anonymity in posts

IsntLifeFun

I understand anonymity and all, but reading threads where people are given arbitrary letters instead of fictitious names makes it difficult for me to follow along. Anyone else have this difficulty?

I.e. I'm seeing A who is married to B who is also dating C. And I'm married to D. If I start to go into details, then, to me, it starts looking like an algebra problem.

I humbly suggest that anyone thinking about doing this, at least consider using simple pseudonyms to help prevent confusion, and identify gender. Harry, Sally, Dick, and Jane for example.

PS I like algebra, too.

I agree, IsntLifeFun, that letters instead of pseudonyms makes it harder for me to follow what is going on. It would be nice if people made up nicknames. That's one of the really fun things about this forum - you get to make up cool nicknames for the people in your life!

So, while I wouldn't want to require it, it would be lovely to have more nicknames than letter designations.

I hated algebra. Geometry was ok.

Last edited:
A little fun I have with my dating is that stage of a relationship when I feel we actually have something that's going to continue in my life -- that's when I give him an alias for this forum! Oh, and I put a lot of thought into it, too, so that it reflects his personality.

Gosh it took me 18 months here to even come up with a pseudonym for my primary.

Now Ive got 2 new guys whose names both start with J. J1 and J2. I have no idea what to call them! Smoochy and Hottie? lol

Took me a while to really get into the nickname thing at all. I like calling people by their actual names. But for the sake of anonymity, you're almost forced to. =P Thankfully, most people I know have some sort of name they go by on the internet. My own being "Somegeezer". I also use "Solid Conscience ~ Liquid Mind", or shortened to just one or the other. Almost trademarks of who I am. I think it's great when a name can show your personality. =]

I've had fun picking fake names for the people in my life. Some of them I chose without thinking much about it, some have more meaning. Using pseudonyms that could be real names ("Jake" versus "Huggybear") works really well for me.

i'm not really anonymous. but i agree, letters make me feel like it's an algebra problem! and they make it really difficult to follow long posts.

So true ... especially if it's the hundredth post with a person abbreviated with 'J' in it ... -.-' I am not that creative when it comes to this, but even I came up with some nicknames:D I find it really hard to follow when to many first letter abbreviations are involved.

My loves get nicknames, but people who are just friends who happen to know don't. If I'm only going to talk about them once or twice ever, it's just not worth it to me to come up with a nickname for them.

Hmm. anonymity. seems like the need for it might be less than it usually is on the net. suppose i tell you my real name is george. how is anyone going to trace me from that, or stalk me or whatever? do you know how many georges there are in the world? i think the number of programmers who could hack my member file are few, and once there, they can't find a street address that isn't typed in.

am i being like duh, everybody knows that?

When I first started posting, I wasn't really in the mood to put too much thought into what I would call people, so I just went with their real first initials... I suppose since people don't like letters I could come up with nicknames. Too bad I lack all creativity for this kind of thing.. LOL

I just refer to the ladies by their role in the relationship on places that are public, but when there are only the 3 of us, that's easy to do, husband=wife=girlfriend, I can see it getting more complex, and looking like a twisted algebraic equation with more people involved.

mostly, I just consider myself lucky.

Back