The new spiritual awakening... and poly?

Thanks, Quath. ... Feel free to post comments at my new blog whenever you like. Same invitation to others here.

I love you River, just saying. I too was a "green child" I'm soo happy to here others were too.

This all makes me think of Crystal Children, anyone know of that idea? theory? I read a bit about it when my boy was young. Very interesting and is becoming more and more studied.... it's rather flaky so beware, but I can't help wonder why so many are beginning to wonder what these changes are that we feel happening to our people and our earth.

I'm of the opinion that diligent study reveals that peaking oil and gas production represents a far more precarious, even dangerous, situation than most of us realize. Precarious and dangerous because our present economy livelihoods are utterly dependent on the immediate availability of cheap oil and gas, which -- I think -- will not and cannot remain cheap enough for very long before we have serious and permanent infrastructure failure.

I completely agree with this, though I'll add that another huge, globally transforming problem that is far too under the radar is the rapid privatization of water. This not only immediately affects the economies of many places, but has an immediate and direct effect on the lives and health of billions of people in the developing world.

I completely agree with this, though I'll add that another huge, globally transforming problem that is far too under the radar is the rapid privatization of water. This not only immediately affects the economies of many places, but has an immediate and direct effect on the lives and health of billions of people in the developing world.

This trend is disturbing. This problem was highlighted in a course I took on sustainability in Africa which focused on the environmental problems that are plaguing many there. I will post the title of the book we used. It is about 20 years old but still pertinent.

In poorer areas there is a lack of running water and people (very often women and children) have to travel miles to a standpipe or creek to gather water. The lines to gather water are long. It is a heavy burden to bring back. Nearby creeks are very often riddled with disease.

And so it has become a business to sell water at exorbitant prices. It is not like buying an Aquafina here to quench a moment's thirst. It is buying your drinking water... and your cooking water and your bath water from those who want to capitalize on the situation.

It is unfortunate.

~Raven~

And so it has become a business to sell water at exorbitant prices. It is not like buying an Aquafina here to quench a moment's thirst. It is buying your drinking water... and your cooking water and your bath water from those who want to capitalize on the situation.
[/COLOR][/FONT][/B]

It's also become a source of political struggle. There are countries that live downstream of water supplies that are finding their reserves dried up due to countries located further upstream damming those supplies for themselves. I think pretty soon we'll be finding that most of our wars will be fought over water rather than oil.

A situation was brought up in the same course where a country was dumping their waste near another poorer country and contaminating their water.

The water situation does seems a lot scarier than the oil issue. It is something you find yourself definitely taking for granted.

Auquifers

It's also become a source of political struggle. There are countries that live downstream of water supplies that are finding their reserves dried up due to countries located further upstream damming those supplies for themselves. I think pretty soon we'll be finding that most of our wars will be fought over water rather than oil.
I would be worth noting to everyone concerned that the big corps are also impacting local aquifers - setting up huge bottling operations fed from local aquifers and even draining THEM dry for all the surrounding landowners !
We recently passed a local ordinance prohibiting such operations but surrounding towns/cities must do the same because of the geo spread of those underground aquifers.
It's something all citizen should be aware of and make sure your local governments/councils are also.

Oh, absolutely! Corporations are a huge problem in this. A town nearby tried to fight a bottling company down here in drought ridden Florida and failed. It'll only get worse, and I doubt people are really interested in regulating the stuff.

There's a great documentary called "Flow" that's worth watching about this.

I think pretty soon we'll be finding that most of our wars will be fought over water rather than oil.

There's a lot to be said for the perspective in that quote (above), but I would like to point out a crucial difference between oil (and fossil fuels, generally) and water. Terrestrial water is part of what is called "the water cycle." It is a cycle because water never really leaves the system. It doesn't get burned up -- like oil or coal.

Instead of disappearing, or being used up, water keeps cycling. And so long as it can be filtered or purified -- by natural or artificial means, all is well.

