Weight loss support

Just remember to TAKE IT EASY whenever you are doing a new distance. Don't push yourself for speed when you are adding distance, don't push yourself on distance if you are adding speed.

If your body is hurting-be gentle.

Just remember to TAKE IT EASY whenever you are doing a new distance. Don't push yourself for speed when you are adding distance, don't push yourself on distance if you are adding speed.

If your body is hurting-be gentle.

And you couldn't have told me that Saturday? :p Ah well walking kind of hurts today but I can still skate like a Maux Faux :D (I went to practice tonight)

Boy am I sore today! I feel like I've been hit by a truck. :( I would expect this if I worked out in a gym for an hour - but I only took a brisk 45 min walk.

Now I'm not so sure about the 5K. Maybe I'll work up to it and do it next year. Plus - I desperately need new walking/tennis shoes. Mine are really old and don't have the support I need.

I'm going to try to do 2 15-min walks today instead of a full 30-45 min.

Off for my first 15 min walk . . .

Boy am I sore today! I feel like I've been hit by a truck. :( I would expect this if I worked out in a gym for an hour - but I only took a brisk 45 min walk.

Now I'm not so sure about the 5K. Maybe I'll work up to it and do it next year. Plus - I desperately need new walking/tennis shoes. Mine are really old and don't have the support I need.

The human body is amazing at adapting to walking. ITs kind of how we were build.

Use the 2x 15 min walk days as recovery days. But you should still try and push every few days for 45 minutes.

No weight loss yet :mad:, but this is not unusual, last time it was only every 3 weeks that I saw any progress.

Last week was really good for getting me back into taking my walks. 2 days at 1 hour, 1 day 1/2 hour plus 1/2 of arm weights. Saturday walked around the Ren Faire for 4+ hours and Sunday took a hike with the family. Apparently my husband thought I needed steep hills, my calves are still screaming at me, but the view was awesome.

Last night I decided my calves needed a rest. However, it felt wrong sitting at home. The front door was open and I was anxious and antsy, the rest of my body was saying go take a walk (then I stood up and tried to walk :eek:). This is such a good sign, it's how I felt the last time I lost 50+lbs.

Last edited:
Go Sneac. Keep the water consumption up, and see if you can find one dietary change you can add in this week. ;)

You rock Sneac!

I've had a salad (made fresh by GG) the last 3 days in a row. YUMMY.

I didn't get out and exercize today. I feel like SHIT. My head is pounding and I feel like I got run over by a train.
The littlest one went to the Dr. today. There is an unfortunate possibility that we're dealing with mono. Haha, not to be confused with Mono or monogamy. :p I HOPE not. No blood test yet, (expensive). Supposed to go back in to the Dr in a couple days.

I`ve dropped 8 *true* lbs thus far.

Being really busy, and spring being here, is helping me quite a bit.

Every day except for Tuesday I have done something active. Yesterday it was yoga and the gardening. I've also been eating fruit in the evening when I get hungry rather than some of the less healthy options that I have been choosing.

Yea SourGirl!! That's awesome!!

After a great Mother's Day out with 2rings and the kiddos - the kids and I (2rings had to go to work) ended the day with a walk (me) and bike ride (them) with our dog on our local trails. The kids played in the woods, ran around with the dog, threw rocks etc and I enjoyed every minute of it! The weather was beautiful, the kids were well behaved and the dog actually cooperated for the first time. She hates being walked with her halty and typically pulls the entire time, fights with other dogs and chases bicyclists. I'll definitely take her with me again - she needs to lose some weight too!

I used to racewalk and once had a training session with Olympic racewalker Viisha Sedlak - she was very inspirng. Anyhoo - the right shoes are very important. Running is different from walking but most of the walking shoes they make are too stiff for walking. Best to find racing flats for walking because they are lightweight and very flexible. You should be able to bend the shoe in one hand to see if it's flexible enough.

I concur Nyc.
I wear running shoes-I almost NEVER run, but I wear them for my workouts-because walking shoes just did not cut the mustard. ;)

Walked about 2 miles the last two days. My legs are sore so I'm taking it easy today. I think I'll do some light workout with my 5lb weights and some situps after work. I still need to get new shoes as I'm getting pain in my left foot after walking 10-15 minutes. Hopefully I'll get a chance to go shopping this weekend. I'm still eating out of emotion - but it's getting a little better.

I hear you on the NEW SHOES! I look at it this way, $30/mo for a gym membership I won't use or $60-75 every 6 months for good running shoes I will take for a walk 4-5 times a week. After about 6 months the shoes were fine for everyday stuff, just not intense walking, so they all got rotated out. Watch for the Big 5 sidewalk sales, they usually have really good deals. Of course we always need an excuses to make a road trip to the outlet mall :p.

Just some thoughts :

For those wanting to walk, you have to 'learn' how to walk, to maximize your benefits.

A steady pace, through-out your walk, actually isn`t very helpful.

You should speed up, and work your body hard, walking fast for up to 60 seconds if you are new to walking, or up to 6 minutes if you are in shape.

Then slow down and walk steady for 90 seconds/10 minutes.

This pattern actually helps your body burn calories better, and work your heart rate. All in all, the beauty of inertia.

I actually love to run, as my body has great stamina,...and walking is technically more difficult for me. I lose weight faster if I am walking at various speeds, on various terrain, and various inclines, then I do when I am jogging around.

The only time that changes, is when I am playing soccer.

A steady pace, through-out your walk, actually isn`t very helpful.

Actually it is extremely helpful when dealing with stress injuries and just trying to get out and move. I need months at a steady pace just to keep from developing shin splints (so painful I can't walk home) and muscle cramps.

I will work toward the fast/slow cycle once my legs have proven that I won't find myself a mile from home crying on the curb for 20 minutes. Thanks for the info.:D

Actually it is extremely helpful when dealing with stress injuries and just trying to get out and move. I need months at a steady pace just to keep from developing shin splints (so painful I can't walk home) and muscle cramps.

I will work toward the fast/slow cycle once my legs have proven that I won't find myself a mile from home crying on the curb for 20 minutes. Thanks for the info.:D

Actually increased heartrate for 60 seconds (or more) can be achieved in other ways. You could windmill/pump your arms, instead of your legs. Thereby increasing the pace of your upper body, and keeping the pressure off your lower body. :)

That said, its important to do whats right FOR YOU and not overwhelm yourself trying to do more then you feel capable of. The thoughts provided are meant for those who are ready to start maximizing what they do, or who are ready to push themselves for a bit more. :D

actually isn`t very helpful.

My issue was just with this statement. Because slow and stead does work great for a while and then it doesn't.

Actually increased heartrate for 60 seconds (or more) can be achieved in other ways. You could windmill/pump your arms, instead of your legs. Thereby increasing the pace of your upper body, and keeping the pressure off your lower body. :)

Very true. I really do appreciate the advice.

Back