How "out" are you?

I am out to a few friends. I tried to have a discussion with my very religious parents about polygyny and polyandry in other countries and also biblical contexts and they seemed to think that it was only good if it was a necessity (ie, population inequalities in which the male to female ratio was abnormal--they are strictly against homosexuality). I mentioned that there was a world-wide male to female disparity, but didn't really feel comfortable going any further.

I think my bisexuality would hurt them and they would not understand my lack of jealousy if my husband were to fall in love with another person and vice-versa (female only, in my case).

My father has recently shown me that he has bigoted feeling towards homosexual people and since our relationship has not been close, I fear that any admission I would make about my relationships would sever the few ties we do have.

Mono, that's wonderful news. Sounds very refreshing to be so open with everyone you know. Hope we get there someday.

For those of you who are currently in polyamorous relationships, how "out" are you to other people that you have more than one partner? Do you tell everybody? Only on a need to know basis? What's your criteria for sharing that sort of information?

Hi I am fully out now, to the point that my kids schools know and I turn up with two partners to family events.

It is SO liberating, and for those who can (because I realise not everyone can , or wants to) I recommend it!

De

I'm out with my parents and siblings, but that's cheating. They live on the other side of the planet, and to be honest, I don't talk with them so much. Shameful, I know, but it's a habit I've had for a long time. Same with my siblings.

As for my girl's parents, well we came out to them rather recently! She was talking about a Poly Camp that we were going to with her mum before she knew what she was saying, a mental burp on her part that is utterly unprecedented. You can imagine, that phone call went for an hour of questions with awkward answers. Her father was asking questions, too, and the whole time I was at work! Quite the story to come home to. Her parents took it well enough, but what sucks is they asked her not to tell any other family members. Her brother knows, and a close cousin. So, still can't post it on FaceBook! Bummer!!

At work, I'm out, due to an unusual set of events. I was in 'class' [we have regular training as things change at work] and I was chatting with the trainer. Just the trainer, mind, because I knew him well enough. I mentioned I was poly, he asked about it, we quietly talked about it between ourselves. I didn't even realise at all but someone had moved right behind me to listen in. She asked me a few questions, the conversation spread and, well the grapevine took over once training was over.

I was wondering if I would be approached about it afterward, but surprisingly it just became an accepted fact. Weird, huh?

And of course, every friend knows that I'm open, because I oggle at cuties with them, and always complain about looking for a nice girl or a cute guy in this damn town! :p

All in all I'm pretty lucky in my circumstance.

I never answered! I'm out about being bisexual to anyone I'd consider a close friend. And, since I had a gf while married and that's when I told many of them, the poly thing came out with it. My parents don't know. Mom may accept it but Dad is very homophobic, though I'd like to see either of them TRY and get on my case for being poly. My sister knows but brothers don't. One doesn't need the info and the other has Aspergers and wouldn't grasp it nor react to it in a way I'd be comfortable with. Some other family knows like Ns sister and my free-thinking cousin. Most don't though and, so long as I don't currently have another partner, they don't need to. I don't need the headache and questions unless I have someone worth taking the arguments for.

I'll count them off on one hand, Hubby, "Elric", Couples Counselor & my psychologist... did I forget anyone? Oh and everyone on these forums, lol.

We're out Baby, oh we are Waaaaayyyy out!:eek:

It's all good, I can hold your hand in public places for the first time now. It makes me beam!!!!

I can't wait to tell everyone and post a loud and proud "Facebook note" on how much I looooooooove you!:D

Back