"Stop me if you've heard this one" - clichés we've heard from non-polys

Stereotypes, clichés, put-downs, prejudices

Hi!
You are invited to submit the sort of anti-Polyamory comments you've heard or read. You may also submit your own replies to same. I'll start with 2 examples:
"You're just too immature to handle a REAL relationship!"
My heart's just too big to be limited to petty, stingy love.​
"If you spread your love too widely, it's never deep anywhere."
If you take a thimbleful, or a litre... or a square kilometre of water from the ocean, is the ocean noticeably shallower?​

Welcome, welcome welcome! Thanks for the best intro I think I've ever read on this board and then straight into a link to a really good thread! I am thoroughly impressed.

We've been told "you're just not that into each other"

and

"He obviously does make your heart sing and your soul soar"

to which I say "Garbage" (just for Redpepper);)

"If you truly loved someone, they would be enough and you wouldn't even look at another person." :mad:

I call BS...lol

"You just haven't met the right person yet who can fulfill all your needs."

My reply is that I don't want someone to fulfill my needs, as only I can do it.

But sometimes I only reply: Yeah, maybe. :p

"If you were really happy with your wife you wouldn't be wanting to go poly." This from a poly person too, go figure...

"You need to grow up and realize you're married" - Mr. Panda, about 5 minutes before I decided to stop talking to him.

There must have been something wrong with or missing in your marriage if a) you decided to try swinging and b) 2rings fell so hard for someone else.

Of course - neither was true but try telling that to people.

fun topic

"You're just greedy and oversexed!"
My reply: We're gay men...if all you want is just more sex, it's easier if you stay single! :p

"I can't even get one man let alone two!"
My reply: Sounds like your problem, not mine. :rolleyes:

"This isn't some kinda kinky Mormon thing is it?!?"
My reply: "MOTHER PLEASE!" :eek:

:D

"If you truly loved someone, they would be enough and you wouldn't even look at another person." :mad:

I call BS...lol
Even before I started down the road to poly, I'd get this kind of thing for looking...and yeah, I looked...my response was always the same...
"I'm married...NOT dead!"

Even before I started down the road to poly, I'd get this kind of thing for looking...and yeah, I looked...my response was always the same...
"I'm married...NOT dead!"

Couple of guys at work were talking about "window shopping" with lots of hastily added "as long as my wife doesn't catch me" and "always look but don't touch". I couldn't help by smile knowingly and shake my head.

A friend of mine said to me "oh, but I suppose if you were in a real relationship......"

My reaction was "We've been seeing each other for close to a year, so it is pretty real actually, and yes, his other girlfriend is also real"

I did feel a little sad :(
It made me feel that the relationships I have aren't recognised as something valuable in the eyes of some of the other people whom I care for, and who care for me.

That bit hurts from time to time...

"You can't have your cake and eat it too."
Watch me!

"Wouldn't it just be easier to screw around like everyone else??"
Easier? Probably. More fulfilling? No way!

In talking to some friends about wanting to be poly, they both reacted similarly:

"But that's just setting yourself up to be hurt!"

Like a mono relationship doesn't??? As if there's some magical situation that guarantees never feeling hurt? [sigh]

Another friend said:

"Geez, I can't even find one man to be with and you want two or three?"

Subtext: "How can you be so selfish???" [another sigh]

Last edited:
"Geez, I can't even find one man to be with and you want two or three?"

Subtext: "How can you be so selfish???" [another sigh]

Oh yeah, that's similar to one I mentioned.

I find that bitter single people bring up that line VERY often. It's a two-in-one punch---try to show disapprovement of polyamory while at the same time pulling a "pity me" scenerio.

This is probably why we have very few single friends right now.

Back