Polyamory in television shows

It is a great show !
If you like Zach Galifianakis, ( The 'Fat Jesus' from The Hangover) then you will love this show. Also Ted Danson, and many other mainstream actors.

SPOILERS

*sigh* Just watched the season finale.

I was so disappointed that they didn't consider going the poly route, especially since Bill and Eric have been getting along so much better than normal. Of course, I still think Eric would make a terrible metamour ("See, Sookie? Bill's ok with it!"). But it seemed unrealistic to me that not one of them at least even suggested it.

Maybe next season?

I agree...I soooooo wanted them to at least consider poly.....

True Blood (both the show and the books) is ideal for some poly, it's a shame it never quite seems to reach the point of Sookie trying it. I wouldn't have thought Bill would be too good at sharing her but maybe.

I did however see an episode of The Mentalist (?) that had a poly couple in it. Wife was dying, husband and boyfriend both could have done it. Polyamoury was touched on, discussed in brief, and then moved on. It wasn't relevant to the case.
I liked how the writers hadn't made the people participating in the unusual arrangement the "baddies", which is what I was expecting.

I loved this idea in the show. I also really love Grey's Anatomy's relationship dynamic with Sloan, Torres, and Robbins.

The situation was originally presented as a lesbian couple wanting a baby and their 'friend' wanting to be the sperm donor.

It came out that in actual fact they were in a polyfi triad.

(of course the docs all had differing opinions of "that's wrong" to "more love to go around")

Turns out that one of the women was not able to either carry a baby or produce eggs.

Their family rules said that all decisions had to be unanimous.

She decided that since she couldn't be a part of it, there would be no baby.

The man and the other woman really wanted to carry on and move forward and that caused some issues.

The woman unable to have babies decided she loved her partners enough to put aside her discomfort about potentially being left out because the other two would be the only ones involved in procreating and go ahead with the baby idea.

The woman able to have kids said no - she loves her partners enough that she wants EVERYONE to be happy, EVERYONE to be 100% comfortable - that she chooses their family - she didn't want her partner to compromise.

The girls made up. All was happy happy joy joy - they would adopt or find some way to make a family work for all of them :)

The man then said no - he wanted to have his own biological child and that it was important enough to him that he didn't know if he could choose them over the potential child.... (that's the part I didn't like)

That was the end of that storyline. I liked some of it, didn't like the other part, but meh - its tv :p

Ah, I see... Well, it's realistic at least. I can totally see all of that happening in an actual triad (I've seen similar things happen in couples). I don't think a positive representation of poly needs to make it look 100% perfect and ideal so I'd still say it's a positive representation... Of course I understand being sad about how it turned out in the end.

I thought they did a great job of portraying the triad as a 'normal' relationship. Sure, at first the main characters (some of them) reacted very negatively, but as soon as they got used to the idea they supported the poly people just like they would any other patients.

Yeah, I actually love this depiction. It portrays them as real people with real struggles that are about FAMILY... not just about sex, which is what poly can be sensationalized as. And it takes the focus from "omg, is it right for them to have multiple relationships??" to "omg, is it right to value a chance at a biological child over your own partner??" (which, hey, that could legitimately be a tough call... I would counsel them to open up the triad personally, why do they have to be exclusive?),making poly itself a non-controversy in the end. Awesome. :)

I remember once trying to develop a flow chart to see just how complex such an arrangement could get. It was possible to have a closed circle of six individuals, but it was also possible to have a tangled knot comparable to the Hapsburg family tree.

According to Phlox in A Night in Sickbay (season 2), his network has 720 familial relationships, 42 with sexual possibilities. I'm assuming he'd only count the people he interacts with, however, since technically all denobulans in existence could be linked to one another that way.

It seems he's also allowed to date outside of his three marriages, at least while he's away from home, as when a woman from the ship hits on him, he tells her he has three wives, but doesn't use it as a "so, you see, I can't date you" line, and is only informing her because he feels she doesn't realise the cultural gap between them.

I'm a huge SciFi fan. Currently into the John Ringo series "Lie free or Die" But I and my lady have a huge range of tastes in the Scifi market. Especially the more realistic the better.

Back