Unitarian Universalists for Polyamory Awareness (UUPA)

There is more than one congregation here and I have no idea how to make the decision which one to start going to regularly.

Seeking a spiritual center which both my love and I can share was more because I am Pagan and he is Christian.

I encourage you to visit several congregations. They will likely be very different. I also encourage you to talk candidly with the minister and/or lay leaders of each congregation. UUPA has trifold brochures on its website that you can carry with you for the minister and leaders, if you'd like.

Congregations that have a "Welcoming Congregation" designation have done extensive work around inclusion for bisexual, gay, lesbian, and transgender people. This isn't the same as doing work around polyamory, but the concepts and language are similar. The uua.org "Find a Congregation" function will tell you which congregations are designated "Welcoming Congregations."

If you'd like to, you can ask on the UUPoly email list if anyone has recommendations. You have to subscribe to post. There's a link to it on the UUPA website. Note that UUPoly has open archives.

I encourage you to visit several congregations. They will likely be very different. I also encourage you to talk candidly with the minister and/or lay leaders of each congregation. UUPA has trifold brochures on its website that you can carry with you for the minister and leaders, if you'd like.

Congregations that have a "Welcoming Congregation" designation have done extensive work around inclusion for bisexual, gay, lesbian, and transgender people. This isn't the same as doing work around polyamory, but the concepts and language are similar. The uua.org "Find a Congregation" function will tell you which congregations are designated "Welcoming Congregations."

If you'd like to, you can ask on the UUPoly email list if anyone has recommendations. You have to subscribe to post. There's a link to it on the UUPA website. Note that UUPoly has open archives.

Thanks for the information. :) I have been to the websites for the congregations in the area. They are all welcoming congregations. However I thought I had joined the UUPoly mailing list and it looks like I hadn't. I'm going to do that right now.

It seems the CUUPS chapter may serve more than one of the congregations as well. They have a mailing list and I'm joining that also.

greenearthal, that story almost has a fairy tale quality. Like join the UUs and you'll find your princess/prince charmings and lots of poly people :D Or that's just me lol.

~Raven~

Ha! I'm willing to be that there's a good chance I know lots of the same people you do. Now I'm really wondering who your ex is!!!

His name is Aidan (started seminary as Heidi, he's trans). He's been to maybe 2 GAs and has done some youth ministry. Currently doing internship in Davis, California.

My experience was more the other way around. I met a really cool person that introduced me to UU and Poly. I guess through going to Opus (the UU worship retreat for UUYA(young adult) I did meet a lot more polys/poly-curious people).

I have found that congregations and churches vary a LOT. And even my big urban UU church seems a bit stiff to me at times. But I feel like any city I visit I can go to service at the local UU church and make a bunch of friends. I feel the same way about Quaker and UCC churches, but I feel like I have to confess to them that I will never subscribe to their doctrine. I prefer the UU church where there are but seven principles and nothing else to subscribe to. And all of the seven principles are totally cool with me.

check this out...lwet me know what you think!

My girlfriend visited this very interesting church with my mother-in-law while here in the states http://www.mcctopeka.org/region2.html
This church she said is churstian and christ base but done so so differently. SHe said even the communion was done by couples recieveing the blood/body... gay couples, straight, poly, ext. I noticed on their website there are other like minded churches around the US check this out... it is cool how even their chuch mission statement is to help make the U.S. community aware of aids/hiv, to serve/volunteer int heir local communities, and to be open to all kinds of people!!! Their sunday school class for children is even called "Rainbow Kids".... let me know what you think!

My girlfriend visited this very interesting church with my mother-in-law while here in the states http://www.mcctopeka.org/region2.html
Nice link, Tahirabs! I notice that there is a New York branch as well at http://www.mccny.org/ and that they have had some involvement with the Poly Pride festivities. Shame that something like that is only in the city and not spread a little more throughout other areas of the state, but it's a start, at least.

My experience was more the other way around. I met a really cool person that introduced me to UU and Poly. I guess through going to Opus (the UU worship retreat for UUYA(young adult) I did meet a lot more polys/poly-curious people).

I have found that congregations and churches vary a LOT. And even my big urban UU church seems a bit stiff to me at times. But I feel like any city I visit I can go to service at the local UU church and make a bunch of friends. I feel the same way about Quaker and UCC churches, but I feel like I have to confess to them that I will never subscribe to their doctrine. I prefer the UU church where there are but seven principles and nothing else to subscribe to. And all of the seven principles are totally cool with me.

There are UCC churches here as well. Their websites are not as in depth as the local UU congregations'. But we're planning on exploring both.

As per Jasmine's recommendation, I've been looking at the newsletters of the UU churches here to get a feel for them before we check them out.

I found a link I came across long ago when I was first researching UU as well. http://www.unirondack.org/

It's a UU camp and conference center. In the Adirondacks (mountains yay!) They have spiritual retreats and camps there which seem as though they'd be fun and peaceful. I've added it to my list with the Pagan retreats. Places to meditate, ground and center, commune and reflect with kindred spirits are places I seek out.

I am hoping none of the UU churches here are stiff. Flexible is good. I do wish I had gotten a chance to go to one service at the UU where I used to live before I moved. But alas, onwards and upwards.

~Raven~

I have been to Unicamp (which is a wonderful place (which is where I actually met Ceoli the first time)) but I have never quite made it across the state to Unirondack for anything. Not for lack of wanting to or really cool opportunities to do neat things there.

Here's a great website that lists UU camps and conference centers all across the US for anyone interested in going to any retreats or conferences.

http://www.cu2c2.org/

And aww...Unicamp...such lovely memories :) Yay for outdoor showers!

Here's a great website that lists UU camps and conference centers all across the US for anyone interested in going to any retreats or conferences.

http://www.cu2c2.org/

And aww...Unicamp...such lovely memories :) Yay for outdoor showers!

Oooh, thanks!

It is funny, I heard about Expansive Loving, the first online poly group I was to join, through the mailing list for a Pagan retreat, Starwood.

EDIT: I could possibly go to Unicamp and then Unirondack OR... are you ready? Unirondack and then Unicamp. Yeah... *nods*

~Raven~

Last edited:
I am a UU :)

I've been aware of the UU polys for awhile now, though I've yet to contact them.

I'm the webmaster for the UU church I belong to, and I have a link up to them.

Unicamp, is that the one in Ontario, that has Bob's Beach? :)

Yep, that's the one. The fantastic clothing optional beach on the pond with the trampoline float :D

Which church are you the webmaster of?

Yep, that's the one. The fantastic clothing optional beach on the pond with the trampoline float :D

Which church are you the webmaster of?
Ceoli:

I am the webmaster for a church in Woodruff,WI.

And I've never actually been to Bob's Beach, but it sounds great, and as a NUUdist, that's how I know about it. :)

This morning we went to one of the UU churches in our area. I was very nervous at first but it was terrific. Everyone was kind and more than a little welcoming, offering lots of information before and after the service over tea and later cookies.

It was a lovely morning. I'm glad we went.

~Raven~

I have been very interested in the UU group for sometime, I really value their ideals and welcoming community, I have visited a couple in other states, and felt welcome but was not there long term based on duration of my time in the area. I have thought about going to the one here in Rochester, I have been told it is a very diverse and dynamic group. I like the idea that they are accepting of poly people and different paths of spirituality and faith. I have a hard time with organized religion, but have found that the UU group does not directly impact my issues on that level.

And now that NY is my home, for long term, I feel more comfortable in joining such community.

Back