The Official Poly.fm Feedback/Development Thread

thanks man :)

A lot of progress is being made with groups; lots of experimentation and tweaking has been happening over the past week or so. I'm hoping to have that "Groups" button active by the end of this week. updates to come!

Groupified

Hey all -

The foray into Groups has been under way for a while now. It's not totally finished yet but I'd like to post an update just so you can start fiddling with stuff and see how it feels. I've outlined some of the details below but I think it would be best for you to just feel it out without reading all that, just to see if it makes sense. It's unconventional so this could be a total flop, but I'm hoping that the structure can become a bit of an acquired taste.

Something to note - in the next update, Group activity will be paired to your Profile, so if you participate in a thread (it goes Groups > Threads), your profile will show off your activity.

This way it's easy to get a quick idea of what someone's all about by looking at their profile activity.

You'll be able to see the meat of the update if you click on the now active "Groups" menu item.

Looking forward to your feedback :)

===========================================

Update Specs:
  • Improved "forgot password" functionality
  • Basic blog set up in the footer
  • Improved Messaging design (bolded usernames upon new message, current conversation indicator, resizing glitch corrections)
  • javascript warning - if you don't have javascript, the site warns you and tries to help you enable it if you want to
  • Notifications/Messaging Feed updates - new content is bolded upon receipt
  • Sex/Orientation Filter Fix - you can now select multiple options in the Sex/Orientation dropdowns in the People Filter
  • Privacy Settings updates - Settings > Privacy now uses sliders instead of check boxes
  • My Profile Activity Feed - you can now post updates to your Activity Feed
  • Email notifications - check out Settings > Email
  • Groups - this one's big:
Groups is where you go to discuss stuff with people. You can Join groups and Unjoin Groups. You can currently create new Threads within any group. You can "Up" Threads or the Comments within those Threads to quickly express a sense of support for content. You can sort Threads or Comments within those threads by New (time submitted), Top (Ups received), or Activity (how much participation the content is eliciting per view)

That's the big stuff. I REALLY hope you guys like it... fingers crossed on my end. Can't wait to hear what you think.

(access code to beta.poly.fm is 'rpoly')

Also - the styling between People and Groups is a little different. In Groups the buttons are hard-edged and the actions are all lowercase. I'd love to know which one you like more - I'm undecided.

Groups: Fully Baked

Whew, busy week. Quick update here - Groups has been reworked and updated - hopefully it's a bit easier to figure out now.

Ryan - thanks for that last bit of feedback. Think this update makes things a little easier?

Your profile feed now pulls in your activity from the Groups section too (you can turn that off in Settings>Feed if you'd like). How does everything feel? Are you overwhelmed, or does it seem pretty intuitive?

Thanks VERY much to everyone who's responded here - this wouldn't be half as cool as it is now without all the feedback you've given. As always, your input is welcome and desired :).

Next up: Events, and this round of feedback.

Last edited:
The doors at poly.fm are officially open - no more access code required. Events and the homepage feed are still in the works, but the site is usable. Cheers!

Uh oh! Looks like we have a bug... in Firefox, anyway. I haven't tested it in my other browsers yet.

I'm not able to move the sliders in the "Custom Privacy Level" dialog box.

NYCindie - you should be able to use the same username/password that you used in beta. Let me know if you have any trouble logging in with that :)

Albizia - thanks for the bug report! I'll get on that.

poly.fm has been shut down. Suggest the mods close this thread.

Back