Poly-friendly songs & books

Hahaha, a very 80s video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DuULcaAypnA

I've been trying to tell you -
I've been putting it off, putting it off.
Can't wait any longer.
You've been good to me
And that only makes it harder
To say what I gotta say.

You gotta know I didn't plan it.
It was the last thing on my mind.
How can you love two people at the same time?
Oooh, oooh!
Now I don't wanna lose you
But I can't give him up!

I know it's unconventional,
Radical but practical -
Why can't the three of us live together?
It's a culture shock
But it's the only hope we've got!
Tell me, why can't the three of us live together?

If I could go back and undo it,
If I had a time machine,
I'd make it unhappen like a bad dream.

But honey, you gotta know, I didn't plan it.
It was the last thing on my mind.
How can you love two people at the same time?
Oooh, oooh!
Now I don't wanna lose you
But I can't give him up!

I know it's unconventional,
Radical but practical.
Why can't the three of us live together?
It's a culture shock
So tell me, why can't the three of us live together?

You're not taking this too well -
It's out of the question,
I can tell.
It's not gonna work, is it?

Oh, I know it's unconventional,
It's radical but practical.
I don't want to lose you.
No, but I'm not gonna give him up! No!
It's a culture shock
Tell me, why can't the three of us live together?

–Olivia Newton John, Culture Shock

Last edited:
Ugh. DH just sent me this. Suzanne Vega My Favorite Plum lyrics.

I'd forgotten it and this video is so charged. Captures that horrible! Wonderful! Horrible! Wonderful!

"Ack! My honey is out dating with my blessing because I want to be Open!" between and betwixt feeling.

Kinda erotic pacing floor/weird while you wait for the date to be over with the new person.

Or so it seems to me.

GG

The Wheel of Time series (haven't read it-my 12 year old told me)
Outlander series has a subset of characters who have a poly triad.. or V...? (great series)
Kushiel for certain (great series)

Outlander series has a subset of characters who have a poly triad.. or V...? (great series)

It's a "V" (Book 6 Snow & Ashes), then again there are a few others including the main character from the beginning (she wears 2 wedding rings) and then there is Lord John, even before book 7 :p

Unfortunately the poly aspect in this series I love didn't continue nearly as long as I would have liked, but there is something touching about the V with Dena-Richard-Kahlan at the beginning of the Sword of Truth series by Terry Goodkind. There was a scene that was particularly moving and showed the deep connection between Dena and Kahlan as (sort-of) metamours that was amazing. There are also a lot of other relationships between Richard and several other women throughout the series.

Pretty self-serving, but I just published a novel called "Mr. and Mrs. and Mrs. West: A Love Story" which is a secular poly novel.

one of the first books I read with a poly relationship (that I can remember), is Freehold by Michael Z. Williamson it remains one of my favorite books of all time

Poly-friendly love songs

Hey! I collect... er, hoard... music; love finding new songs, love making playlists, etc... but I've been getting frustrated recently. An awful lot of love songs seem to focus on the idea of a "one and only", which doesn't mesh well with poly... and also, a personal pet peeve- the idea that true love is synonymous with "forever".

Usually I ignore it, but like I said, it's been getting to me for a little while. Has anyone else found good songs that are a better match for a less popular/"perfect"/mono version of love?

I'd like to give an example, but I can't think of any! :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Snake River Conspiracy's "You and Your Friend". :)

There's always Type O Negative's "My girlfriends girlfriend". They actually have quite a few songs about non-monogamy, though usually through the lense of infidelity :/ Still, kinda hard not to like some TON.

Phoenix.

Hey! I collect... er, hoard... music; love finding new songs, love making playlists, etc... but I've been getting frustrated recently. An awful lot of love songs seem to focus on the idea of a "one and only", which doesn't mesh well with poly... and also, a personal pet peeve- the idea that true love is synonymous with "forever".

Usually I ignore it, but like I said, it's been getting to me for a little while. Has anyone else found good songs that are a better match for a less popular/"perfect"/mono version of love?

Not to be the naysayer/finger-wagger here, but... I'd argue the problem has less to do with songs not being about poly, and more about most songs being poorly written. Pretty much any love song containing the words "forever" or "one and only" that is not told from a (specifically intended) very naive sensibility is probably not winning any lyrical awards to begin with.

Again, not to be a judgmental jerk.

Most of the songs I've heard that are specifically poly are either A) sorta novelty songs (AKA anything with the word "polyamory" in the title), or B) more about how unusual or unattainable the situation/wants of the protagonist are...

But if you're just looking for really awesome love songs that are more honest and complex, pretty sure nobody does it like John Darnielle from the Mountain Goats.

http://youtu.be/Est_Y0JsNL0

Not to be the naysayer/finger-wagger here, but... I'd argue the problem has less to do with songs not being about poly, and more about most songs being poorly written. Pretty much any love song containing the words "forever" or "one and only" that is not told from a (specifically intended) very naive sensibility is probably not winning any lyrical awards to begin with.

Again, not to be a judgmental jerk.

Most of the songs I've heard that are specifically poly are either A) sorta novelty songs (AKA anything with the word "polyamory" in the title), or B) more about how unusual or unattainable the situation/wants of the protagonist are...

You're not being a jerk! :) I completely agree with you. I'm not looking for songs that mention polyamory, but just some less "poorly written" songs, as you say ;) A lot of songs I've been hearing are (unintentionally) naive, and it's particularly annoying me that they involve so many monogamy-fairytale assumptions.

But if you're just looking for really awesome love songs that are more honest and complex, pretty sure nobody does it like John Darnielle from the Mountain Goats.

http://youtu.be/Est_Y0JsNL0

Thank you :) I'm trying to get a big collection (hopefully I can replace a lot of the songs that bother me in my playlists now :rolleyes: )

Back