Curious about polyamory

Curious77

I am trying to get more information on polyamory from the first person point of view. So far, from what I have found in articles and such from the web, I really appreciate and respect the values and ideas that the polyamory community has towards each other and others. I am writing a research paper for my college english class and I would love to be able to talk to someone about their personal views and values on polyamory. I hope no one is offended by me coming on here and asking this, because that is the last thing I want to do. So, if that is the case, I appologize.

I am trying to get more information on polyamory from the first person point of view. So far, from what I have found in articles and such from the web, I really appreciate and respect the values and ideas that the polyamory community has towards each other and others. I am writing a research paper for my college english class and I would love to be able to talk to someone about their personal views and values on polyamory. I hope no one is offended by me coming on here and asking this, because that is the last thing I want to do. So, if that is the case, I appologize.

Remember there is no "THE polyamory community". My suggestion is that you read the forum and try to include as many "samples" as possible in your research. You will find that many people on this forum and elsewhere don't have the same "values and ideas" toward each other and others. Don't take one or two or three people's experiences and make it out in your paper as though conclusions can be drawn about polyamorous people in general just from those stories.

Definitely agree with BoringGuy - spend the time to read the "Life Stories and Blogs" section and you will get a great cross-section of the different types of poly relationships that are out there, and some of the typical issues that can come up. Bear in mind, however, that this is a skewed sampled - there are a large number of poly folks who are quietly "getting on with it" who never ever post to an online forum. most folks come online to post when they have a problem, so I think that you will see a disproportionate number of posters writing here who have issues.

You will get lots of impressions of personal views and values from reading there..

I'd be happy to answer any questions you have with the caveat that they would only represent one poly-bi-girl's personal view. You can read about how I started on my Journey to Poly in my blog.

My initial poly-type values come from reading Heinlein from an early age. Other people come too poly through pagan or spiritual beliefs. Others fall into poly due to circumstance. Some come from the swinging side of things. There are many roads to poly and no two are exactly the same. The poly that they practice will be unique to the people involved.

JaneQ

I'm also open to questions, although it might help other decide whether they are or not if you provided the questions you're planning to ask, or a sample of them.

I am open to answer your questions too... But my views are my own and I can not speak for others.

I am a straight vanilla poly woman hinge in a v between two monogamous men. One being my husband of 11 years and my boyfriend of 6 months.

I know no other poly people in real life.

Back