Symbols of commitment

polytriad

http://www.polyamorysociety.org/band.html

Here is a link to a commitment bracelet but I was wandering if anyone had other suggestions on commitment trinkets. The link listed above is a good concept but its a little over the top for my liking as it involves kids and over time it will become unwearable.

I want to do something that represents the poly lifestyle yet is subtle enough for the work place. I want us all to wear these the way a married couple wears wedding rings.

Your thoughts are very appreciated.

thanks

I personally like the idea of braided metal. I've seen it in gold rings. Its permanent intertwined annd held in place with one solid bond. But I think that a symbol of commitment is something that each group should work on together. Maybe you could have a brainstorminng date. Everyone do a little googly moogly (as I like to call it hehe) and you may come out with a combination of everyone's designs and could find a jeweler to merge the idea together... That could be pricey, but its and idea. Or you could get the creative juices flowing and combine different pieces to form one without having a jeweler start from scratch. It doesn't have to scream poly. It could simply be a reminder of each individual in your commitment.

Maybe puzzle rings?

They're made out of 4-6 bands of silver that are technically separate but interconnected and not welded together.

And they're cheap compared to a lot of other jewellery... readily available at your local silver kiosk at the mall...

Or, depending on how your family feels about necklaces (a lot of people don't like them), you could get ones with a matching pendant that you all like.

The four of us have matching bands.

I've always liked the puzzle rings and when Kitten saw them she did as well. Our guys bought each of us one.

There is poly jewelry available. I thought about having the guys buy me a necklace to represent the v I'm in with them. But I think I want to buy it myself as a symbol to show them what it means to be the hinge to me. As a symbol of something I, myself, am declaring.

I happen to wear both the band we all have alike and the puzzle ring on the same finger. Kitten wears them on different hands. Just personal preferences there.

Thank you for all your suggestions I will take all your thoughts into consideration.

I was looking at a bracelet that looks like a wedding band and because its a flat surface so I was thinking about engraving terms that are important to a good relationship.

Example: Communication*Trust*Honesty....etc

mobiusproductsandservices go to their website

Good stuff...I would like to know what you would have engraved on it.

Last edited:
mobiusproductsandservices go to their website

Good stuff...I would like to know what you would have engraved on it.

I love the infinity ones with the black cord, they would make a gorgeous choker. I also love how they're nondescript and subtle, with no fixed symbolic meaning, which means they can have any meaning you want them to.

Last edited by a moderator:
We used a Celtic trinity knot or triquetra. I happened to have a tattoo of one when we met her, and it just became our thing.

Perhaps some kind of geometric pattern that shows your actual configuration, circles/squares connected with lines. Obviously you wouldn't be able to display actual male or female symbols without giving it away. I guess that would have to be a brooch or something, don't know what the guys would wear.

It's definitely possible to do this kind of stealth thing. The Invisible Pink Unicorn is a stealth symbol of atheism, and the logo design is very stylized, looking only vaguely like an actual unicorn. I've worn an IPU t-shirt around my fundamentalist mom and she didn't have a clue. She didn't even ask, but if she had I would have told her it was from a video game or something. Or a logo for a company I did contract work for.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/c/cb/Invisible_pink_unicorn.svg

Last edited:
What we're using

I'm the pivot on a vee; the plan is for each of my life partners and I to exchange wedding bands... I'm waffling between wearing all the rings on my left ring finger, and wearing one partner's on the left hand and one partner's on the right. Not very subtle, is it?

On that topic, I'm also expecting to be collared sometime soon... :cool:

I wear Maca's ring (my wedding band) on my left hand.
I wear GG's ring on my right.

I like this trivia (you can find it on wikipedia)

The finger is always the ring finger, but there are cultural differences whether the wedding ring is worn on the left hand or the right hand....

The right hand is the traditional hand for vows or oaths. It is raised when such an oath is given, so the wedding ring would here show the sincerety of the oath....

In Western cultures a wedding ring is traditionally worn on the ring finger. This developed from the Roman "annulus pronubis" when the man gave a ring to the woman at the betrothal ceremony. According to tradition in some countries (derived from Roman belief), the wedding ring is worn on the left ring finger because the vein in the left ring finger, referred to as the vena amoris was believed to be directly connected to the heart, a symbol of love. Blessing the wedding ring and putting it on the bride's finger dates from the 11th century. In medieval Europe, the Christian wedding ceremony placed the ring in sequence on the index, middle, and ring fingers of the left hand, representing the trinity; God the Father, God the Son, and God the Holy Spirit respectively. The ring was then left on the ring finger. In a few European countries, the ring is worn on the left hand prior to marriage, then transferred to the right during the ceremony. For example, a Greek Orthodox bride wears the ring on the left hand prior to the ceremony, then moves it to the right hand after the wedding. In England, the 1549 Prayer Book declared "the ring shall be placed on the left hand". By the 17th and 18th centuries the ring could be found on any finger after the ceremony - even on the thumb.

