cannot see himself in a poly relationship. I think it speaks very well of all of you that he was able to speak his mind, and that you and CLP were able to hear him. But I know that doesn't make it hurt any less. :(

If he loves you and desires a relationship with you, perhaps he sincerely considered poly and has now decided it won't work for him. Or perhaps he hoped you would dissolve your relationship with your Common Law Partner and become his partner, monogamously. Or perhaps he was willing to explore the possibilities, and this is where the exploration lead him.

If he went into the situation with his mind made up, and was only going through the motions of trying to make it work in order to manipulate the situation somehow, that's pretty low and you have every right to feel used and mislead. But perhaps he really didn't know at the outset how he would feel, and is now simply being open and honest about feeling the relationship has no future. And heartbreaking as it is, because he's decided your V is doomed, it is. I'm so sorry. :(

But perhaps he really didn't know at the outset how he would feel, and is now simply being open and honest about feeling the relationship has no future. And heartbreaking as it is, because he's decided your V is doomed, it is. I'm so sorry. :(

Great point Fidelia!

Who really does at first? I certainly didn't know what my relationship was going to evolve into or how our vision of the future would change our requirements and boundaries.

As goals change within a relationship so does the evaluation of whether it is possible in a mutually healthy way and if it is worth it in relationship to the bigger picture.

This may be what has happened in this case...there is no fault there..just different paths with different requirements to be healthy.

First struggle

I talked more with him today about how he is feeling and it seems like he is in a lot of pain and is overwhelmed with confusion about logistics and how this could all be "OK". His concerns seem to be:

-what happens if the kids find out what is going on
-how can we possibly have a "normal" relationship when it is all so secret
-he doesn't understand how CLP can be OK with any of it
-he can't figure out how he ended up in this complicated situation and just wants it to be "easier"
-he can't even tell his good friend about what is going on because he feels that he will judge him
-he doesn't want anyone to get hurt in the end

Just a note: He has been marrried before and has two wonderful boys 16 and 14 yrs old. He does not want more kids. Our kids all get along very well as they have known each other for years.

After the conversation today I just feel for him. I don't want to hurt him, I don't want to see him struggle with this if he can't handle it. I feel like what we have is special and I want it to work out but not if it tears him apart. I told him that I wasn't angry or critical and it appears that he wants some time to think about it.

-he can't figure out how he ended up in this complicated situation and just wants it to be "easier"
-he can't even tell his good friend about what is going on because he feels that he will judge him

The word normal is a tricky one....normal is established by social norms primarily..He's right..it won't be normal but that doesn't mean it can't be healthy and good.

Once he truly understands that your primary partner is ok with it a huge weight will be lifted. In order to do this I suggest spending time together as a group in social atmospheres, a drink at a pub, dancing, tea at home, whatever.

"Complicated situation"...it gets more complicated usually. But if you push through the work and figure out how to create a mutually beneficial relationship based on true love the rewards can be immense.

EXTERNAL PRESSURES!! - This is one of the biggest issues for a guy IMO. Straight mono guys generally hang with other straight mono guys. They can be very critical of a guy having a girlfriend who knowingly has sex with other men. I get this first hand. "Are you not man enough?" will be the big dig he might face. You can't answer..."well no I'm not" and hope to explain that one. For me it is the judging of the woman I love more than any attack on my own masculinity. People really have a hard time with a woman having multiple partners....I generally am ok with mentioning her husband but don't mention other partners because the assumptions are swift and direct at least initially.
There is a certain embarrassment that is imposed by the looks of others....that will be one of his biggest hurdles unless he wants to live in the shadows of your primary relationship. As I said before...I lost almost all of my old friends and am trying not to lose a family very close to me.

Secrecy - having to hide your love of someone is not a good feeling. That is why I came out early to my parents. That is why I am also feeling the brunt of being somewhat of a home wrecker and general cheating prick in the eyes of those that don't understand us. It takes a lot of love to stand up and take that on and is not something I think should be done lightly. It is not a fair expectation for most. If you are proud of your love you should be able to come out about it...this goes both ways.
Are you prepared to stand by him and support him in that so he can enjoy open love for you if he wants?

There is a lot to consider. I hope you all find what you want in this.

Moving forward with the acceptance of possibilities keeps me sane in that area. Acceptance doesn't mean "inevitability". I just means you come to an internal understanding of the nature of all relationships regardless of thier dynamic and not letting fear hold you back. Otherwise I would never ride my bike for fear of crashing. :eek:

I feel that all of the work was for nothing and now after it all I am left hurt. He claims to love me and every minute that we spend together, yet he sees no future in it.

It is a lot of work! full stop. It never ends it just gets easier as far as addressing possible issues faster and more efficiently the longer you know each other in this light and the more "big" stuff is gone through.

-what happens if the kids find out what is going on

Wow these are all too familiar. I remember similar worries and concerns coming out of Mono's mouth.

-my boy loves mono as a good grown up friend (he is six though and understands that I love Mono and have sleep overs at his house)
-normal is what we make it, not what we are told. As for it being secret? That is a matter for time and comfort
-in time mono saw that it was okay with my husband because no shit hit the fan
-growing and learning about oneself is never "easy," poly pushes us to invest more into our relationships, that isn't easy. But then if life were easy we wouldn't really be living it.
-he could very well be judged, but then, would he really be a good friend? I think not. He will meet many new friends through this that will understand and be by his side if his "good friend" doesn't pan out as a keeper.
-it's not in his realm to control who gets hurt or not... the only way he can achieve leaving the situation feeling good about it is to act according to his own "needs" and keeping others in mind. That should be the root of his communications. He only has control of himself.

He will meet many new friends through this that will understand and be by his side if his "good friend" doesn't pan out as a keeper.

This is really dependant on thier social community and if there is a poly friendly environment. And if there is a poly friendly environment he'll have to deal with aspects of that too...we both know my story. It's not that simple although I wish it was. But we're getting ahead of ourselves here..that's a whole new thread :) Sorry for the tangent.

Last edited:
well I guess I was assuming that they would follow the flow of meeting others like them, letting their secret out and finding new friends because of that.

Not necessarily what will happen though, agreed.

Back