Facebook: new "open relationship" status?

SchrodingersCat

Has this been around for a while and I just didn't notice?

I just saw a friend's profile that said "In an open relationship with _____."

It's about bloody time!!!

but GAH! You can only be in one at a time! What the heck is the point of allowing open relationships, if you can only be in one??!?

Just for shits'n'giggles, I tried to be in an open relationship with my alter-ego facebook account (which existed only for playing those stupid games) and it said "Mercedes is already in a relationship"

yeesh.

Relatioships + helps, but it's an ap, not the actual FB account, and it doesn't work very well in my experience - the 4 of us have been trying to get set up on it and it keeps messing up, lol.

On Facebook, the female part of my couple has "It's complicated" for her "Relationship Status." He has "In an open relationship". I'm "Single".

I have a poly app that makes it so I can have more than one partner and say I'm poly. I just don't use it cause of relatives and I figure those that know, know.

I think I just have it blanked out with nothing.

I noticed it a while ago, not sure how long. And oddly, as open as i am in life, I am not sure I would advertise on such a vanilla site...hmmmmm

It's been like that for as long as I can remember but I don't like how it only lets you put one person in "It's Complicated" and "Open Relationship". I have mine set to "Married to..." because I am indeed married to him.

I have a poly app that makes it so I can have more than one partner and say I'm poly. I just don't use it cause of relatives and I figure those that know, know.

I think I just have it blanked out with nothing.

Oh, is that how you get it to say "Looking for: whatever I can get"? I thought that was a Canadian thing!

It's been like that for as long as I can remember but I don't like how it only lets you put one person in "It's Complicated" and "Open Relationship".

Yet another reason why I don't like disclosing my relationship status on Facebook.

OMG thank you for posting this! i never even realized it was there... i just went onto facebook to check, and there it was. ABOUT TIME! i know i know, the term "open" relationship can have negative connotations to some people but i'd love to be able to post on facebook i was in an open relationship and then explain to people about poly than just say "in a relationship with" it is also uch better then saying "its complicated" :) hoooray!
about time :)
facebook just went up a few notches on my scales ;-)

It's been there since the site started, I believe. I don't put too much faith in that particular section, since you can be in a relationship with the same person listed as a sibling. :rolleyes:

(I have a 15yo cousin who discovered this because she constantly rotates "siblings" and love interests among her "BFFs".)

'd love to be able to post on facebook i was in an open relationship and then explain to people about poly than just say "in a relationship with" it is also uch better then saying "its complicated"

Especially since it's not always "complicated", at least not in the way I understand that status to mean. I always figured "it's complicated" is for people with those relationships where they haven't completely defined or committed to anything, but they know there's something there... or else they're in the midst of a trial separation, etc. IOW, I always assume "it's complicated" means they're not exactly sure where they stand... whereas with poly, you often know exactly where you stand.

Just for shits'n'giggles, I tried to be in an open relationship with my alter-ego facebook account (which existed only for playing those stupid games) and it said "Mercedes is already in a relationship"

yeesh.

HAHAHAHAHAHA......that is freekin' hilarious!!!!

I wanted to acknowledge my boyfriend, because I didn't like the idea of "hiding" him, but at the same time not that many people know we're together... So I decided to go through facebook.
I couldn't add another relationship, which I expected. He couldn't add one with me, either. In the end he chose "in an open relationship" without specifying with whom.

I also have Relationship +, which allows me to have both my husband and my boyfriend in the same place, which I like. I hide the app from anyone but friends though.

My feeling is that facebook assumed that "open relationship" means you're with just one person, you sleep around with people who don't matter enough to be mentioned on facebook, and your "real" partner if fine with it.
For that reason, in Relationships+ I set it as "in a relationship with". I feel it's enough, plus I'm not sure it qualifies as "open", as it seems to me "open" might mean you don't have to ask before pursuing a new person.

That's interesting. I didn't know that.

I wish I could say that I am separated. I can't....can't really say I'm divorced, either, 'cause I am not.
Frustrating. I like to be truthful, and "it's complicated" is really deceiving.

It's not complicated. I'm separated from my husband....who I am still legally married to.

That's interesting. I didn't know that.

I wish I could say that I am separated. I can't....can't really say I'm divorced, either, 'cause I am not.
Frustrating. I like to be truthful, and "it's complicated" is really deceiving.

It's not complicated. I'm separated from my husband....who I am still legally married to.
Just my $.02 worth.....When I see someone with the status of "separated" I don't necessarily think about them as being legally "separated". I typically think they mean they're still married but not living with their spouse.

Facebook doesn't have "separated" or "getting divorced" as an option, just "it's complicated". That should be changed.

A lot of married couples I know who are nonmonogamous don't have themselves listed as being in an open relationship, because of not wanting to explain to family, co-workers, or high school classmates. One friend's teenaged daughter has her status as "in an open relationship", but her mom's status is just "married", although the only reason the teenager even knows about open relationships is that her mom is in one.

Back