Evidently Wikipedia is Anti-Poly

WrmHrtdDaddy

This was posted on a site today about this performer and her song

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rs7E8HSgQy4
Evidently Wikipedia is Anti-Poly

by Matt Troy 1 minute ago

"So my primary found this really neat poly song "Boyfriends Girlfriend" by Must Be Tuesday, a regional signer/songwriter from Canada. It can be seen on youtube at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rs7E8HSgQy4

So I went to Wikipedia to find out more about this Must Be Tuesday whom I had never heard of....no article. Thats odd, wikipedia has almost everything. And I saw that someone had requested an article on her and yet nothing.

So I created an article for her with the information that i had, albeit not much, mostly paraphrased from the artists website.

Within six minutes of creation the article was tagged for deletion. :confused:

Hrm...Evidently Wikipedia is anti-poly. I guess I wont be donating to them anymore."

This seems to be the reason why:

This seems to be the reason why:

CielDuMatin:

The reason given for the page being deleted was "Article about a band, singer, musician, or musical ensemble, which does not indicate the importance or significance of the subject"

One of the conditions of inclusion is that something written about has to have some significance. So no, Wikipedia doesn't have "everything". In this case, the reason for deletion indicates that the article gave no information as to how this artist reaches any significance - one YouTube video does not do it (otherwise I would have a Wikipedia page).

There are numerous pages deleted from Wikipedia every day for lack of significance. Let's not start a conspiracy theory against poly where there is nothing plain. If you read the aritlce on Polyamory you will see that it gets quite a treatment. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polyamory

In conclusion, I disagree with your assertion.

Garou:

Hmmm. Wikipedia appears to have a significant and relatively balanced article on the topic of polyamoury.

It also has numerous articles about personalities that an openly poly such as Tilda Swinton.

The comments on deletion about the stub for Must Be Tuesday appear to suggest that the reason was the article did not make clear the significance of the group, so as to warrant them having their own individual entry.

So it would seem you might have jumped the gun there and they are not so anti-poly.

An insignificant artist for an encyclopaedia doesn't mean they have anything against poly. For a start, it is a page about a musician. The most important thing on the page has to be about music. I believe the artist has to have at least recorded 2 albums or similar to be included as significant enough for their own article.

I like the song. It's cute and fun.

All her music is available for free download on their website too. I'm considering ordering the messanger bag, half because of the song, and half because of a joke between my wife, my kids and I where they ask me when dinner will be ready, or when I'm going to do something, or when we're going somewhere and I always answer Tuesday.

It's actually more of a joke for me, since it annoys the rest of my family, but I laugh anyways.

Back