Vegetarian recipes please

redpepper

The holidays are coming and I am making supper for our family.
Traditionally I make a nut stuffing that is to die for! Last year I made a yummy turnip recipe that was both savory and sweet... (I can add the recipes if anyone is interested...)

I just wondered if anyone had something they like to cook that would add to our meal?

A turkey replacement would be awesome as my dear Mono will be out of luck this year as there will not be one... something different and special would be nice though

any thoughts?

A turkey replacement would be awesome as my dear Mono will be out of luck this year as there will not be one... something different and special would be nice though

any thoughts?

Moose....Maca, please man, it's no fair!!

Today is St. Lucia, a Swedish holiday. My daughters always bake gingerbread, and bring it to us wearing the traditional white dress with red sash and a wreath of candles on the head (electric candles!). Many people also bake special saffron buns for St. Lucia. There are tons of recipes online, just google St. Lucia recipes.

We bake a lot of Native American foods for the holiday season. I don't have the recipes because we always go to the library and get them each year. Mollie Katzen's vegetarian cookbooks see a lot of use with us (Moosewood Cookbook, Enchanted Broccoli Forest, Still Life With Menu, etc.).

We just get our recipes online or at the library. :eek:

Hey! No provoking jonnyace!

Out out out! Both of you, you're wrecking my thread! unless you are sharing a recipe? ;)

sorry there RP :eek:

the only thing i can think of (prob. b'c i just had them) are latkes. the trick is to buy a box mix, and add in real potato, that way it has a homestyle taste.

Theyre easy to make, and filling. Traditionally eaten w/apple sauce, or sour cream, but you can put whatever you want on them.

I made a veggie shepherd's pie with mushroom gravy as a main course last Thanksgiving. I also have a great soup with chick peas, parsley and eggs that went over well. Let me know if you'd like the recipes for them.

Oh yes please to the shepards pie! I make one with ground round, but its tasteless. My friend just gave me a recipe for a lental one I haven't tried that looks good. I have a freezer full of chantells that make excellent gravy.

Last edited:
hands down the best chocolate cake recipe is in the Rebar cook book (pg219). I made it last night for the dinner party we went to. It is to DIE FOR! seriously, never made or had one better and I am a chocolate cake addict!

Actually, everything I have made from that book has been really really good.

Isn't all chocolate cake vegetarian?

Now vegan chocolate cake... not so tasty... I mean, it's really sweet and chocolatey and gooey, but it's just missing "something." It tastes...watery... Cake without milk and eggs just doesn't taste right. I have a friend who's vegan.. I could never do it... Vegetarian I could do, provided I had a personal chef, since I would never get all my protein and vitamins, left to my own devices.

I'm going on a 2-month Buddhist course and retreat in Nepal this fall. They provide all your means, vegetarian. I'm so excited to be a vegetarian for two months, without the trouble of figuring out how to be healthy about it!!

Vegetarian Recipes? I make a mean spinach lasagne... even my redneck husband was forced to admit it was delicious. Of course, vegetarian chili is always a classic. Don't bother with that ground round stuff, just use extra beans and veggies (mushrooms, carrots, celery all work). Tacos, using refried beans instead of beef. Veggie pot pie is yummy. I *love* falafels, as well as hummus with anything.

I just want to add, all the best vegetarian dishes I've had were "originally" vegetarian. Trying to take a beef dish and convert it to vegetarian never seems to work out quite right. It can still be delicious, but usually you have to go so far from the original meat recipe that it becomes a whole new dish... I've never been a fan at all of fake meat. I just don't see the point. If you want to taste meat, then eat meat. If you want to be a vegetarian, don't pretend to eat meat :p I stick to this even when you're trying to convert meat-eaters (although I think that should be a personal decision).

Of course, if the motivation is health-related, i.e. high cholesterol or heart condition, it's a slightly different story. In that instance, you probably don't "want" to be vegetarian, you're doing it because you "have to" and then it makes sense (I guess) to "fake it." :p

Last edited by a moderator:
Mmmm, maybe, Schrodinger's. I kind of like the "savory" part of the meat taste, though. So a vegetarian recipe that has that richness is nice.

I agree. But fake meat doesn't have that anyway, does it?

They say mushrooms, like Portobello etc, are good alternatives for that fleshy meaty taste and texture... I can't stand mushrooms, so I've never ventured into big gigantic main-course ones, but it's *cough* food for thought ;)

Mushrooms ARE really great for meaty things. Yummy. Portabellos or baby bellas.

I missed this for the holiday post started here but Field Roast brand makes a field roast that is basically a grain meat with a stuffing in the middle. I don't like the taste cuz it does taste a lot like turkey and I'm not a fowl eater. They also make some really bitchin grain meat sausages. You can find them at Whole Foods.

Ari ~ a Veggie/Vegan

Well since it's almost bar b q season now one of my favourite vegetarian things on the bar b q is portabello mushroom caps with goat cheese and roasted red peppers on a hamburger bun. Now I'm hungry!

-Derby

Back