Curiosity

jeahn1993

Hi, my name is Jeahn.

I am a freshman in college and in my rhetorical class, we have been learning about the changes that have occurred in the society concerning the dating and relationship scripts. We read an article in our textbook about polyamory and since then, I have been interested and curious about this choice of relationship.

If you guys don't mind, I would like to know more about the Poly society.

I am mostly curious as to why people chose to become Polys. What reasons and factors affected your decision into joining the society?

There is a recent thread that touches on whether poly is a CHOICE or an IDENTITY for people...

Here is the link (hopefully): Is polyamory a sexual identity, just like being queer?

To some people, it is just a relationship structure that makes sense. To others it is some inherent quality. Some people identify as poly (capable of loving more than one at one particular time), but live monogamously. Almost every person on this forum has a different story. Some may share common themes, but people turn to or discover polyamory for a variety of reasons.

Personally, I discovered the term polyamory and it just fit what I'd been feeling: the desire to continue seeking (or following up on potential) relationships and what could have become romantic love for a close friend while still being 100% in love with my husband. I didn't join a society, and I've actually never met anyone who identified as poly BEFORE having me explain the concept to them.

I suggest that you do some reading here. check out some tags that interest you in the search engine and spend some time. All of your questions are answered right here in the numerous posts and threads people have written here. I don't think that anyone can answer your questions as a one off. It would be like asking someone to tell you about themselves... way too complicated and involved to write in one post.

Calling polyamory a society that anyone has "joined" is a rather strange way of looking at it. There actually is an organization called The Polyamory Society, but that's an advocacy group and no one needs to join it to live polyamorously. Read as much as you can. Look at the sticky notes at the tops of our forums here, where you will find suggestions for books, other websites, and relevant discussion threads here, if you want to learn more.

Back