The problem is that (a) fresh water often becomes so polluted that recirculating it for use can be impracticable -- often because too expensive to do so, (b) local sources are improperly used, as in misalocation of precious resources -- this often has an ecomomic class basis, but also ties in with other misalocations, e.g., using lots of water to grow crops for export or to feed animals rather than people....

For millennia, water has been used to carry away wastes and pollutants. The so-called "developed world" does this in a big way by furnishing almost all houses with flush toilets--even in arid deserts, or during drought. Composting toilets are a viable alternative which allows the elimination of sewer/"brownwater" systems. All household drainage could be what is called greywater, and could serve to grow gardens, orchards and nearby urban polyculture.

One has to wonder about people who piss and shit in their drinking water and who insist that this is quite a civilized thing to do.

This was inspired by Manno's post Paradigm Shift to Polyamory. This is what I thought that post was going to be about:

Whether or not people are aware of it, there is a significant paradigm shift occurring on this planet right now. I am feeling it in unusual ways. Synchronicities, parallel themes, people around me adopting a different language, etc.

I feel in my heart that we as a species are coming to a turning point in evolution. Recognizing the bond we all share, just beginning to acknowledge the tip of the mysterious iceberg we call our Universe....

And I wonder how polyamory may fit into this. Poly has been around for centuries, so perhaps not. It just seems to me that being open to loving many is congruent with being open to recognizing that we're all "ONE".

:p My airy-faerie rant for the morning.

roly

This is an old thread but being new here and exploring this wonderful forum I would like to comment.

For some time now I too have felt that there is a "shift" happening. Significant to me personally, the awareness that has enveloped me has brought me to where I am now. Difficult to express in most circles is the fact that this inhibited woman developed into a sexually expressive woman as my relationship to my heavenly Father developed true intimacy. Never in a million years did I feel it possible or necessary to "talk" to Him about my sexuality and my feelings concerning that aspect of my life. Who prays during sex? Sadly, not many have even thought of the idea or if they have it was considered wrong. My relationship with Him, the ability to express all of my hurts, fears and desires & recieving His immense love & thoughts about me brought me to polyamory. Mind you, I was never aware that there was such a word or way of life. I only knew about polygamy. My knowledge of polygamy was limited to the oppression and control of women of which left a bad taste in my mouth.

Outside of myself and in my circle of influence, I have observed minds becoming open, an external awareness of others and the epiphanies of our connectedness they experience. I've seen church elders finally accept exciting new ways of worship, breaking away from the dogma of tradition. I could go on forever...

It's beautiful and exciting to observe in others and experience ourselves. It gives me hope in my heart that one day we can all, justbeloving.

I heard this recently. "Humans are the universe becoming aware of itself."

WOW!! Brilliant observation! The thought that came to me when I read that is... that the universe expressed itself through the creation of humans ... "humans are the universe becoming aware of itself"... would be like coming full circle wouldnt it?

Just a thought, sometimes there is no real logic behind them, but thats what makes me who I am ;)

Quote -It just seems to me that being open to loving many is congruent with being open to recognizing that we're all "ONE". - end quote

That is what has brought me here. I have had my spiritual awakening and was wondering how it will manifest in my love life. one of the teacher's I like Adyashanti says relationships will change from being about sex to being about oneness. So I have started to study tantric sex as I'm very interested in energy and how wonderful this oneness experience is and how to bring it into my sex life. Seems like many men are scared of me right about now. lol There is a large group of oneness blessors collecting more and more as 2012 approaches. you can google oneness blessing or Deeksha if you are interested in the movement spearheaded by Sri Amma Baghavan and the oneness university in India. Serious movement occurring but more needs to help usher in 2012. I can see poly becoming more and more normal at least for me.

This is an old thread but being new here and exploring this wonderful forum I would like to comment.