In Norway, Russia, Ukraine, Bulgaria, Poland, Austria, Germany, Denmark, Latvia, some countries of former Yugoslavia and in Spain (except in the former Crown of Aragon (Principality of Catalonia, Kingdom of Valencia, Kingdom of Majorca and Kingdom of Aragon) the wedding ring is worn on the ring finger of the right hand. In the Netherlands, Protestants traditionally wear their engagement ring on the ring finger of the left hand, and their wedding ring on the ring finger of the right hand (a practice which is also widespread in Germany), whereas Roman Catholics do the opposite. In the Dutch-speaking part of Belgium, the wedding ring on the ring finger of the left hand is traditional among Roman Catholics living in the provinces of West Flanders and East Flanders and in part of Limburg, but not elsewhere.....

In the United States, United Kingdom, Ireland, Canada, Australia, and many other countries, an engagement ring is worn on the fourth finger of the left hand. The tradition of wearing a ring for engagement originated from the Egyptians, who believed the circle was a bond between the two people who were to be married, but was initially first practiced on the fourth finger/ring finger by the Romans, who believed this finger to be the beginning of the vena amoris ("vein of love"), the vein that leads to the heart. The custom in Continental Europe and other countries is to wear it on the right hand; one historical exception arose in monarchical regimes, in which a nobleman entering into morganatic marriage (marriage between a high noble and a lesser noble or a non-noble) would present his left hand to receive the ring (hence the alternative term "left-handed marriage" [Ger. Ehe zur linken Hand)....

Christians, or traditionalists wear the ring on their left hand, while Orthodox Christians and Jews traditionally wear it on their right hand....

The left hand is also used for cultures that believe in the vena amoris or "vein of love" that is believed to be found in the left ring finger.....

;)

Rings as anchors

When my husband and I first opened up this relationship (I've been poly most of my life, he's new) I found that I was thinking of D.H. when I was with A, and A when I was with D.H.
I'm a kinesthetic person, so I picked one of my rings that seemed to fit A and wore that on my right index finger. I have a simple gold band on my left ring finger for a wedding band. When I was with either, especially in moments when confusion would be very bad form (ahem) I would touch the appropriate ring and fidget with it to anchor me to that relationship.
I now have another man, B (and it amuses me to no end that their initials are lining up like this). A has always been more of a friend with benefits. We talk, we play, we shag the daylights out of each other, but he is very comfortable with the role of "stunt cock." B and I have a much more emotional relationship. I can see myself having kids with B in the future. A I would just like to be around so he can tell them stories and pass on wise words (She's an adult, she doesn't need rescuing).

So, D.H. gets a wedding band, A has a ring of frogs on the right index, and B has a claddagh on my right ring/middle finger with the heart pointing in. the fingers vary because if it's chillly out it slides right off my hand. I've also lost a bit of weight and have to wear another ring distal from my wedding band because I've flung it across a room in conversation. Sometimes I also wear a plain silver band on my right thumb that I set an intention or motto to, kind of like a string around the finger. I want to get it engraved, but I keep changing my mind.

And then there are days when I take them all off because I want to be my own for a little while.

Although LR has a wedding ring ( that I designed) Im also making her a collar to be worn everyday. I have a design for a very formal collar ( that would only be for special occasions) but Im not good enough ( yet) to make it. I could have it made but < shrug> I like to be unique and LR deserves special treatment.

I have a tattoo of a set of rings,a band of thorns ( around my arm) and a heart. This symbol is to remind me that love and marriage comes with a price and a pain.

Peace and Love,
Maca

there were a few occasions my ex partner and i discussed symbols of commitment, one thing that came up was rings.
i never really looked into it and neither did he but on that note since you started a discussion on it i looked online about it and here's and idea
maybe something with Celtic knots perhaps? they have various meanings a cpl of the popular interpretations of this design include
Past, Present, Future
and
Power, Intellect, Love
I've also know it to simply symbolize "forever"
here is one such ring (but I've also seen the symbol on various other jewelery.)

Search for: Doolin Craft Triple Knot ring with amethyst stone

Last edited by a moderator:
Link Policy Reminder

Just a reminder to all members:

In accordance with site guidelines, Non-poly related Commercial Links are not permitted in public threads on the forum.

We know it's tempting in a thread such as this...so if you want to direct someone to a particular product, or site, please direct them to it in the form of a company name, or search term that they can use to locate it.

Don't hesitate to ask a moderator if you have any questions.

Thanks for your cooperation in our never ending war on spam.

-ImaginaryIllusion

Last edited:
sorry guys, my bad. wasn't trying to advertise only wanted to find a random pic of a ring online which showed what i was talking about...
oops.
but yes, just google images celtic trinity knots and you should find various rings and symbols i'm talking about.

Back