Open Relationships Without Limits

Do you actually have open relationships without any kind of limits?~

• Total voters
Well, it is good to know what you want. Someday, when you actually find yourself in one or more relationships, you can come back here and let us know if it worked out the way you wanted it to. Just remember that ideals are something to strive for, but that doesn't automatically mean they will or can be achieved.

Agreed.~

I put "other." My husband is aware I have relationships outside the marriage, but he insists on Don't Ask, Don't Tell. If I get to a point with someone where strong emotions are involved, as in I want to spend nights, I want them more involved in my life, I am to tell him, and we'll take it from there. At this point, he wants no involvement with my lovers. He would much rather I confine myself to women, as he is fairly comfortable with the idea of me with another woman, less so the idea of me with a man. However, that's not a "rule," just his preference.

I don't love DADT, but we've only been "open" a bit over a year, so I'm hoping for a bit more openness in the future. I'm willing to experiment within these confines for now. Throughout my early twenties, I had several completely open relationships, and those were a bit too much for me. I require a lot of attention, and I felt unsafe and unloved with partners who had several other partners. Of course, I was young then and didn't know how to set boundaries very well. Still, I think my ideal would be to have just two committed relationships, with stable metamours. For example, I could see myself happily dividing my time between my mono husband and a long-term girlfriend who has a spouse. But who knows how this will all work out.

Back