For some time now I too have felt that there is a "shift" happening. Significant to me personally, the awareness that has enveloped me has brought me to where I am now. Difficult to express in most circles is the fact that this inhibited woman developed into a sexually expressive woman as my relationship to my heavenly Father developed true intimacy. Never in a million years did I feel it possible or necessary to "talk" to Him about my sexuality and my feelings concerning that aspect of my life. Who prays during sex? Sadly, not many have even thought of the idea or if they have it was considered wrong. My relationship with Him, the ability to express all of my hurts, fears and desires & recieving His immense love & thoughts about me brought me to polyamory. Mind you, I was never aware that there was such a word or way of life. I only knew about polygamy. My knowledge of polygamy was limited to the oppression and control of women of which left a bad taste in my mouth.

Outside of myself and in my circle of influence, I have observed minds becoming open, an external awareness of others and the epiphanies of our connectedness they experience. I've seen church elders finally accept exciting new ways of worship, breaking away from the dogma of tradition. I could go on forever...

It's beautiful and exciting to observe in others and experience ourselves. It gives me hope in my heart that one day we can all, justbeloving.

This is beautiful!!

I really like this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jhzj9X8vQBU&NR=1 Sex can most definitely be sacred and spiritual.

I'm glad you've opened up and found a new perspectiveE :)

YES!! This is amazing, I've "known" this since I was little, but there were so few people I could talk to this way. I would extend this beyond humans. Everything is conscious. The Universe is expanding and learning about itself through consciousness.

When you see it this way, the stories of our lives become just stories. And you can hold within you the awareness that you are the Universe, experiencing this life. Love with others is love with yourself is.... love...

relationships will change from being about sex to being about oneness. So I have started to study tantric sex as I'm very interested in energy and how wonderful this oneness experience is and how to bring it into my sex life. Seems like many men are scared of me right about now. lol There is a large group of oneness blessors collecting more and more as 2012 approaches. you can google oneness blessing or Deeksha if you are interested in the movement spearheaded by Sri Amma Baghavan and the oneness university in India. Serious movement occurring but more needs to help usher in 2012. I can see poly becoming more and more normal at least for me.

I looked it up, thanks for the info. How wonderful!

Last edited by a moderator:

I so agree with these thoughts/viewpoints. I see myself as "evidence" that there are shifts happening. Is it "worldwide"? Who knows? The collective unconscious has been mentioned, and if one believes in that concept than changes or shifts typically start with a few and then seem to "spontaneously" happen with more and more of a population/species, e.g. "the 100th monkey."

My personal "evidence". I'm a 55 year old Caucasian female. I was born in small town USA with a stay-at- home mother and "bring home the paycheck, minimally involved" father. Raised in a conservative protestant Christian church, e.g. "born again". Christianity as the only "way" to salvation, to God. Not only was "interracial" marriage frowned upon, marriage between a Catholic and Protestant was suspect, bordering on "unequally yoked"!! Homosexuality was seen as a "sin", an "abomination" against God. If you were divorced, it was abnormal and you were typically seen as a potential threat to couples being a "single divorcee" (female). Remarrying, except if your original divorce was due to adultery, was considered to be committing adultery! (Heck when I was growing up there were only two families in town that were divorced in a population of 2,000!!) "Good" women were not supposed to drink alcohol and certainly never be seen with a "cigarette hanging out of their mouth"! In fact, even men who drank and smoke were considered suspect in terms of their being considered a "good Christian".

Today I no longer consider myself to be a "Christian". My spirituality is more Native American based, as I have Vision Quested, participated in sweat-lodges, etc. My "God/Goddess/Higher Power" doesn't really have a specific name or gender. There is no such thing as "unequally yoked" in my mind related to any race, ethnicity, gender or sexual persuasion/preference. I've been married and divorced twice and certainly am not shunned as a "sinner". My marriages have been based on "equality", not restrictive traditional role based.

