Inside The Mind of this Mono

And Leo? What do you think about that dynamic in terms of the rest of our tribe?
I have to be honest. Leo is a great guy that I think of as any other of my friends. I don't consider the impact my own wants have on him the way I do with PN and Derby. I don't think of him as part of our tribe so much as a valued family friend. But that works, so I'm cool with that! I know you love him.

I am in a similar position to you, Mono. We were best friends first, deeply attracted. Their marriage opened, and he and I became lovers. It's been going on for many years now. He has become a tantra educator. He had another lover during the time I left him due to his new condition that he have more lovers. When in full love, I just can't get how you can share them with someone else. It feels like the universe is laughing at me. If he were to go for another lover now, I would leave him in a flash.

I too am in full authentic compersion regarding their marriage. His wife has opened herself to two other lovers who he gets in bed with, and engages, though he says he does not have intercourse with them.

Any reference to his sexual engagement with others through tantra practices, his wife's lovers, the lover he recently had, have caused my mind to imagine the acts and it has become self torture. I have learned to manage this mindset over the last year, having returned to him and this new paradigm, but become overwhelmed with all of it when too much is going on.

Basically, I have asked him to keep his sexual engagements to himself. But it's hard to go to our special places knowing he brought his last lover to those same places. It is hard for him to have to keep his personal sexual life out of our conversations. And when I reach my limit of coping, and express my feelings that usually contain unresolved resentment, he reacts strongly.

Now he asks me to take a good look at myself and figure out whether I belong with him. I have actually been doing that all along. He calls me his 'slipper baby.'

I wish I could come upon my own monogamous partner, or maybe a poly one who'd be open to the continuation of this relationship. The imbalance here is crazy making. His life is full of sexual activity, including me in a major way. My heart has slowly retracted even though he states it to be unlikely he'll take on another lover, unless in a call for healing.

I am at a loss right now. I am prepared to leave him because my heart has detached quite a bit over the last months. Perhaps this is the time I can tell my sub-conscious and conscious mind that his sex with others is not really an issue anymore.

I've always thought the only way I can handle all this is if my heart pulls away. Now that that's happened, maybe I can be ok to hang around, and actually be poly myself. At least until a mono shows up in my life.

I have been a cup-half-empty life evaluator. And that's why I think I've brought this situation into my life. I am getting closer to seeing the cup half full and filling up, having deeply worked with myself, emotions and spiritual base. But I'm not there yet.

Any responses will be welcome.

I've always thought the only way I can handle all this is if my heart pulls away. Now that that's happened, maybe I can be ok to hang around, and actually be poly myself. At least until a mono shows up in my life.

I have a similar belief. Not that I can't handle my current situation. That's easy and I love it. But in order to handle an open relationship approach to poly would require more distance, I think. The problem with that is the weaker I imagine my connection becoming, the greater the risk that it slips away or that I form a new one. New connections for monos are only good for two people, not three.
I wish I could come upon my own monogamous partner

This is a very powerful statement, my friend. This tells me you are settling. I have never wanted RP all to myself, as in taking her away from her husband. I had a monogamous partner who gave me that experience for almost 18 years, so I don't feel lacking in that area.

Keep searching inside. Good luck

Back