Poly Sims

Fayerweather

Has anyone on here played Sims? For those who haven't, it's a computer game (it can be played on i-pods, smart phones, i-pads/tablets as well as home computers). It involves creating and caring for a virtual town full of virtual people.

You make them eat, sleep, go to the bathroom, plant crops, work at jobs. You can change thier clothes, eye colors, skin colors, design their houses. Basically and in a limited sort of way, you act as "God" to your town of little virtual people. it's addictively fun, though maybe only for a limited amount of time. Myself and both of my partners are playing it currently.

The thing that interests me most about these little people (and what interests me most in real life in general) are their interpersonal relationships. You can make two Sims become "aquaintances", "best friends", you can make them "date", "get married" etc by having them complete behaviors towards one another designed to have these specific outcomes. The thing that I found interesting (and pretty darn cool) is that it isn't sex specific. Two women can fall in love and get married and eventually have a little Sim baby, and so can two men. Even MORE interestingly, they don't have to be monogamous.

I was told by long ago Sim players, that if two Sims become "romantic" with one another and a third Sim tries to cut in and be "romantic" with a member of the existing couple, fights and jealousy would break out. The interloper Sim would get slapped, or get in a fight with the member of the couple who got "jealous". This is no longer the case. I immediately made all my Sims romantically involved with all my other Sims (like the good poly girl I am :rolleyes:). At one point, two of my Sims got "married", but that still didn't stop them from having relations with other people, directly in front of their spouses. The only restriction I've found so far is that a Sim may not "marry" more than one person at once. But I like the changes that have happened in the game so far.

Really? That would be cool. :)

The only way I know this to work in The Sims 2 is by downloading game mods that allow you to disable that standard "jealousy effect", with the slapping and the insanely sharp drop in relationship points and an anger buff that you'd have to work hard for a sim-week, at least, to work back up from. (I very much liked to switch all that mess off for playing, myself.)

In TS3 - which I only bought up to the Pets expansion - I know you've always been able to buy "no jealousy" as a specific lifetime award with the "mood points" in game, for every sim you'd want it for. Did they disable jealousy completely with a recent add-on or patch?

HAH! I played it briefly about a decade ago and yes, I remember the arguments and fights when I tried to flirt a girl after already being involved with a guy :(

My husband just got me a copy of Sims 3 that I tried out, but I assumed it was the same. On the other hand...my sims had a cat, and that was such a time consuming relationship that I didn't even feel I had time to try to flirt with anybody else let alone date.... :|

Much like in real life...almost all of my time was spent at home avoiding other people and trying to get my husband in bed to woohoo me with less frequent success than I'd like :rolleyes:

I play the SIMS3 Free download on my i-Pad. There was never any jealousy. I didn't have to disable it, it just wasn't there. Huh. I'm not familiar enough with the different versions of SIMS to know why this is. But I do love it as an element to the game. It feels like as a poly person, I get to play with poly SIMS, which makes me feel special :D

Back