Women were "property" who couldn't vote not all that long ago. They couldn't own property, and certainly wouldn't set foot outside the home to work without much disapproval and gossip coming their way. Legalized slavery was a part of our country not all that long ago. Vietnam brought out large amounts of protesters who refused the draft, left their country, etc. (I'm not saying I agree or disagree with this...just that it was rather atypical for one not to do as they were told by the government when it came to "serving one's country" in the time of war.) "Sex" was a forbidden topic. Heck, I remember when I started my menstrual periods in 6th grade, I didn't even know why women had periods! (No sex education or discussion with my mother. It was too embarrassing of a topic for her.) As a child I didn't even know what a female's genitals were called. All I ever heard was the word "penis", related to my brothers. Women as doctors, lawyers, upper management executives? They were certainly the "minority" when I was growing up making my career choices. Females couldn't even wear pants to school until I was in high school...and then not jeans until my senior year in high school. The creation of the birth control pill gave greater sexual and reproductive freedom that my mother didn't have in her early reproductive years.

Polyamory? I never heard of it until about 6 months ago, and now I'm considering it as a part of my life.

Yes, many in our world are still barely existing with substandard housing, food, water, etc. But change it is a coming!

Last edited:
Polyamory and Permaculture are the new spirituality I see coming on so quickly. The first is about loving freely, responsibly and deeply with consensual partners who are into the whole spectrum of loving more, more loving. The second is about bonding, blending and vibrating with Nature . our Mother. So we are incepting a permaculture-polyamorous intentional community network that practices secular spirituality, known as "ENHANCING LIFE". It's so simple when you can focus on common values together. The idea is living for what really matters inside biocircles, extended families. eg growing food...etc We are in New England. pneuma

from italy i may say we are starting in these last year seeing T-shirts or things like that pointing how some kind of foolishness in the couple love-game as it was learn to be during this last thousand years, especially.
still there are not so many input towards positive, constructive options (in terms of polyamory) but good steps in Openness to polythinking.

My astrological 2 cents regarding the seeming shift toward non-monogamy:

Pluto is the planet of death and rebirth, destruction and power and whose purpose is to transform or deconstruct (sometimes destroy) that which is no longer just, valid or serving it's purpose. From 1972 to 1984 Pluto transited the sign of Libra which is the sign of relationships (romantic or otherwise) and of how the self relates to the other. Libra seeks that delicate balance between partnership and autonomy. It is the sign of seeing ourself through others. For those born between 1972 and 1984, whose natal Pluto is in the sign of Libra, a deep and meaningful look at marriage and relationships would be one interpration of this placement in your chart. Transformation of this aspect of society would be catalyzed by Pluto in this sign. So during this transit we saw the rise of the divorce rate and the liberation of women from the kitchen (or other traditional realms)!

Uranus is another outer planet with generational effects. Molly Hall calls it "the provocateur, the bringer of the cosmic wake-up call for both individuals and the collective as a whole". With Uranus in play we must expect the unexpected. It is the planet that rules invention and ingenuity. The great disrupter. Whereas Saturn forces us to be mindful of structures or to work within structures, Uranus would have us throw those structures out the window. This past March, Uranus moved into Aries, where it will spend the next 7 years. Aries is opposite Libra on the wheel and as it's opposite sign it embodies the opposing ideas of Libra: where Libra seeks growth and transformation through relationships Aries is there to go it alone. Where Libra is concerned with the other, Aries is concerned with the self. It is a masculine sign of freedom and autonomy.
Uranus' transit through Aries will activate (at varying times) all those Plutos in Libra!

To my mind, this all dovetails into the shifting ideas of marriage and partnership. I can't speak for global changes but certainly western culture is experiencing a shift. But I do think that all over the globe there are other signs of the shift, polyamory is less in the public eye than gay marriage but gay marriage falls under the same umbrella of challenging tradtional ideas of partnership and we've recently seen many countries declare their support for what was once a cultural taboo.

On a side note, Pluto moved into Capricorn in 2008, where it will challenge the very foundations of our society, power structures and traditions.
More on that from Molly Hall here: http://astrology.about.com/od/plutoincapricornto2023/qt/PlutoCap.htm

Just more food for thought...

Last edited:
Society changes painfully slow and not always in the direction you want it to go. The most important changes are always the ones you make within yourself.

Back