Bi = Poly?

I didn't even really come into my own in terms of claiming bisexuality before I ventured into researching more on poly but for me, it makes sense because I'm more interested in other ways of developing relationships outside the traditional realm. It just suits my needs and fits my life better than monogamy ever did or can.

I've been reading posts on here for coming up to a year now and there's something that keeps confusing me.

So many people's posts include some sort of I'm bi so it only makes sense that I'm poly, or a partner explains that they only just found out that their partner is poly but they shoud've expected it because their partner is bi.

I don't get this.

In my experience, being bisexual doesn't make you more likely to be poly.

I've seen loads of posts where people explain their situation as 'I'm in a f/m relationship but I'm bisexual so I need a woman in my life as well.'

I guess I don't really understand. I'm bisexual myself but that didn't make my transitioning from a mono to a poly lifestyle any easier.

^This!

So, I'm bi-, and have been in a mono relationship for nearly 15 years, married just shy of 10. The only reason, I think, that being bi impacted my world is that I wasn't really expecting to fall for a girl (since I don't have many female friendships, and I only fall for friends)...and my best friend is both a girl and poly.

I was happily bi- and mono for most of my life. This is, by far, harder than the bi- issue.

Back